iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   RV trip wizard to Rand McNally (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/rv-trip-wizard-to-rand-mcnally-387414.html)

oldsaltyone 04-16-2018 07:05 PM

RV trip wizard to Rand McNally

I have spent hours laying out a new trip on trip wizard and believe I have it done correctly as this is my first attempt. Because I have been using the Rand McNally 7735 for year I want to put the new trip into the 7735 GPS so I can drive with it. I keep trying to save it in trip wizard then putting it into the Rand McNally dock but can't seem to pull this off. Most of the day gone and I still can't get the Rand to see the trip.
Please any help will be appreciated.

MRUSA14 04-16-2018 07:09 PM

I put it in by hand because it is not worth my time to do what you just did. Sometimes these automated processes take longer than doing it the old fashioned way.

timjet 04-17-2018 05:10 AM

Have you used the "Send to GPS" option in Trip Wizard. It's listed after clicking on the wrench icon. There is information there on using the Rand McNally dock. I'm not a RM user so can't help there.

Dr. Q 04-24-2018 02:44 PM

I intend to load a trip into my RM GPS in a few days via the export to GPS function. I will use the Dock software to get the trip onto the SIM card.

I'll report back my experience, as this is the first time I've done this as well

oldsaltyone 04-25-2018 09:23 AM

I tried the send to gps and saved it to my desktop in both file formats but then can not get it into the dock successfully.
I did like someone else suggested and just load it by hand to the RM. This works but makes twice the work.

Dr. Q 04-27-2018 06:22 PM

OK...back with an update.

I could find no way to import RV Trip Wizard into the RD Dock software. I even tried importing the Trip Wizard routing into Good Sams or into TripMaker....no option for that in either one.

As much as I like RV Trip Wizard, it's only good for planning... No help in getting your planned route into the Rand McNally Navigation System

oldsaltyone 04-28-2018 09:17 AM

Thats what I am finding also. I plan the trip on trip wizard then manually apply the stops to RM. Im not sure trip wizard is worth all the trouble. I do like the circles for distance traveled though.
Dave:sad:

ChuckD37 04-29-2018 03:59 PM

I like entering the trip by hand from the computer (or cellphone) into my GPS (sorry, not a RM, couldn't see them, anyway that's a different story). There Is a couple of reasons or this.
First, GPS's make mistakes. I am sure you have seen or heard of some strange moves by GPS.I always double check maps before I enter anything in GPS. The map may be Trip Wizard or Google maps, or even the old fashion paper ones.
Next, sometimes she wants to go a different way than I do and if I am sure I am going the right way I may add waypoints that makes sure we go where I want, not her.
And if I do it by hand I am even more familiar with the trip incase the GPS (or My Dear Bride) want to go wandering around somewhere else.
Regardless don't forget to have Phun.

eewilson818 04-29-2018 05:14 PM

I've been using the RV Trip Wizard and I like it's features very much.

I'm very disappointed that I cannot export the route into my Rand McMally Tablet 80. I used the Send to GPS function for Rand McNally. The only option is the Rand McNally Dock. I tried installing the the RM Dock on my computer. It said I must connect a device. I connected my Tablet 80 to my computer and tried again. Same message, it did not recognize my RM Tablet 80.

This is very disappointing and makes the trip wizard useless if I can't use my route to naviagate.

MRUSA14 04-29-2018 05:19 PM

Of course you can use your route to navigate. Just do as ChuckD37 says. I totally agree with him. Following a computer route without double checking it can lead you astray with the best of programs. Entering it into your GPS by hand gives you a chance to understand the route, correct mistakes, and modify it to suit your needs.

oldsaltyone 04-30-2018 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckD37 (Post 4163995)
I like entering the trip by hand from the computer (or cellphone) into my GPS (sorry, not a RM, couldn't see them, anyway that's a different story). There Is a couple of reasons or this.
First, GPS's make mistakes. I am sure you have seen or heard of some strange moves by GPS.I always double check maps before I enter anything in GPS. The map may be Trip Wizard or Google maps, or even the old fashion paper ones.
Next, sometimes she wants to go a different way than I do and if I am sure I am going the right way I may add waypoints that makes sure we go where I want, not her.
And if I do it by hand I am even more familiar with the trip incase the GPS (or My Dear Bride) want to go wandering around somewhere else.
Regardless don't forget to have Phun.

Thanks Chuck

Dale & Mark Bruss 04-30-2018 06:30 AM

We still use MS Street & Trips for planning. We do a whole season route. Once we have the route planned, we transfer the route, a leg at a time into ALK CoPilot.

Since we use two tablets for driving, one for each of us, we do the entering of the trip legs on one of our smartphones and transfer the legs routes into the tablets using WiFi transfer. One of the advantages of using Android units.

aiken rver 04-30-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsaltyone (Post 4141671)
I have spent hours laying out a new trip on trip wizard and believe I have it done correctly as this is my first attempt. Because I have been using the Rand McNally 7735 for year I want to put the new trip into the 7735 GPS so I can drive with it. I keep trying to save it in trip wizard then putting it into the Rand McNally dock but can't seem to pull this off. Most of the day gone and I still can't get the Rand to see the trip.

My RM is integrated into an Xite Infotainment system. Do you have a removable SD Card that works with the Docking software. If so, you download the gps file as Download CSV file. Then copy the downloaded file to the SD card.

On the SD card is a folder named RM. Open the RM folder. Open the ImportTrip folder and copy the GPS CSV into this folder. I change the name of the file from gps-download.csv to the nameofthetrip.csv.

When you plug the SD card back into the GPS it will then import the file and remove it from the ImportTrip folder. The trip will be in the MUTISTOP TRIPS under the name you gave the file.

Hope this works for your system. If you are into file editing, you can edit the csv file contents.

oldsaltyone 05-01-2018 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timjet (Post 4142120)
Have you used the "Send to GPS" option in Trip Wizard. It's listed after clicking on the wrench icon. There is information there on using the Rand McNally dock. I'm not a RM user so can't help there.

I tried but couldn't make it work with dock. Thanks

aiken rver 05-01-2018 09:31 PM

The RVTW doesn't use the dock for importing the trip. It simply downloads the
GPS file to your disk then you need to rename the file and copy itto the SD Card. No dock required.

Dr. Q 05-03-2018 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiken rver (Post 4166125)
My RM is integrated into an Xite Infotainment system. Do you have a removable SD Card that works with the Docking software. If so, you download the gps file as Download CSV file. Then copy the downloaded file to the SD card. On the SD card is a folder named RM. Open the RM folder. Open the ImportTrip folder and copy the GPS CSV into this folder. I change the name of the file from gps-download.csv to the nameofthetrip.csv. When you plug the SD card back into the GPS it will then import the file and remove it from the ImportTrip folder. The trip will be in the MUTISTOP TRIPS under the name you gave the file.

Hope this works for your system. If you are into file editing, you can edit the csv file contents.

Thanks for the "Leg work" on this. This method worked perfectly...

oldiesx2 05-03-2018 05:10 PM

I have done the same and am about to call the techs at RVTrip Wizard or RandMcNally to find out what they can advise. I will post here when I get an answer.

Pappi 05-03-2018 05:39 PM

I had the same issue with my RVND7. The only way I could get a trip from another program to load through DOCK was to download it as a poi. Now that may work if you know anything about GPS unit, but I am still learning how to use one.

aiken rver 05-04-2018 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappi (Post 4170896)
I had the same issue with my RVND7. The only way I could get a trip from another program to load through DOCK was to download it as a poi. Now that may work if you know anything about GPS unit, but I am still learning how to use one.

The Dock POI import has a provision for loading into the Address Book. The problem for me with this is I use waypoints in RVTripWizard to force the Nav to go a certain roads and when the file is imported thru the POI it changes the order of the waypoints and it also adds each waypoint to the address book. The file is placed in Groups, but reordered.

By copying the CVS file into TripImport folder the order remains intact ad the individual waypoints don't get added to the address book.

oldsaltyone 05-04-2018 02:55 PM

I have saved the .csv file to a folder on my desktop then when I try to import it into the dock software it does not show up as a multi stop trip.
Shouldn't that be the same as putting it on a sd card?
Thanks
Dave

YC1 05-04-2018 03:02 PM

I tried this last night. I exported the trip and imported it into the Rand. It showed up as addresses and not a trip.

Rv Trip Wizard just does not work well for me. It really frustrates me.

I think the way to improve the operation is to break the long trips down into daily trips and then it will recalculate quicker.

Streets and trips still lives on my computer and it is used too.

DogFather415 05-04-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

My RM is integrated into an Xite Infotainment system. Do you have a removable SD Card that works with the Docking software. If so, you download the gps file as Download CSV file. Then copy the downloaded file to the SD card. On the SD card is a folder named RM. Open the RM folder. Open the ImportTrip folder and copy the GPS CSV into this folder. I change the name of the file from gps-download.csv to the nameofthetrip.csv. When you plug the SD card back into the GPS it will then import the file and remove it from the ImportTrip folder. The trip will be in the MUTISTOP TRIPS under the name you gave the file.

This was exactly the information I was looking for. The RV is new to me and I have been getting familiar with the systems. Transferring the GPS file was getting frustrating. I would just enter by hand. Your guidance to use the .csv was the one thing I had not tried. Touchdown! Crowd goes wild.

Thanks for the post.

aiken rver 05-05-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YC1 (Post 4172220)
I tried this last night. I exported the trip and imported it into the Rand. It showed up as addresses and not a trip.

Rv Trip Wizard just does not work well for me. It really frustrates me.

I think the way to improve the operation is to break the long trips down into daily trips and then it will recalculate quicker.

Streets and trips still lives on my computer and it is used too.

The only way I have found to import a Multipoint trip as one trip is be copying the file from your computer to the SD card directly and not using the Dock software. If you have never imported a trip from Good Sam or Rand McNally you may not have the folder "ImportTrip" in the "RM" folder on your SD card. In that case you will need to create the folder. Once the folder is created it will remain on the SD card. When you copy the CSV file into the "RM/ImportTrip" folder be sure it has a meaningful name. When the SD card is inserted into the GPS (Turned OFF) and the GPS is turned ON the system will acknowledge the importing of the trip. Once imported, the file is deleted from the SD card but the folder empty remains. The new trip will be placed under Multipoint Trips.

Be sure you have "Fast Recalc" set ON. This will then only recalc for the next point and not the entire trip.

If you want the entire trip imported as a trip and individual addresses also then using the POI import on the Dock software will do that. It puts each stop as an address in your Address Book and the entire trip in the Groups tab. It does sort Group stops either alphabetically or by distance which I find unusable as I seldom travel by either of these but you can always use the stops which are now in your address book and select them each day.

As an aside here, I make a backup of all the files on my SD card often onto my hard drive. The SD card can not be duplicated, but all of the files can be saved and copied back onto the card should it become corrupt for some reason. I have had this happen a couple of times. I always turn the Nav System OFF before removing or inserting the SD card as precaution.

I find RVTripWizard does not work well with Chrome. It is much better with MS Edge. My all time favorite planning tool is the now unsupported
"RV Plan and Go 3013". When doing long trips I still do them in that program and then manually enter into RVTripWizard. Over all I find RVTW to be a pretty good, evolving program.

YC1 05-05-2018 09:08 AM

George,
That is an amazing tutorial and I will save that and experiment with it. The tip about using an SD card is excellent.

I know from working in Electronics for over 50 years that one must read the book, and if that does not work, then follow it.

Yes I must admit I have not gone to work on the manual as I would have in days past.

I had a SD card in my prior Rand so will see if it is still in there. If not, they are cheap.

I took my long trip from Florida to Calif and broke it down into daily trips last night and then made sure all of the address's got into the Rand. Printing out the long form of the trip will make it easy to see what the next waypoint is.

YC1 05-05-2018 09:11 AM

George,
Thanks again. While messing with my long trip I was deleting some of the waypoints and accidentally deleted the wrong one.

I did a help search and did not find an undo shortcut. What am I missing to be able to put it back in?

aiken rver 05-05-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YC1 (Post 4173312)
George,
Thanks again. While messing with my long trip I was deleting some of the waypoints and accidentally deleted the wrong one.

I did a help search and did not find an undo shortcut. What am I missing to be able to put it back in?

Sadly, you are not missing anything, there is no Undo. I keep asking RVTW for that.

If you know how to edit CSV files it is pretty easy to go into the file and label waypoints to something more meaningful than waypoint 1 before copying them over to the SD card.

Just to be clear you can not make a working copy of the SD card (or at least I've not figured out how). Just a backup that you can copy back onto the original.

TwiggieMom 05-10-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks for this suggestion, I am going to give it a try. Like others in this posting, I have been planning our trips in RVTW, and then manually inputting it into our GSRM system. It takes time, but the greater benefits and capabilities of RVTW make the effort worth it. By the time we hit the road, I am fully prepared to instruct DH pilot where to go and when.

aiken rver 05-11-2018 12:03 PM

Just for clarity.

The ImportTrip folder may not exist in the RM folder. It is only created if you use the Dock software to import from Good Sam or Rand McNally. If it is not on your SD card just create it. Once created (either by the Dock or you) it will remain on the card even after importing. Only the csv file getts deleted after importing.

USCGMech 05-12-2018 08:19 AM

If you own the RM OverDryve 7 RV device...you can create an ImportTrip folder in the .Navi>RM folder, then Use Send To GPS in RVTW to create the .CSV file. The file will be in the Downloads folder, rename the file to something that makes sense, move the file into the ImportTrip folder and it will be picked up when you go into Search > Guided Search > Multi-Stop Trips. It adds in all the stops, the GPS device calculates route. NOTE - if you have any data in the comments blocks in RVTW the import of the trip blows up. RVTW needs to remove comments from the Send to GPS .CSV file they create.

All the above can be done on the GPS device using Chrome for the RVTW parts and ES File Explorer (or similar app) for renaming the .CSV file and moving it from downloads to the ImportTrip folder you created.

whankins 05-31-2018 11:07 AM

RVND7 import - After reading the posts above this is how I made it work.
Save your trip as a CSV file
Go to your File Explorer (computer) and find your CSV file, right click, and copy file.
Then from File Explorer go to your USB driver (where your Rand McNally is connected).
Click on USB drive, you should see RM folder and open, we created the ImportTrip folder (see other post), highlight this fold, right click and paste your CSV file.
If you double click on that file you will see your CSV file in the ImportTrip folder.
Now go back and highlight the USB drive and right click, click eject. Get message safe to disconnect.
Then your Rand McNally GPS will restart. You will see custome POI ready for import. Say yes or follow instructions for importing.
My trip shows up under MultiTrip.
I have 58 stops on my trip from NC to westcoast and back. It did pick up "way point" I had added to one stop.
If any of you stops are missing check your CSV file for errors. I had one stops that had an ' in the name and a /. Once I took out those characters, saved the file and went thru the steps above again, all stops imported just fine.
Hope this helps.

MSHappyCampers 05-31-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whankins (Post 4217877)
RVND7 import - After reading the posts above this is how I made it work.
Save your trip as a CSV file
Go to your File Explorer (computer) and find your CSV file, right click, and copy file.
Then from File Explorer go to your USB driver (where your Rand McNally is connected).
Click on USB drive, you should see RM folder and open, we created the ImportTrip folder (see other post), highlight this fold, right click and paste your CSV file.
If you double click on that file you will see your CSV file in the ImportTrip folder.
Now go back and highlight the USB drive and right click, click eject. Get message safe to disconnect.
Then your Rand McNally GPS will restart. You will see custome POI ready for import. Say yes or follow instructions for importing.
My trip shows up under MultiTrip.
I have 58 stops on my trip from NC to westcoast and back. It did pick up "way point" I had added to one stop.
If any of you stops are missing check your CSV file for errors. I had one stops that had an ' in the name and a /. Once I took out those characters, saved the file and went thru the steps above again, all stops imported just fine.
Hope this helps.

Hi ! :wavey: Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang! :dance:

Thanks for the tip!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

Gordiegaffer 06-15-2018 03:38 PM

i used the earlier version of RVTW and had no problems loading a 2 month trip into good sam and that to RVTW i have not found a way to do this on the new version there are a lot of rand mcnally units out there make a simple way to do this

Dr. Q 06-16-2018 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordiegaffer (Post 4242794)
i used the earlier version of RVTW and had no problems loading a 2 month trip into good sam and that to RVTW i have not found a way to do this on the new version there are a lot of rand mcnally units out there make a simple way to do this

See post #23 for a step by step description of how to do this. The method described works perfectly with the Rand McNally systems.

jgallego 03-10-2019 11:42 AM

I got it to work with Rand McNally. Download the cvs of the route from the program. Open the cvs in excell. Then save and rename the file. With your Rand McNally gps connected to the dock. Do a windows e press both keys at the same time. Go to your gps in my case it was in drive e. Click on the RM folder, then click on ImportTrip folder, the paste the cvs file that you saved from excel here. It is a good idea to name the cvs file something like the trip name. For example I named mine gpsdownload and that is what shows up as the name of the trip in the gps multi-trip section.

Jaime

BobSchilling 08-30-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsaltyone (Post 4141671)

A SOLUTION THAT WORKS:
====================
I'm using RV Trip Wizard with a Rand McNally 7720. I received the following instructions from a tech at Trip Wizard:

Our users have been very successful with the process below. I have attached a sample trip if you wish to give it a try.
Just save the attachment to your computer somewhere, then skip step #1.

1) Export your trip as a CSV file (Send to GPS from the Trip menu wrench icon).
2) Go to your File Explorer (My Computer or just Computer) and find your CSV file. The default location should be your Downloads folder.
3) Right click the file and choose Copy.
4) Locate your Rand McNally device in the File Explorer / My Computer.
5) Open up the device by double-clicking.
6) Locate the RM folder and double-click to open.
7) Locate the ImportTrip folder. If for some reason there is not a folder with this name, create it. There is no space in the folder name, just "ImportTrip".
8) Open this folder by double-clicking.
9) Right click into the empty folder area and choose Paste, your CSV file should now be in the RM\ImportTrip folder.
10) Now go back and highlight Rand McNally device in File Explorer / My Computer and right click and choose EJECT.
11) Disconnect when you see the message that says it's safe to do so.
12) Your Rand McNally GPS will restart, if not, power it off and back on again.
13) You will see a custom POI ready for import.
14)) Say yes or follow instructions for importing.

Patrick - Site Support Team

I've used this process several times and it seems to work perfectly. The Trip Wizard site does say that your GPS may make minor changes to the route since it's importing a CVS file instead of a GPS file. Perhaps enough requests to Trip Wizard to better automate this process might help make it happen in the future. Back when I was using Good Sam's trip mapping software the process was nearly automatic. Don't see why Trip Wizard couldn't do the same. I m make a point of scanning the imported trip to be sure the route follows the one I created in TW.