iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   How do you cope with f53 chassis battery drain while stored (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/how-do-you-cope-with-f53-chassis-battery-drain-while-stored-392937.html)

wingnuts 05-23-2018 08:17 AM

How do you cope with f53 chassis battery drain while stored

How do you cope with f53 chassis battery drain while stored ...

I have heard of guys pulling the negative battery wire via quick disconnect, some use solar chargers to keep memory

There was a post awhile back where one owner let his chassis battery die and computer lost all memory, he said it was shifting funny and overall just not running right until all systems updated. Which took quite some time

the manufacturers left out a chassis battery cutoff switch on purpose because of memory loss

What do you guys use..

I just purchased a 5 watt solar charger. Some say it won't work were others say it will. ..may look into a 10 amp unit if it doesn't work

sbleiweiss 05-23-2018 08:22 AM

We plug in while in storage. Even a 15 or 20 amp circuit will keep it topped off, just be sure there aren't a bunch of other things running on that same circuit.

grumpyman 05-23-2018 08:29 AM

I use a battery disconnect switch if parked for more than a day left disconnected all winter motorhome never forgot anything !

wingnuts 05-23-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpyman (Post 4204231)
I use a battery disconnect switch if parked for more than a day left disconnected all winter motorhome never forgot anything !

Good to know. ..

Waiter21 05-23-2018 01:04 PM

On my MH, I hit the disconnect switches. No problems. On my truck and toad that sit in the barn for 6 months at a time, I bought one of those little battery minders and leave it plugged in..

Hikerdogs 05-23-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingnuts (Post 4204211)
How do you cope with f53 chassis battery drain while stored ...

I have heard of guys pulling the negative battery wire via quick disconnect, some use solar chargers to keep memory

There was a post awhile back where one owner let his chassis battery die and computer lost all memory, he said it was shifting funny and overall just not running right until all systems updated. Which took quite some time

the manufacturers left out a chassis battery cutoff switch on purpose because of memory loss

What do you guys use..

I just purchased a 5 watt solar charger. Some say it won't work were others say it will. ..may look into a 10 amp unit if it doesn't work

On our 2001 Adventurer we only had a house battery disconnect. I installed a chassis battery cutoff switch from Flaming River like this.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...CABEgJzHPD_BwE

I installed it in the battery compartment under the entry steps. It took about an hour. We left the motorhome up to 4 months at a time and never had a dead battery.

Our 2013 Adventurer has both a house and chassis battery disconnect switch. We have left this motorhome in storage over 3 months at a time and never had a battery problem.

Even though the batteries in both motorhomes had been disconnected for long periods we have never had any problems due to computer memory loss. The computer defaults to the original settings. It shifts, runs, accelerates and does everything else just like it did when it was brand new.

wingnuts 05-23-2018 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. ..

Picked up the motorhome a little while ago from storage, fully expecting to give her a jump and she fired right up...been about 5 weeks

I think I will go with the battery disconnect switch. ..

IggyTech 05-23-2018 07:09 PM

I don't disconnect my engine battery while in storage ( 2-3 months outside) and it starts up and it is the original put in in Oct 2011 and now have 60,000 miles on my motorhome.
But it is time to replace that battery as I do live in Arizona and it gets very hot. LOL.
Can you say 114 degrees on a bad summer day?
Maybe I just got a great Ford Battery at the factory.

LVJ58 05-23-2018 09:39 PM

We store our coach on our driveway connected to 50 am shore power, however I turn my converter off and my 110w solar panel keeps batteries charged.

bruce91 05-24-2018 06:04 AM

Solar Battery Tender

1 Attachment(s)
I use the battery disconnect switch for the house batteries.

For the chassis battery i use THIS solar battery tender.

Dan_S 05-24-2018 06:15 AM

Our 2010 Winnebago has both house & chassis disconnect. When I use them during storage, the memory gets erased. The radio stations gone and, the shift points in the computer need to be re-learned. Takes a a bit of driving. The only thing I have noticed that do not disconnect is the power to the steps.

Craig1960 05-24-2018 06:16 AM

I put on a couple solar panels and they work great. I know a guy who uses one of those solar chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter for his F350 with dual batteries and he says it works great.

THenne1713 05-25-2018 01:03 AM

Just be prepared to reprogram radio and lose any engine codes, and maybe even shift/ drive a little funny?

Sbrownstein 05-25-2018 04:17 AM

Never had a problem with my 2014. Disconnect the house battery via salesman's switch, engine battery remains on line for months...no problems, starts right up.