iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Powerstroke Engine Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f127/)
-   -   Towing heavy uphill temperature questions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f127/towing-heavy-uphill-temperature-questions-393489.html)

Mr. M 05-27-2018 09:10 AM

Towing heavy uphill temperature questions

I have a 2015 F-350 and I tow an 18k 5th wheel.

When going up steep hills the oil temperature climbs, at what temperature should I start being concerned?

Also if I stop at the top of a climb, what temperature should I let the engine cool down to before shutting of the truck?

LJowdy 05-27-2018 09:27 AM

240 is generally considered "HOT" for your oil. You also need to watch your Transmission oil temperature. I don't think you'll have any problems with the water temperature as that engine combination has a big radiator and the rig is rated to tow your weight.

It's not like the "old" days where you had to constantly watch temps. Much has improved over the years.

Unplanned 05-27-2018 09:31 AM

250 degrees F should be the max safe temp to run up to. 275 will shorten the oil life, but will still be safe. If it goes up to 300, I would be worried. Time to pull over and let it cool down!
As far as letting it cool down before shutting it off, 5-10 min of idling will usually be good enough to cool the oil inside the turbo. You just don't want to cut the engine with the turbo at operating temp. It causes oil to turn to ash, and that will shorten the life of the turbo drastically!
Happy Glamping

Walt Bennett 05-27-2018 09:40 AM

I'd think about power flushing your cooling system. Our '06 6.0L F350 has never had the temp gauge go over half way. Usually it sits at about 1/3 or a bit more. This includes going multiple times across the Rockies, the Serra Nevada and a slew of other mountain ranges while traveling East coast to West four times now towing our 16k lbs. Montana. Jiffy Lube can do it, although it isn't cheap.

LJowdy 05-27-2018 10:18 AM

I posted 240 and another member posted 250 During several auto tests with Ford, Chev and Chrysler, all the engineers said 240 is max. Once you exceed that, the oil starts to break down. Doesn't sound like much of a difference between 240 and 250 but take my word for it, 240 is max.

Siesta 05-30-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt Bennett (Post 4210571)
I'd think about power flushing your cooling system. Our '06 6.0L F350 has never had the temp gauge go over half way. Usually it sits at about 1/3 or a bit more. This includes going multiple times across the Rockies, the Serra Nevada and a slew of other mountain ranges while traveling East coast to West four times now towing our 16k lbs. Montana. Jiffy Lube can do it, although it isn't cheap.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I want to caution you about relying on the ford dash gauge to give you anything close to reliable information. It's basically not much better than an 'idiot light' in common vernacular, and only reads a couple positions (mid way, and I suppose the end of the scale). That can be verified from extensive information on the Ford-trucks website (6.0 section). I have the same motor, and run a ScanGauge II which can be configured to read 20+ variables that are sent from engine sensors to the OBD II plug under your steering wheel (which shop mechanics use to scan your engine). The ScanGauge gives you real-time information on temperature (oil, coolant, transmission oil) among other things (turbo boost, various voltages, etc)

But back to the topic at hand, I've also read many times that 240 should be your upper safe engine oil limit. Some feel that if your sensor is reading that, there are actually other areas in the circuit that will be hotter. [And with regard to the Ford 6.0 engine, things like the plastic tower inside your oil filter can melt if you're going much over 250. The engine computer will actually defuel you at 253 degrees for safety reasons.]

allenb12 05-31-2018 04:14 PM

the 2015 has the 6.7 engine. My 2012 6.7 screen display has an option for gauge mode and it gives you a digital read out of the engine oil and transmission fluid temperature.

Siesta 05-31-2018 08:43 PM

Mr. M, I would suggest you also post your query on ford-trucks.com where the 6.7 has its own section and a lot of 'traffic'. The IRV2 powerstroke section is fairly quiet.

allenb12 06-02-2018 04:03 PM

I agree this is a pretty quite place. The other forum sees a lot of traffic.

Mr. M 06-02-2018 10:21 PM

Thanks for the posting suggestion to ford-trucks.com. I will do so.

jimmystoys 06-23-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siesta (Post 4218762)
Mr. M, I would suggest you also post your query on ford-trucks.com where the 6.7 has its own section and a lot of 'traffic'. The IRV2 powerstroke section is fairly quiet.

Hey Mr M, I agree with Siesta. I think they have over 600k registered users! Great forum on anything Ford Trucks. When I had my 6.0L it use to heat quickly to 230-240F and it worried me. That motor does not like heat unless you've got some goodies on your truck! Now with my (2012) 6.7L things are a bit different. It was a night and day change for me. I understand they are designed to run hotter. I've easily hit 250F with no worries. Now I do have a tuner in my truck so it can get it hot pretty quick, but the good thing is the oil cooling system is designed well by cooling the oil down quickly when you ease up on it. Much different than the 6.0L. It would take too long to cool. I'm comfortable with 220-230F anytime. And, I don't let my Turbo temps get higher than 1100-1200F when pushing hard for short periods. 800-900F would be normal for me when towing. When I come to a stop I won't shut the engine off till I'm below 400F. Get yourself a monitor so you can watch all your temps and even more if you want. It's a good piece of mind. Don't sweat it, 6.7L is a great motor!