iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Window shade controller (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/window-shade-controller-397964.html)

DaveDS4018 06-24-2018 09:14 PM

Window shade controller

Some of my window shades do not respond to the buttons on the controller. I am assuming that controller needs charged or batteries replaced at some point in time.

Question is how do you charge the controller, if it is possible to do so, or change the batteries if there are any in the controller?

Coach is a year old I am sure the controller does not have an endless supply of power.

Dave C

deaton 06-24-2018 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you have the controller with all the buttons or the new slim unit?

Last September, shortly after buying our ‘17, we had an issue with a couple of the shades. We brought it up with Newmar and they had MCD come out and replace all 23 shade motors and install the new slim controller.

Looks like this -

Attachment 208386

I think it takes two double A’s.

MCD said they had a batch of bad motors.

DaveDS4018 06-25-2018 08:53 AM

We have the unit with all the buttons. Not sure if it takes batteries. Can't seem to find a way to the inside.

Like the look of your unit.

Thanks for input.

Dave C

deaton 06-25-2018 12:37 PM

Since you are still under warranty, you should talk to Newmar Customer Service. They will likely refer you to MCD, and you will likely get help direct from them.

twojayhawks 06-25-2018 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If it is this model yes it takes batteries.

DaveDS4018 06-25-2018 03:20 PM

Bill,

That's the one I am talking about. OK - How did you get it apart? No I have not tried yet but have not found any screws so it must pull apart.

Are the two pieces glued together or just pressed?

Will take another look at it today and see what I can do.

Thanks

Dave C

twojayhawks 06-25-2018 03:40 PM

There are no fasteners to undo it simply snaps together. You likely already noticed it takes a ridiculous force to pull apart. I recommend using a few place holders (screwdrivers or butter knives etc.) to insert once you get it started. Mine didn't break when prying apart but I wouldn't tempt it.

jerry davis 06-25-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveDS4018 (Post 4257954)
We have the unit with all the buttons. Not sure if it takes batteries. Can't seem to find a way to the inside.

Like the look of your unit.

Thanks for input.

Dave C

Dave,
I would bet that if you contact Newmar they will have MCD replace all your shade motors and substitute the old controller for the new small one. That’s what they did on our 2017 when some of the shades wouldn’t work. MCD is well aware of their problem with bad motors. The new motors and controller have worked flawlessly since last September.

DaveDS4018 06-26-2018 09:15 PM

As a follow up - Talked to people at MCD and they helped me work the cover off the Controller. We found that the batteries had worked loose and were not making contact. Changed out the batteries while I had it opened and everything is back to normal.

I thank everyone for their input and help in solving the problem.

Dave C