iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Generator running while refueling (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/generator-running-while-refueling-400053.html)

Mark71 07-08-2018 07:46 AM

Generator running while refueling

I plan to use our diesel generator while driving for the first time ( to run the AC).

Is it safe to allow the generator to keep running when i stop to refuel?

Have gone through the manual and can't find anything

BonS 07-08-2018 08:00 AM

Safe is a relative term. Given that diesel fuel has very low volatility as compared to gasoline it is much safer than doing so around gasoline fumes. If you try to light diesel fuel with a match you'll quickly see what I mean. One way to do it is to soak a piece of paper towel, light the paper towel, and then throw it in the diesel fuel. And, after that, the burning piece of paper towel just lays there while it works on heating up the diesel to allow it to begin to burn. Why do I know this? I work in the fire protection business and we test with all types of fuels.

edge68474 07-08-2018 08:00 AM

I would shut it off while refueling. Better safe than sorry. If I was to be next to you getting fuel and heard your generator running, I would be a bit uneasy. It's not a big deal to restart your generator is it?
Why take a chance for something strange to happen when you could of avoided it. :)

PanJH 07-08-2018 08:38 AM

When the refer trucks stop to refuel, they don't turn off their diesel refer unit.

Stuart W 07-08-2018 08:41 AM

I would leave it on

J Birder 07-08-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edge68474 (Post 4279714)
I would shut it off while refueling. Better safe than sorry. If I was to be next to you getting fuel and heard your generator running, I would be a bit uneasy. It's not a big deal to restart your generator is it?
Why take a chance for something strange to happen when you could of avoided it. :)

Would you be equally upset if a vehicle without a generator pulled in next to you? The vehicle engine and exhaust system are much larger than those on a generator.

Joel

Stuart W 07-08-2018 08:46 AM

Your probably more at risk talking on your cell phone while fueling

USMCRET 07-08-2018 08:47 AM

I don’t turn anything off when refueling.

Ret.LEO 07-08-2018 08:53 AM

The "turn off engines" stickers on the pumps are there for a reason. Along with a fire extinguisher on the islands.
I would just to be safe. Weird things do happen (saw enough of them in 17 years Law Enforcement) Some States it might be illegal to have it running. I believe (w/o checking) that Missouri might be one. I do know it is against the law to use a cell while refueling in Missouri.
As far as Cell phones...........I see people do it frequently.............not a good idea. I'm one of those old time idiots that still touch the vehicle while inserting the nozzle.
Many rv'rs by choice and law will turn off the LP to their Fridges.

Sweetbriar 07-08-2018 09:00 AM

If you out back fueling with the over the road drivers I wouldn't worry too much but it you're up front with the four wheel gas burning daily drivers fighting for room to get your rig next to the one diesel pump available I would shut down.

TonyMac 07-08-2018 10:03 AM

It depends. Are you refueling your diesel on or near the gas pumps or in the diesel only truck lanes? If I am fueling on or adjacent to islands that contain gasoline or natural gas, I shut everything down. Otherwise, let'er run. It maters not what fuels your generator, it matters what fuels the impending explosion your generator might cause. The generator is a big whirling mass of electrical sparks, not conducive to an environment with gas fumes. Be nice to the people around you, especially the one gassing up with their kids asleep in the back of their minivan. The big BOOM might do more than wake them up.

TonyMac 07-08-2018 10:06 AM

MmmMmm...and OMH your liability in such a case.....Johnny Cochran couldn't get you off....bye-bye retirement....hello big settlement to pay...

twinboat 07-08-2018 11:20 AM

I would shut everything down, just so the debris laying on the bottom of every fuel tank that gets stirred up, isn't sucked up into the filters.

Massparanoia 07-08-2018 02:20 PM

I usually leave the genny running and play candy crush on my cell while I’m filling up. And I have a gasser, so I wouldn’t worry too much about a diesel.