iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Mobile Streaming for TV (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/mobile-streaming-for-tv-401864.html)

SeektheSon1 07-18-2018 08:12 PM

Mobile Streaming for TV

We are in the process of RV shopping, and it has come to my attention that we will need to figure out some way to be able to watch TV for a while now. I don't exactly want to pay mega dollars for this. We will be weekend warriors, so we may not need the best. However, I want to be able to stream movies from one of those streaming sticks that you connect to the tv. We don't have a good
cellular data plan, so that will not be an option to get wifi from. And although campgrounds are sometimes with free wifi, I am not hearing that it will always be sufficient. I like going on Youtube and streaming from there, or streaming movies using our Dish account. So, we will need something reliable enough to do that. It would be great if anyone out there had any nuggets of wisdom with this. I don't want to buy Roku, and then find out the wifi at the campground won't be good enough. And without a good cellular data plan, I am wondering if I am out of options for internet at that point. Thanks so much!

keymastr 07-18-2018 08:38 PM

Your best option is to invest in a Dish for the RV. You can either take a box from home with you or add the RV. RV accounts can be placed on hold for months and then reactivated at a moments notice for a month when needed. Cost of hardware is a few hundred but the cost of enough Cellular data will pay for the dish in a couple months.

I use my Roku for weekend trips and have a Verizon unlimited data plan but even with that my speeds start to get throttled back after 3 or 4 days. Plenty for occasional use but not full time. interestingly the Roku will still stream Netflix even after they start throttling speed but it becomes slower to load menu pages or email.

If you already have Dish at home I believe it just costs a few bucks a month for the box rental if you don't want to bring a box from home. You need to purchase a portable dish though. Ones you aim manually take a few minutes to setup each time you move or for several hundred more you can get an automatic dish.

Plenty of info in the technology forum. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/

BillJinOR 07-18-2018 09:37 PM

Mobile Streaming for TV

One option is a att wireless phone with the correct plan with a directv now account that the directv account streaming doesnít count against your data
I donít do this( we use Dish) and itís just a idea but without a unlimited wireless plan your kinda out of luck short of a dish I agree .. just buy a portable dish and take a receiver or buy a dedicated Wally and just add it to your home account for 7 bucks a month

SeektheSon1 07-19-2018 04:21 PM

Okay, so I called Dish, and I will have to buy the equipment, like the antennae and receivers (if I choose not to bring one from home), but y'all are right, it's only 7 dollars a month extra. That is totally do-able, and I will get over the cost of the equipment soon enough. I can buy refurbished receivers too they said. Is Roku my best option to stream videos and go on the internet? I was trying to decide between that and Amazon Fire. I didn't know if I really needed to spend extra for Apple TV, even though my phone is Apple. I am just curious what others are using and if they like it. Thanks again y'all for your comments! Very helpful!

SeektheSon1 07-19-2018 06:18 PM

Internet

Ooops, I just realized that I may still not be able to stream with Roku just because I will have my Dish. I still have to have wifi, and that will most likely be sketchy at campgrounds. I think it'll be okay though not to have internet or Roku for us as weekend warriors. I would love that, but it will be alright just to have our Dish service. That will be sufficient and I can just use Roku at home. :thumb:

beenthere 07-20-2018 04:28 PM

well just use your phone.. I have unlimited data and just use a charge cord with usb then hook to usb on tv or can get a usb c like mine to hdmi and to tv.. you can adjust the stream from low to high and I never have a problem... I occasionally just use mobile hotspot and tv hooks up and give it the mover or any of the free internet channels.. and local channels I just use a the little antenna on roof and it can be upgraded for 50 bucks if you have old one.. I usually get at least 5 and in cities like 15-20 channels .

Freqz 07-20-2018 04:33 PM

A dish is another thing to set up...PITA IMO. Upgrade your cell phone plan and cast to a dongle on your TV. Or buy a bunch of used DVDs...or some books :)

Fkrel 07-20-2018 05:31 PM

I have T-mobile and a 55+ plan unlimited call, text and high speed data and added the mobile hot spot to the plan supposed to be able to stream unlimited but first time out in south dakota AT&T was the company where we were and has a limited use for other companys and burned up the time with the computer and could not connect after time was used up. But will be trying this next weekend in iowa the plan costs about $70 for two phones.

KZVanh 07-20-2018 06:56 PM

If you plan accordingly, you can use services like Netflix and/or Amazon Prime to download the movies ahead of time. To play- you cast or use a compatible player, i.e FireTV.

I usually have about three movies per day I am out. We only watch movies at the end of the day, before bed.

timjet 07-21-2018 12:49 AM

I found streaming to be unreliable and expensive. A cellular data plan even if it's unlimited still must be received by your cell phone or MiFi unit. That can be a real problem out west.

I have a ATT unlimited plan and a we-boost cellular voice and data booster. I still have problems getting service in some western area's.
I just bought a dish satellite antenna and receiver. Dish advertises a $35 monthly plan, pay as you go. I haven't hooked it up yet, will tomorrow, but if it works as advertised it should be more reliable and probably cheaper than streaming. I'm not sure but I think Dish has PPV. The hardware for the Dish setup was $299.

If I were always camping in area's with known reliable cellular coverage I would stick with streaming. For me that's not the case.

79cvx20 07-21-2018 04:02 AM

I often use PlayOn to record to my laptop or cell phone. It's not as good as Dish but its only about $30. https://www.playon.tv/

SeektheSon1 07-21-2018 06:11 AM

Thanks again to you all

Wow, I think there are some great suggestions there y'all! Thanks again. I'm going to carefully consider all of this, as we are still not RV owners just yet. I am hoping by Christmas we will be though. And a shout out to a fellow Winston Salemite out there, and thanks again.

SeektheSon1 07-21-2018 06:17 AM

Ok so if I bought FireTV, I could download the movies at home, and then use the FireTV at the RV to play them.....even without some kind of wifi? Just checking, cause that sounds like an interesting option.

RJShiflet 07-21-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freqz (Post 4302348)
A dish is another thing to set up...PITA IMO. Upgrade your cell phone plan and cast to a dongle on your TV. Or buy a bunch of used DVDs...or some books :)

We have DirecTV and have a tripod and dish we set up...not that much of a problem. Generally it takes 10 to 15 minutes to set up, aim properly, fine tune, download the guide and start watching TV.

I find it time well invested for great TV watching while camping.