iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Inverter Heating up (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/inverter-heating-up-409434.html)

bdunningsr 09-03-2018 04:41 PM

Inverter Heating up

Hey guys, had a four outlet grounded in wall outlet plugged into one of my 3 inverter outlets and it went bad and caused my Magnum 1212 inverter to heat up and go into a fault condition. I removed the bad device and plugged my TV directly in to the outlet. TV is working fine now but the inverter keeps heating up and shuts down. It comes back on after it cools down and lasts for 30 minutes before it gets hot again. The thermostat for the fan in the inverter compartment is not working and I need to order a new one. I pulled the 2 wires from the thermostat and wired them together, fan works but inverter still heats ups. Generator has a lot of load on it when the battery bulk charging light is on. I'm on shore power now and the inverter seems to be staying on longer but still goes into fault condition, blinks 3 times which indicates high load condition and inverter has shut down due to excessive heat and will restart once it cools which it does.

Now my questions, where is the battery charger located in my Berkshire 360FWS? I want to see how many amps it is pulling? Is therer a way to test my inverter to know if I melted something and need to replace it?

Skip426 09-03-2018 09:39 PM

Most larger inverters have an internal by-pass that sends shore power straight through to the outlets and at the same time switches on the internal battery charger.
I'll pull down a manual from the model number you posted to see if this is how yours operates.:thumb:

EDIT: Back from an internet search , for a manual , and found that your 1200 watt inverter , has a built in 4 stage 70 amp battery charger .
Check your coach batteries for overheating , if you were on invert when the four outlet converter when bad you may have damaged a battery and the inverter is now trying to charge a bad battery (or batteries ).

bdunningsr 06-08-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip426 (Post 4382067)
Most larger inverters have an internal by-pass that sends shore power straight through to the outlets and at the same time switches on the internal battery charger.
I'll pull down a manual from the model number you posted to see if this is how yours operates.:thumb:

EDIT: Back from an internet search , for a manual , and found that your 1200 watt inverter , has a built in 4 stage 70 amp battery charger .
Check your coach batteries for overheating , if you were on invert when the four outlet converter when bad you may have damaged a battery and the inverter is now trying to charge a bad battery (or batteries ).

You hit the nail on the head. Replaced bad chassis bateries that were Heating up and bulging. Inverter appears to be working fine now. Thanks skip426