iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   HWH Fluid Solenoids RAP90729 (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/hwh-fluid-solenoids-rap90729-411393.html)

firenfix4u2 09-16-2018 07:19 PM

HWH Fluid Solenoids RAP90729

Just an FYI in case you need HWH Fluid Solenoids RAP90729. Just replaced four of them and got a great deal on in stock replacements (IM me if you need info). Was a pretty simple job, replaced a few springs as well so the jack would retract faster. I know now not to keep it in "store mode" for more than a few minutes at a time:facepalm:.

azpete 09-17-2018 01:03 PM

firefix, it makes a major difference, doesnt it?

firenfix4u2 09-17-2018 09:08 PM

It sure does, and nice I didn't have to pay a service department to get part of it right.

willydillo 08-19-2019 10:36 AM

HWH leveler electric solenoid replacement

Looks like you have had some experience with replacing the HWH solenoid valve. I have a Rexhall Vision with HWH levelers. Appears I need to replace one of the solenoid valves. Where did you buy your solenoid valve? Spendy little item with most common price being $260 but I have found some for $190. Looks like I need a RAP90729 part. Does the cam lock device on the end of the solenoid valve replace the !/4" nut that secures the solenoid valve when installed? Also, noticed a related part: O-ring kit R92101. Is it necessary to order this O-ring kit? It looks like the solenoid valve comes with the o-ring.

Ray,IN 08-19-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firenfix4u2 (Post 4404613)
I know now not to keep it in "store mode" for more than a few minutes at a time:facepalm:.

Please explain why you said that, as store only holds the solenoids open until the travel light illuminates, then the system shuts off, mine anyway.

eddndee 08-29-2019 07:37 PM

Yes! Tell me what meant ...”not kept in Store mode for more than a few minutes”?

firenfix4u2 08-30-2019 08:33 AM

For me I had a jack that did not want to come up all the way. I guess I waited too long for "that" jack to come up on it's own, and apparently until does, all solenoids stay energized. Some time went by as I was doing other things with the RV and that's when all four solenoids fried as the jack never did come all the way up on it's own. The solenoids may very well shut down once they have returned to the store position, but I always make sure I shut everything down the second they store now. And if there is a problem with the jacks storing quickly, I will shut the system down after five minutes max and let the solenoids cool down. Hope that clarifies my issue.

Ray,IN 08-31-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firenfix4u2 (Post 4933739)
For me I had a jack that did not want to come up all the way. I guess I waited too long for "that" jack to come up on it's own, and apparently until does, all solenoids stay energized. Some time went by as I was doing other things with the RV and that's when all four solenoids fried as the jack never did come all the way up on it's own. The solenoids may very well shut down once they have returned to the store position, but I always make sure I shut everything down the second they store now. And if there is a problem with the jacks storing quickly, I will shut the system down after five minutes max and let the solenoids cool down. Hope that clarifies my issue.

That is odd, the solenoids are protected by an inline 40A fuse.

fottip 10-14-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray,IN (Post 4935537)
That is odd, the solenoids are protected by an inline 40A fuse.

Yeah, makes no sense. HWH solenoids, once in "store mode", STAY THERE so the RV can travel. That's the point of "store mode". It's designed to keep them up as the RV travels over the road, and they can remain in "store mode" as long as needed.

And my experience has been that the solenoids only stay active as long as the controller needs them to be active; once one of them has accomplished it's job, the controller deactivates it, and it goes dormant.

Something's awry here.

RKins 10-15-2019 09:04 AM

This is how I remember Paul explaining it to me - DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM STAY IN STORE MODE FOR LONG OR YOU'LL BURN UP THE WINDINGS IN THE SOLENOIDS. A properly working set of jacks should store in around a minute or 2 max. If you have one that is real lazy (I have a couple) you need to watch the time that the solenoids are active so you don't burn them out - I don't know if all the solenoids stay active or not and could be different for the newest vs my old 610 system (I've had all 4 of my solenoids rebuilt by HWH). I know which jacks are lazy and am ready to help them up before I start and I leave it on for 4 mins max and then off for 5 minutes if I have to get a board or block to help store one. I then start the store process again. I've seen campers leave theirs on for 10 minutes or more battling their jack(s).

Next year I am going to the factory in IA to have all the jacks rebuilt.

RKins 10-15-2019 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fottip (Post 4997235)
Yeah, makes no sense. HWH solenoids, once in "store mode", STAY THERE so the RV can travel. That's the point of "store mode". It's designed to keep them up as the RV travels over the road, and they can remain in "store mode" as long as needed.

Store mode is the function of opening the solenoids (electrical current through the windings while open) so the springs on the jacks can pull the jacks back in until the limit switch at the top tells the controller that it's up and to turn off the LED on the control panel (and maybe shut off the solenoid? - would make sense but I am not sure it does this). The springs keep the jacks up when in travel mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fottip (Post 4997235)
And my experience has been that the solenoids only stay active as long as the controller needs them to be active; once one of them has accomplished it's job, the controller deactivates it, and it goes dormant.

Something's awry here.

I am not sure - my pump assy is tucked inside my rear bumper and that is 40ft from the controller. No lights on the pump assy to tell me if the solenoid is active and I don't remember touching them while activated to see if they vibrate or get hot when active. So I won't say this is how they work.

Attached is the warnings from the 610 service manual. The part that says the system will run for 30 minutes is usually where the solenoid(s) windings get burned out.

fottip 10-15-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKins (Post 4997775)
Store mode is the function of opening the solenoids (electrical current through the windings while open) so the springs on the jacks can pull the jacks back in until the limit switch at the top tells the controller that it's up and to turn off the LED on the control panel (and maybe shut off the solenoid? - would make sense but I am not sure it does this). The springs keep the jacks up when in travel mode.

Agreed. Certainly there are some functional differences between models. The documentation for my model 725 system makes no mention of a "store mode". The only "mode" mentioned is "Travel Mode", which occurs once all 4 jacks are up, all red LEDs turned off, and green "Travel Mode" LED is on.

But in the Operating Manual, at least, I found no warning about time limits except pertaining to running the pump motor, a separate issue. I gave up looking for my service manual. The HWH website indicates a new one is being built. They need a new one.