iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   HELP REPLACING 6PIN ROUND W/SPADE CONNECTION (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/help-replacing-6pin-round-w-spade-connection-41219.html)

OpaRon 04-15-2008 02:08 PM

I have a Sterling hitch with round 6 pin connections. I have used a spade adapter to connect to my MH's spade connections. Last trip I lost the adapter (on the road, without knowing it) and when we arrived the round pin that fit into the adapter was mangled beyond repair. So, I decided that since I have to replace the connector, why not do it with a spade type? Thus, eliminate the extra adapter piece.

I put all the wire in the exact same place on the replacement, but, alas, NOTHING works. I called Roadmaster who told me the color uses on their wires - Yellow=Left turn; Green=right turn; Red=stop; Brown= Tail lights; White=ground; and the black is not used.

The diagram on the MH connector shows one spade for Left,Stop, Turn; one for Right, Stop, Turn; one for Running lights; and one marked +/- which I assume is the ground. Two others are for other items Elec brakes, etc.

I'm lost! What goes where?

ANY help will be appreciated.

Next stop is to pay some tech $90 to fix something I should be able to do.

OpaRon 04-15-2008 02:08 PM

I have a Sterling hitch with round 6 pin connections. I have used a spade adapter to connect to my MH's spade connections. Last trip I lost the adapter (on the road, without knowing it) and when we arrived the round pin that fit into the adapter was mangled beyond repair. So, I decided that since I have to replace the connector, why not do it with a spade type? Thus, eliminate the extra adapter piece.

I put all the wire in the exact same place on the replacement, but, alas, NOTHING works. I called Roadmaster who told me the color uses on their wires - Yellow=Left turn; Green=right turn; Red=stop; Brown= Tail lights; White=ground; and the black is not used.

The diagram on the MH connector shows one spade for Left,Stop, Turn; one for Right, Stop, Turn; one for Running lights; and one marked +/- which I assume is the ground. Two others are for other items Elec brakes, etc.

ANY help will be appreciated.

Next stop is to pay some tech $90 to fix something I should be able to do.

Route 66 04-15-2008 02:48 PM

Maybe THIS WEB SITE will help.

OpaRon 04-15-2008 05:21 PM

Good web site but it still didn't answer my question. I did send them a request for how to do what I'm trying to do. Thanks, Dirk. You guys always have either the answer or where to get the answer via a web site!

John66 04-15-2008 07:00 PM

On my fifth wheel connection, there was left turn, right turn, running light, brake control, 12v+ (for charging trailer batteries), and ground. Perhaps the +/- is not ground but is instead 12v?

RustyJC 04-16-2008 05:52 AM

Here's the other piece of the puzzle - the wiring of the 6-pin round connector HERE.

Unfortunately, the same discipline doesn't exist with standardized wiring on the 6-pin connector as it does with the Pollack-style 7-pin connector. With a good voltmeter or test light, however, you should be able to determine if your existing 6-pin connector is wired as shown or not.

Rusty