iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Gulf Stream Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f110/)
-   -   Coach battery charging issue (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f110/coach-battery-charging-issue-413901.html)

PaulMears 10-04-2018 09:57 AM

Coach battery charging issue

My Coach Battery has begun to run down after about 4 hours in-route:mad:

By jump starting the generator, I was able to re-charge the Coach Battery while driving. The battery charges correctly when attached to shore power. The only problem appears to be charging of the Coach Battery by the alternator.

Where might I find the solenoid, if my 2005 Cresendo uses such a device?

Where might I find the fuse that enables Coach Battery charging by the alternator?

Other ideas would be appreciated.

Busskipper 10-04-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMears (Post 4433413)
My Coach Battery has begun to run down after about 4 hours in-route:mad:

By jump starting the generator, I was able to re-charge the Coach Battery while driving. The battery charges correctly when attached to shore power. The only problem appears to be charging of the Coach Battery by the alternator.

Where might I find the solenoid, if my 2005 Cresendo uses such a device?

Where might I find the fuse that enables Coach Battery charging by the alternator?

Other ideas would be appreciated.

By Coach I'm guessing you mean the House Batteries? if they are being run as you are driving, down you must have something running or a Bad Battery or connection?

KISS - just check to see first that all connections are good - then batteries are good - is the Charger working? Did you change or turn something on to cause the issue?

Not knowing your coach all I can suggest id to Follow the Wires to locate the issue.

Best of Luck,

twinboat 10-04-2018 12:01 PM

Push the boost switch on and off and listen for a solenoid clunking. That's the isolation/charging solenoid.

Although it may be clunking, they often develops bad internal contact and don't connect the 2 battery banks together.

Start the engine, shore cord un plugged, and check for 13.4 volts on both sides of that solenoid.
If not on both sides of the solenoid, check for 12 volts at one of the small terminals. If one has power, the solenoid is most likely bad.

winniman 10-04-2018 02:35 PM

I am assuming you have tested the alternator for output power. If so, Im with Twinboat.

beeman12 10-18-2018 06:44 AM

charge

:banghead: Check solenoid. Took me some work before I found it.:dance:

THenne1713 10-19-2018 12:57 PM

If class-c, I would expect solenoid and an auto reset breaker to both be near the coach battery, (maybe under step?) but (esp. on many older) solenoid maybe on firewall in engine compartment, and maybe additional breaker too? (you need to protect in both directions when running two batteries) Hope this helps; again the voltmeter will tell w/ higher (13.2-14.4vdc) voltage (engine running) on one side, but lower voltage on other, whether solenoid or breaker.

PaulMears 10-25-2018 11:24 PM

Boost Switch location??

sorry for the slow feed back folks.

Cleaned all of the solenoid, circuit breaker, and battery connections today. Will check the voltage on the batteries with engine running tomorrow.

Where is the boost switch on the dash. I have a switch in the middle of the dash, but it only changes the data going to the odometer output.

Frutza 10-26-2018 08:13 AM

The boost switch is on the dash with the other switches below the back up camera, mine has a picture of a battery on it, but, mine did not charge the coach/house batteries from the engine. I had to add a B.I.R.D relay, I also put one of those volt meters in the cigarette lighter to monitor the batteries

PaulMears 10-26-2018 11:38 PM

Coach battery not charging enroute

Thanks.

Raining today. Will check the boost and voltages tomorrow.

PaulMears 05-31-2019 05:42 PM

My annual inspection mechanic found my batteries to be bad. Fixed!!!!

Bukiman 11-28-2019 08:43 AM

Battery Issue

I have the same problem, not charging while driving, did u find problem ?
Thanks