iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   2 days of driving in the rain, pegboard is soaked[emoji51] 18 DS 4369 (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2-days-of-driving-in-the-rain-pegboard-is-soaked-emoji51-18-ds-4369-a-416816.html)

Stuart W 10-23-2018 07:47 PM

2 days of driving in the rain, pegboard is soaked[emoji51] 18 DS 4369

Two days of driving on rain soaked roads-soaked pegboard. Have you ever heard of this before[emoji6]

FLJOE 10-23-2018 08:36 PM

Does it have something to do with driving in rain or could it be unrelated and have something to do with your Oasis or some plumbing leak/issue?

Spk64 10-23-2018 08:39 PM

It has been brought up a few times here. I think Nealc was also dealing with it.
Here is a recent thread.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wate...ay-399667.html

ptw 10-24-2018 07:43 AM

We had some wheel well water leak problems. Nappanee fixed it using their recently purchased fog (smoke?) machine. All leaks are stopped!

Water can accumulate on top of the fresh water tank and go any direction from there. Lots of places to leak with all the wiring, frame and hose penetrations into the basement.

NealC 10-24-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart W (Post 4465099)
Two days of driving on rain soaked roads-soaked pegboard. Have you ever heard of this before[emoji6]

Yep, I had it, it is too common. It's water intrusion via the wheel wells. Newmar spent a good 1-2 days installing plastic deflectors and sealing them with sikaflex most likely. There are probably other fixes such as spray foam, etc.

JMH 10-24-2018 08:53 AM

Yep, pretty common. The wheel wells and the drains in the bottom rails of the FWS both can drain water all over the coach.

ptw 10-24-2018 11:59 AM

If you got a lot of water in, you may want to think about where the water went. Depending how the bottom pan is sealed, it could accumulate there.

"007" 10-24-2018 02:58 PM

This use to happen on some older coach's 2000 years used fiber tape in seams of wheel well corners than spray with the black rubberized paint, stopped water from entering the coach compartments.

GaryKD 10-24-2018 06:49 PM

Hi Stuart W,
Without going to Nappenee, consider trying this.
1. Wire brush the entire wheel well.
2. Order wheel well liners from Newmar.
3. Get a bunch of black Flex Seal spray cans. Follow the instructions on the can.
4. Put at least 3 solid coats of Flex Seal on all parts of the wheel well.
5. Install the wheel well liner on the wheel well.

This should stop all water intrusion from the rear wheels. Flex Seal does the sealing. The wheel liner makes the water drop verticaly instead of slinging with force into small openings in the coach.

"007" 10-24-2018 07:17 PM

GaryKD has many MOD's in his back ground scroll back and forth in this long list of them.

willipaul 10-25-2018 04:43 AM

i had this fixed by a local repair shop....when i picked up my coach in FL, one hour on the road, i hit rain for 6 hrs....stopped for the night, and had wet pegboard, and also, water running out of the pans in the underbelly......i parked on an angle, with the passengers side nose a little low, and the water would come out....level, it would not....wanted newmar to fix the underbelly, as it is a big job, but had the local shop do the pegboard and wet bay....you can't really tell if water is getting into the wet bay, but i am willing to bet it is....i had them fix both sides....newmar agreed to the repair under warranty....

so, my coach is in nappanee right now for warranty fixes, and the big one they are working on, is dropping the pans, removing soaked insulation, repairing the rust, rustproofing, repainting, re-insulating, re-installing the pans, and re-sealing.....when they dropped the pans, they had to let it sit inside for a day to dry out, before they could continue, it was that wet.....

they tell me it is a "frame rail leak" that they know about....hope they fix it permanently....

a friend had this issue on his 2016 43' ventana, and had newmar do the same repair....so it happens on several model years and models.....

check that area to see if you are ok there.....

FLSteve 10-25-2018 05:56 AM

Has anybody had this issue on a 2019 model … or did Newmar get it fixed?

FLSteve:popcorn:

GaryKD 10-25-2018 06:54 AM

Hi willipaul,
If you can make sure Newmar does what they say on this repair. Past experience has shown SOMETIMES Newmar "forgets" to remove all the soaked material, completely dry and then reinstall appropriately.

redbaron73 10-25-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLSteve (Post 4467044)
Has anybody had this issue on a 2019 model … or did Newmar get it fixed?

FLSteve:popcorn:

I had leaks as you know, and specifically tested for frame, peg board, and water bay. Nothing from those areas. Engineering also tested those, and verified that the production changes are working as designed.

No one said this to me, but I felt like I was the first to actually drive in heavy rain and come back to newmar same day. I had a lot of attention, but the leak was limited to the fws seal.

JMWheeler 10-25-2018 09:40 AM

I had leaks after driving rain as well. Went to the dealer, they smoke tested it, found and "repaired" the leaks. Picked it up on Thusday, went on a short trip and drove home in the rain on Sunday. Got home with the same wet bays. Haven't contacted NIRVC yet as we have a couple more trips planned and the last "repair" took 4 weeks.

willipaul 10-25-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryKD (Post 4467087)
Hi willipaul,
If you can make sure Newmar does what they say on this repair. Past experience has shown SOMETIMES Newmar "forgets" to remove all the soaked material, completely dry and then reinstall appropriately.

thank you for the advice gary....i will call the team leader again on this....

i would have thought that by 2018, an procedure / production issue in a 2016 would have been changed / corrected.....but no, 2018's still had issues....

i hope for the sake of 2019 owners, they finally have it right....

just such a waste of time and money to do this repair....for both newmar and the owner....

NealC 10-25-2018 07:03 PM

It's just like the fresh water siphon issue. For some reason the repeated services never get production updated. I asked about the wheel well and siphon situation when I was there Nov 2017 and how these fixes get back to production and apparently it's communicated, apparently from us it's not.

Dutch Star Don 10-25-2018 07:28 PM

Well....I've got a list of several items that I will check myself, once my new coach is delivered. I guess checking the wheel wells, slide and headlights for sealant will be first on my list.

JMH 10-25-2018 08:04 PM

Make sure you put your eyeballs on any repair. I had a mystery leak at my windshield that no one could find. I took the coach to Newmar for this and the water in the belly pan. The tech had a new “helper” because they were very busy. The tech did a great job chasing down the belly pan water source (the wheel well and slide channel). He assigned verifying the roof seals to the helper. Window leaked in Colorado a week later. Took the coach to Transwest in Frederick and the tech found the front running lights were devoid of sealant. They sealed and no more leaks. There are some techs that are not as thorough as others at Newmar, our experience it tends to be the new (and only employed for a short time) techs.

I’ve gotten to know some of the “grey beards” at Newmar and if I have any concern about a repair, I track them down. At the Pueblo rally I had a tech of questionable skill do a repair. Tracked down someone I trusted and, he found the original tech did not do the job correctly.

Just my experience. YMMV.

Just a shout out. If you have a Ventana and have any Newmar issue, Jonas the team lead is da bomb (that’s a good thing). He has on many occasions, on his own initiative, run issues up the management ladder to fix things on my coach that Newmar had no legal reason to fix, but it was the right thing to do. Many of these are in my “adventures of newbee” posts.

I am sure there are many more, just my XP.

Nadge 11-02-2018 09:05 PM

wet pegboard

Found wet pegboard.
2016 Ventana 4037LE
Removed pegboard and found dripping wet, basement ceiling insulation. Pulled out 2 sq ft of wet insulation and used my flexible camera to locate wet plywood floor/ (basements ceiling) for water travel. No stain was found where the soaking wet ceiling insulation was located. Couldn't get any further investagative access without major removal issue. 1/2 bathroom is above this location. Had to come from there. Sink plumbing intact and dry. Checked all around the commode, flushing it a dozen times with full water bowl height. Nothing found. Let full bowl of clean water stand several days, no leaks.

My solution was to install a battery, water leak detector with it's 6 ft leads taped to the top of the fresh water tank where the water had pooled and attached the alarm on the outside of the re-installed pegboard.

That was a year ago, frequently check the alarm for operation and peg board for wetness. Nothing yet.

Since I'm quite familiar with Murphy's law, as well as in my case God has a sense of humor with me. I just added this to my extremely long list of (FUNNY?) things that I just can't explain when they happen to me.

Hope you enjoyed my story. :cool: