iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Kitchen faucet slow water flow. Fixed. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/kitchen-faucet-slow-water-flow-fixed-416837.html)

Leland0311 10-23-2018 08:56 PM

Kitchen faucet slow water flow. Fixed.

1 Attachment(s)
Both bathroom faucets had good flow, shower too. Just slow water in the kitchen. Removed new water filter, cleaned faucet aerator, still slow. Pressure was good at the source. Watched youtube videos which said to clean the aerator. At least a couple forums mentioned a water restrictor (probably) at the base of the faucet under the sink. I couldn't find it. Newmar said it was probably a kinked line and to trace it.

Started looking for a water restrictor and found it. Base of the sink between hot/cold lines. The whole thing is about 1.5 inches long. Took it apart, removed the restrictor, and normal water flow is back.

The problem had been going on for awhile, and I thought that's just the it is and tried to live with it. Recently, started thinking no, I have a problem and it shouldn't be like this. Don't know why it took me so long for such a simple fix.

We_B_Tripn 10-24-2018 04:39 AM

Good find. I'm going to have to look and see if our kitchen faucet has the same restrictor. Our flow isn't what I would call horrible, but it certainly could stand to be better.

Thanks!

Bill

marjoa 10-24-2018 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leland0311 (Post 4465304)
Both bathroom faucets had good flow, shower too. Just slow water in the kitchen. Removed new water filter, cleaned faucet aerator, still slow. Pressure was good at the source. Watched youtube videos which said to clean the aerator. At least a couple forums mentioned a water restrictor (probably) at the base of the faucet under the sink. I couldn't find it. Newmar said it was probably a kinked line and to trace it.

Started looking for a water restrictor and found it. Base of the sink between hot/cold lines. The whole thing is about 1.5 inches long. Took it apart, removed the restrictor, and normal water flow is back.

The problem had been going on for awhile, and I thought that's just the it is and tried to live with it. Recently, started thinking no, I have a problem and it shouldn't be like this. Don't know why it took me so long for such a simple fix.

Interesting.
Questions:
1) So the bathroom faucets.....do they have a water restrictor too?
2) You removed the water restrictor and now it works fine. Why is it there in the first place if it works fine without it?
3) Can the water restrictor be cleaned?

thx

oregonhiker 10-24-2018 07:07 AM

Great find, we have been also dealing with low flow in the kitchen but everywhere else we have decent flow. I also cleaned the areator with no change. I will look for the restrictor and remove it. Does anyone know what purpose of a restrictor on the kitchen faucet would serve? I assume that there are none on the bathroom sinks as there is a better flow there or at least seems that way.

Leland0311 10-24-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marjoa (Post 4465519)
Interesting.
Questions:
1) So the bathroom faucets.....do they have a water restrictor too?
2) You removed the water restrictor and now it works fine. Why is it there in the first place if it works fine without it?
3) Can the water restrictor be cleaned?

thx

1. I haven't checked my bathroom faucets. Water flow is fine there. I have cleaned the aerator for the bathroom faucet I use.

2. I'm guessing it's ''code,'' the way residential shower heads have restrictor's in them? I'm guessing.

3. The restrictor I removed from my kitchen faucet didn't need cleaning. I check the faucet aerator couple times a year though to make sure it's clean.

By the way, the water restrictor unscrewed into 2 pieces and the restrictor was in the middle and wedged in tight. I couldn't tell by looking at it if it could be accessed or removed. I used a pencil to push the restrictor out. It's spring loaded and shot across the room. There's also a small black rubber o-ring that needs to be replaced or else it will leak. Found that out later.