iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Battery Discharge (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/battery-discharge-416933.html)

D.D Travels 10-24-2018 03:16 PM

Battery Discharge

Hello All

I'm sure this issue has been dealt with many times. My apologies for revising the issue again. But I'm a newbie at class A MH.

I'm in a RV park and on 50 amp service. I'll be here for a year. My brand new chassis battery drained in two days. I didn't realize it, of course, until it was too late. I've disconnected the neutral on the battery. I'm hoping I can save the battery with a full charge.

Need all of your wisdom & guidance please. What should I be doing to prevent this from happening?

Thank you........ David

BFlinn181 10-24-2018 03:26 PM

When you are plugged in to shore power, your converter/charger should not only provide all 12v power to the house batteries but also charge the chassis battery. I'd think your battery isolation system isn't working properly.

With a multimeter, I'd test voltages. A full battery should show 12.7v. When plugged in, the voltage should jump to 13.4v or more. If you don't see this increase in voltage at the chassis battery, it's not connecting and being charged. You could try holding down the 'boost' button on the dash that should connect the house and chassis batteries together for a 'jump start.'

"007" 10-24-2018 04:24 PM

Just post in this thread for someone else the fix may help you.

GaryKD 10-24-2018 05:26 PM

Hi D.D Travels,
You have a BIM or BIRD system that will charge your batteries as needed. Not knowing how technically inclined you are, consider calling Newmar and determine what one can via the telephone. Ask the for the nearest qualified Newmar tech. The solar charger on the roof may also be not working. This maintains the chassis battery.

D.D Travels 10-30-2018 08:02 PM

Apologies all for my slow reply. We got to California last Sunday and I went to work that Tuesday.

Very much appreciate the recommendations and suggestions.

Haven't had time to search the issue, so I hooked up a tickle charge to save the battery. Thankfully it did. I hope to have some time this weekend to do some research.

Safe travel to all........David

Kjlunda 10-31-2018 04:33 AM

Battery draining in 2 days? I'd check to see what is drawing so much while you're parked.

BFlinn181 10-31-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjlunda (Post 4476920)
Battery draining in 2 days? I'd check to see what is drawing so much while you're parked.

To find the parasitic drain, take off one battery cable and put a 12v bulb or an ammeter to bridge the gap. Start pulling fuses and watch for the light to dim or amperage to drop. That circuit contains the drain on the battery. I'd suspect to drain in such a short time, a light or accessory was left on. Perhaps something left plugged into a power outlet.