iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Big motorhomes rule!! (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/big-motorhomes-rule-423190.html)

Bounder28T 12-13-2018 10:08 AM

Big motorhomes rule!!

I started a thread about "Big Motorhome regrets" based on conversation and comments other RVers made to me, because I have a small motorhome. So I figured I would ask those with the experience on this forum. I learned a lot, most of it good, some I could have done without. As it turns out the majority of Big coach owners wouldn't have it any other way, in fact, a fair amount of you would go bigger. The "No regrets" far out weighed those who had "regrets". So my synopsis based on feedback is "Big Motorhomes Rule". (Now I'm not stirring the pot, there are no subliminal messages, hidden thoughts or malice) but the question begging to be asked is "does anyone disagree?"

palehorse89 12-13-2018 10:11 AM

Bob, I am not sure what your question is or what you are looking to get out of your post??

FIRE UP 12-13-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounder28T (Post 4541229)
I started a thread about "Big Motorhome regrets" based on conversation and comments other RVers made to me, because I have a small motorhome. So I figured I would ask those with the experience on this forum. I learned a lot, most of it good, some I could have done without. As it turns out the majority of Big coach owners wouldn't have it any other way, in fact, a fair amount of you would go bigger. The "No regrets" far out weighed those who had "regrets". So my synopsis based on feedback is "Big Motorhomes Rule". (Now I'm not stirring the pot, there are no subliminal messages, hidden thoughts or malice) but the question begging to be asked is "does anyone disagree?"

Does anyone disagree?
Well, as you already stated, there are some that, in short, bought, moved up, and then, moved back down. I have no clue as to what kind of percentage of folks have done that. We've owned four motorhomes. A '79 Four Star Dodge Class C 23', an '89 27' Class C Ford Ultra, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the V-10 and, our present one, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT.

We've camped with many, many friends who own larger coaches than ours. Some as large as 43'. We look at theirs, walk around in them, picture ourselves in them, talk about whether or not we're happy with our present one vs something like our friends larger ones and, the answer always comes back the same for us. WE like ours. Even though a 36' coach sometimes, I say SOMETIMES can be a tad big for many campsites, that length by far, has worked flawlessly for us now for 7.5 years and 45,000 miles.

We just can't really reason out a need to go bigger.
Scott

CountryB 12-13-2018 10:18 AM

The bigger the better - while you're parked.

When driving, small is good. I've had a few right hand turns that I couldn't make - so now I check Google Maps satellite view to see how tight the right hand turns are once I get off the main highways. I've even purposely driven past my exit to take another one with less tight turns. So when I'm driving I wish i had 36 footer. ** although bigger (heavier and with a tag axle) is more stable on the highway. My rig pushes 18 wheelers around when I pass. LOL

But once setup at the campground, that extra space is great. It's nice to have two couches that two people can stretch out on. There is an old saying "the more time you will be spending together inside your coach (think a couple of days of straight rain) - the more interior space you need".

TonyMac 12-13-2018 10:24 AM

My wise grandmother told me "All things in moderation." My 40'er is about the right size for me. I know there are rigs with 12.5% more length, and there might be things in that added length that I don't have now, but besides a half bath, what would they be? Bunks? In the extra 5'? Short bunks or they take up room elsewhere. My 40 is 12.5% easier to maneuver, no hassle or cost of a tag, I can tow 5' more and still be legal. No, big enough is big enough. It's all about the floor plan.

Mr_D 12-13-2018 10:32 AM

People buy and drive what they like. Some long and some short. I happen to like longer.

Jake21 12-13-2018 10:32 AM

I am in a 40 foot. My next coach will be bigger. After 6 years full timing I am ready for a 1 1/2 bath with the main bath behind the bedroom.

Mudfrog 12-13-2018 10:35 AM

It's all a matter of opinion. Some people want to live in a 10,000 square foot home. Some people want the largest automobiles they can get and some want a massive sized motorhome.

But then you have people like me that want to go smaller with just about everything. Our automobiles are medium in size, house a lowly 1,800 square feet, and motorhome a measly 28 footer. Guess what? I wouldn't mind going even smaller. I'm all about comfort, practicality, ease of use and maintenance, efficiency, and of course, overall cost of ownership.

For our RV, a nice, comfortable rig capable of pulling the boat is what's important.

tcg 12-13-2018 10:40 AM

I own a 20+ year old 28' Class C, if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd buy a brand new 28' - 30' Class C.

With the same lottery money I would remodel my 1,600 sqft house and keep it.

We like small easily managed things.

Not sure what you're trying to prove or discuss.

TMan59 12-13-2018 10:52 AM

It seems the very same question is being ask... again.
The answer is no.

TTD 12-13-2018 10:54 AM

For me and the wife about to go full time, there are 3 must haves:

1 - the bath and a half

2 - dual couches to watch TV

3 - and lots of underneath storage.

Unfortunately, to get all of those you generally have to go over 40 foot, so that's where we landed.

Charlie and Martha 12-13-2018 11:08 AM

Do I agree? Well, I think that our 40' coach is just right for the two of us. As someone above said "Its all about the floor plan" and I agree with that statement.

We rarely have a problem with sites listed not to exceed 35' because we have 7' from the trailer ball to the center of the rear wheels. This allows me to back in all the way to the curb block and I can still park the toad in front (in most cases). Where this falls short is if there is an obstacle such as a tree at the back of the pad. Overall, we fit into most sites about 85% of the time.

As TTD just said we had three requisites when when bought our new to us Newmar Northern Star. 1. Four slides 2. King bed 3. Diesel pusher. So, we wound up with the Northern Star.

lwmcguire 12-13-2018 11:11 AM

Once again, it is very easy to down size a motor home but very expensive to upsize one. Try to buy what you are going to want to keep for several years. Personally you have to be very comfortable with your floor plan and storage or why be on the road? Turns out some folks try to rationalize what they have and the rest of us just enjoy what we have.

vsheetz 12-13-2018 11:15 AM

We have had 28', 37' and 40'. Would buy a 40' again.