iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Caterpillar Engine Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/)
-   -   Overheating (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/overheating-425018.html)

Lost man 12-30-2018 09:56 AM

Overheating

Think clutch fan is not working. Can only feel it working for a few seconds once you start up then shuts off. Does it start when temp gets to manufacture says 207 or sooner? Can it be in the ECU. Changed the sending unit and both Themostats still overheating.

Rkesselus 12-30-2018 10:12 AM

A little more information on when and how it overheats would help with advise on problem or fix.

MO Fred 12-30-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost man (Post 4565716)
Think clutch fan is not working. Can only feel it working for a few seconds once you start up then shuts off. Does it start when temp gets to manufacture says 207 or sooner? Can it be in the ECU. Changed the sending unit and both Themostats still overheating.

I would not think your clutch fan would start working on start up... should be controlled by a thermostat reaching a certain temp. I can never feel my radiator clutch engaging. But... I can assume it is working when the temp gets up to about 194 and then pushes back down to about 190 in a mater of seconds.

Soppy 12-30-2018 11:53 AM

The clutch should engage when the engine is started then again when the engine temp goes about 10 deg hotter than the factory rated thermostat. If the clutch is working , you will hear it when the engine is running hot. It should keep the temp below 220.
The ECM may or may not control the clutch.

Lost man 12-30-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rkesselus (Post 4565744)
A little more information on when and how it overheats would help with advise on problem or fix.

Can only drive 5 miles, then overheats. Cat 3630; 330 hp. Fan doesnít come on when temp reads 222

Lost man 12-30-2018 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=MO Fred;4565853]I would not think your clutch fan would start working on start up... should be controlled by a thermostat reaching a certain temp. I can never feel my radiator clutch engaging. But... I can assume it is working when the temp gets up to about 194 and then pushes back down to about 190 in a mater of seconds.

Mine not working,overheating all the time ,can drive 5 miles then I shut her down

twinboat 12-30-2018 03:53 PM

Is the fan clutch air, electric or thermal activated ?

Thermal will spin up at startup and then calm down, until hot. If the radiator is plugged, the hot air won't reach the thermal spring in the center. Look between the cores.

Air and electric will only spin up when at 200įs or so. Then they engage and spin up. You still need clean radaitor cores.

2 Stroker 12-30-2018 05:23 PM

How many miles are on it, being a rear radiator I would think you may need to pull the radiator to really clean radiator cores. Where is the breather hose to the motor, needs to be to the rear of the coach.
2 stroker

Rkesselus 12-30-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost man (Post 4566007)
Can only drive 5 miles, then overheats. Cat 3630; 330 hp. Fan doesnít come on when temp reads 222

What is your definition of overheat. Just a message, temp. gage or hot enough to lose coolant? Can you see the fan, side radiator. I am not familiar with a Cat 3630. If you have the engine serial number we can look up the fan clutch type to troubleshoot your problem

discovery39s 12-30-2018 07:02 PM

As 2 Stroker stated. A rear DP needs cleaned on a regular basis. Pull your floor up and look at the face of the CAC and Rad with an inspection camera OR have a helper shine alight on one side while looking at the other.
?How many Miles on your coach?
?Last time the RAD/CAC was cleaned?

Lost man 12-30-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rkesselus (Post 4565744)

Itís overheating About every 5 miles stays normal the first couple of miles then moves fast to out of normal,stay to stay around 50 mph but continues to rise. Had coolant changed,hoses are good. On gage it moves out of normal quickly.

Lost man 12-30-2018 07:55 PM

[QUOTE=discovery39s;4566514]As 2 Stroker stated. A rear DP needs cleaned on a regular basis. Pull your floor up and look at the face of the CAC and Rad with an inspection camera OR have a helper shine alight on one side while looking at the other.
?How many Miles on your coach?
?Last time the RAD/CAC was cleaned.
Cleaned rad Sun( blew rad with air then water, changed fluid Sun,changed cap,both thermostats and sending unit. 65000 miles

Lost man 12-30-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rkesselus (Post 4566384)
What is your definition of overheat. Just a message, temp. gage or hot enough to lose coolant? Can you see the fan, side radiator. I am not familiar with a Cat 3630. If you have the engine serial number we can look up the fan clutch type to troubleshoot your problem

I donít let it get that hot to lose fluids, but all sensors, bells whistles go off on dash at 210* coach lose power at 220

Cat 12-31-2018 12:18 AM

With your engine at 210 your fan should be loud. When you get it hot have someone keep the engine at 1800 rpm or above in neutral with brake on and go back to the radiator outside the fan should be loud and there should be a lot of air blowing out the radiator. If you have the fan noise but very little air movement on the lower part of the radiator the radiator is plugged externally. One other thing I have seen is if you get a high concentration of antifreeze 70% or above the engine will overheat under loaded conditions- but your fan still should be blowing air and be very loud with raised engine rpms.
Cat had a 3160 but it was a V8 and it was like a 1980 year engine. Maybe you have a 3126?