iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Flexsteel Captain Chairs (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/flexsteel-captain-chairs-425425.html)

Bandit73 01-02-2019 03:38 PM

Flexsteel Captain Chairs

Has anyone had problems with the so called leather
flaking off, they are only 5 years old. Any kind of
warrantee or recall?

Larry
2013 Fleetwood Excursion 35C

exrench 01-02-2019 05:03 PM

If you could get warranty,they would probably reward you with more of that nasty material. I would make contact with an upholsterer who could suggest some sort of fabric that is nicer to sit on for a day's journey.

MSHappyCampers 01-02-2019 05:06 PM

Hi ! :wavey: Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang! :dance:

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

lllkrob 01-02-2019 05:55 PM

The problem is not with Flexsteel, it is with your RV manufacturer that specified the cheapest possible material be used in the construction of the seats. Contact your RV manufacturer for out of warranty assistance with their poor quality specified material. I can tell you now that you won't get any, just as Thor wouldn't do anything about the poor quality material they specified when I had my gas coach. When it came time to replace that coach, Thor wasn't considered.

chuckftboy 01-02-2019 09:54 PM

Fleetwood ordered really crappy material on many of their seats and 4 or 5 years was all they were good for. New seats with quality material will set you back around $3,000.00 but are worth the cost.

NLOVNIT 01-02-2019 10:48 PM

There are lots of threads on this subject. It's a very common issue during certain model years when mfr's spec'd cheaper material. Some mfr's will help you, others won't. From what I've read, FW is in the "won't" column.

Lori-

RVPioneer 01-02-2019 11:03 PM

New leather can be ordered from Flexsteel. Remove the old, install the new. Expect cost to be around $450/chair. Older Flexsteel products are superior to newer, no surprise there. I wouldn’t expect any manufacturer to cover replacement of 5 year old leather, except maybe Marathon.

Dennis_K 01-03-2019 10:19 AM

I have a friend with a 2015 Dutch Star and his seats went bad in a couple of years. Newmar replaced the couches and dinette, and recovered the driver and passenger seats. The replacement material doesn't look very good.

Bahamaniac 01-04-2019 08:11 PM

Mine are 20 years old this year and still look GREAT! I would have them recovered rather buy new if I had issues.

Rolling Ragu 01-05-2019 05:42 AM

We purchased our coach a few months ago. The seats had minimal flaking when we purchased. However, with just a few days of use, they are flaking at an alarming rate. They look quite terrible now.

Anyway, the original owners had received a set of new covers from Flexsteel through warranty, which we received with the coach.

I'm debating whether or not to put them on? If they are no better than the original material, it will be short lived. And, we're considering they may be more value to put on just prior to selling (if/when we ever do). Actually, typing that out makes it sound obvious that we should put them on and enjoy them ourselves. I do get embarrassed by the current condition. Friends are amazed at the condition of the coach, but always say, "but those seats....". :)

So does anyone have knowledge that there may have been a change in quality with the replacement covers?

ThePowells 01-06-2019 02:49 AM

:wavey::welcome: Welcome to the forum!!

Mason Dixon 01-07-2019 04:53 AM

I replaced the seat skins on our flex steel chairs because they were pealing. I specified ultra leather fabric and flex steel made them to the original pattern. They cost about $400 each and I installed them. Your new covers could be the same or different material depending on what was ordered. I would put them on and use them and if they go bad, replace with better material in the future.

mrsportys 01-08-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tragusa3 (Post 4574662)
We purchased our coach a few months ago. The seats had minimal flaking when we purchased. However, with just a few days of use, they are flaking at an alarming rate. They look quite terrible now.

Anyway, the original owners had received a set of new covers from Flexsteel through warranty, which we received with the coach.

I'm debating whether or not to put them on? If they are no better than the original material, it will be short lived. And, we're considering they may be more value to put on just prior to selling (if/when we ever do). Actually, typing that out makes it sound obvious that we should put them on and enjoy them ourselves. I do get embarrassed by the current condition. Friends are amazed at the condition of the coach, but always say, "but those seats....". :)

So does anyone have knowledge that there may have been a change in quality with the replacement covers?

I first called flexsteel last year as I did not have flaking but a very very thin fabric on my bench seat in the kitchen. It was after a year of very little use. (Not a Fleetwood problem, but it is in the quality bought)
I gave it a shot anyway . Flexsteel said we can sell you the completed fabric for your bench seat. I decided to go this route at a $218 cost.
I decided after that to send the old seat back to customer service and also cc’d the company ceo.
Many e mails later with no response I finally stated in an email that I would address this thru rv motorhome. That got an immediate response from customer service. They said as they didn’t create the fabric only the frame I should talk to the fabric makers.
They supplied that name. This company said they no longer dealt with that company but knew about the problem and offered all new fabric ( as they fully agreed the old fabric was garbage) they now used a different higher quality fabric of a different type.
They offered to send swatches for me to choose from and would ship me new fabric.
Confused I said, fabric? Yep, yards of fabric free to have interior reupholstered that I would have to have done.
Worth it? Yes. No. ?