iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   Numerous cracked rims on tow vehicle. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/numerous-cracked-rims-on-tow-vehicle-426306.html)

makolab 01-09-2019 11:10 AM

Numerous cracked rims on tow vehicle.

Hey all. I have searched everywhere on this forum for an issue like mine. No luck so I hope you can help me out.

I have a 2006 F250 CC diesel with about 150000 miles and approximately 35 x 12.5x16 (dont ask about the rim size. That's another story.) BFG A/T tires which have been awesome. Until 2 years ago, we had a 26 ft travel trailer that we towed all over the south east. Never an issue for the truck but the trailer had numerous blowouts and that's when I learned about "cheap" tires. After having new tires installed, I had no more tire issues.

Now since 2 years. Wife wanted an upgrade and we bought a Denali 335RLK in 2016 as a 2017 model. Still towing with the same truck with the same wheels and rims.

5th wheel has about 6000 miles and recently had tread separation and caused damage to the trailer. I have the tire and I am trying to contact the manufacturer of CONSTANCY tire for a claim. Bought 5 Goodyear Endurance tires as to not deal with the "chinese bombs".

The real issue is the truck. Within the last 2 years, I have had 3 after market rims crack and needed to be replaced. Yes, 3 on the truck. Is there an issue with towing a 5th wheel with large 35 inch tires? I looked on the internet and couldn't find a lot of info about tire size and issues with the rims. Do I need to go back to the smaller, stock rims and tires? Three cracked rims is excessive so there is obviously an issue.

I appreciate any help on this one.

RescueRamsey 01-09-2019 11:26 AM

I used to tow an apx. 15k 5th wheel with my f250. 6 inch lift and 35" tires. Never an issue. 2 things come to mind in you situation, 1 cheap wheels, let's face it, stuff is not made like it used to be. What brand are the wheels? Where are they manufacturing them? China? 2 most aftermarket wheels are lug centric not hub centric like factory wheels, meaning the lugs and studs support the weight of the truck, instead of the hub like it's designed for. This can cause issues. Seen it many times. What I would do to attempt to fix the issues is get a set of hub centric rings, most good tire and wheel shops can get them. You can also find them online, you will need to know the diameter of the wheel center to order them. Once installed they will place the load on the hub center rather then the studs. If that doesn't work, I'd get different wheels.

Old-Biscuit 01-09-2019 11:38 AM

What position are the rims that are cracking..........Rear each time or front/rear?

What weight capacity are the rims?

How much weight is on trucks rear axle and tires when towing 5th wheel?
5th wheel Pin Weight?

Have you ever weighed the truck/5vr combo so you know the weight being carried?

ScoobyDoo 01-09-2019 11:39 AM

First thing I would check is your weight. Put it on a scale, then check the rating on wheels.

Hamn OB, you type faster than me twice...

Old-Biscuit 01-09-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo (Post 4581235)
First thing I would check is your weight. Put it on a scale, then check the rating on wheels.

Hamn OB, you type faster than me twice...

2 finger hunt/peck is best I can do ..... must be I read post WAY before you do
:laugh:

makolab 01-09-2019 01:05 PM

I have these on my truck.

http://www.motometalwheels.com/wheel/4475/mo951

Specifically, the last one on the chart.

I have not weighed the trailer yet but here are the specs for a 2017 Denali 335RLK.

WEIGHTS
Average Shipping Weight (lbs.) 9,929
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 2,194
Cargo Capacity (lbs.) 2,551
MEASUREMENTS
Height 13' 0''
Length 37' 6''

I cant remember the location of the first rim. The second rim that cracked was on the left front of the truck and the third one was on the left rear of the truck.

I went out to look at the spare that is currently on the truck and it appears that it is surrounding the hub as stated by RescueRamsey above. The MOTO rims are not. They rest on the lugs.

raineman 01-09-2019 01:10 PM

How fast are towing?

makolab 01-09-2019 01:13 PM

I usually tow between 65 to 70 mph. A little faster if I have to pass.

ScoobyDoo 01-09-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 4581263)
2 finger hunt/peck is best I can do ..... must be I read post WAY before you do
:laugh:

I also use the Columbus method. And spell-check makes it look like Zebra intercourse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by makolab (Post 4581332)
I have these on my truck.

http://www.motometalwheels.com/wheel/4475/mo951

Specifically, the last one on the chart.

I have not weighed the trailer yet but here are the specs for a 2017 Denali 335RLK.

WEIGHTS
Average Shipping Weight (lbs.) 9,929
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 2,194
Cargo Capacity (lbs.) 2,551
MEASUREMENTS
Height 13' 0''
Length 37' 6''

How do you break a cookie? Apply more force than it was made to handle.
How do you break a board? Apply more force than it was made to handle.
How do you break a leg? Apply more force than it was made to handle.
You have towed 6000 miles, and had parts break, but never weighed it? Oookayy

Quote:

I went out to look at the spare that is currently on the truck and it appears that it is surrounding the hub as stated by RescueRamsey above. The MOTO rims are not. They rest on the lugs.
If you are using stud piloted wheels the nuts must be cone shaped to go in the holes of wheels, not flat to clamp the wheel to hub.

Mr_D 01-09-2019 02:03 PM

I had two rims crack on one Type B MH. Investigation found that the wheels were not rated for the weight. In fact there were no chrome rims made that were rated for enough. Had to go to Alcoa forged rims. Luckily the MH manufacturer paid for them because the rig was imported to from Canada and the original wheels were illegal to import.

vito.a 01-09-2019 02:13 PM

You are exceeding the weight limits of the Moto Metal wheels.
Have you submitted any of the broken wheels to Moto Metal for evaluation?
Switch to Alcoa or Centerline wheels and your crack problem will stop.

Jshopes81 01-09-2019 03:57 PM

Cheap chinese made wheels. Sorry, theyre trash. Add weld to the list if theyre still in business of wheels to get. They have forged aluminum and i think american force does too if you need that look.

ransil 01-09-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vito.a (Post 4581393)
You are exceeding the weight limits of the Moto Metal wheels.
Have you submitted any of the broken wheels to Moto Metal for evaluation?
Switch to Alcoa or Centerline wheels and your crack problem will stop.

I broke 2 centerline wheels , been years ago but no towing these were on a Bronco 2.

JIMNLIN 01-09-2019 07:02 PM

Where were the cracks. That can help determine a over load or a aggressive driver(s) or bad driving habits while carrying a load.
Over weight and over pressure can break/crack the wheels centers or split the wheels bead seats.