iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Workkamping & Volunteering (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f89/)
-   -   Work Camping In Wyoming Question (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f89/work-camping-in-wyoming-question-427347.html)

Yosemite77 01-17-2019 07:39 AM

Work Camping In Wyoming Question

Down the road, once my wife and I are both retired, Work Camping is something we have talked about doing. Weíve also discussed working at Yellowstone.

My question is this: Are camp hosts in Wyoming required to purchase temporary vehicle registrations like other seasonal workers? On the one hand they are volunteering, but they are also working. If the answer is yes, would you have to get temporary registrations for both truck and camper?
I was looking online for an answer, and saw that seasonal workers have to pay $50 every 30 days. That could get expensive.

WYO George 01-17-2019 08:54 AM

Yes on the vehicle, probably not on the camper. Some counties enforce it rather vigorously while others don’t care.

If you move here as a permanent resident you’re required to change over drivers license and vehicle registration quickly.

Yosemite77 01-17-2019 03:06 PM

I donít care for winters here in Illinois. I suspect winter in Wyoming is even colder.

Itís interesting to me that enforcement is left up to the counties. I wonder if they get a share of the $$. It seems like a big money grab that might cause some people to look elsewhere for work.

Given the economy was doing well, I wonder if they had trouble filling positions last summer for either work camping or summer jobs around Yellowstone? Iím hearing stories of companies around here having trouble finding people to fill job openings.

grindstone01 01-17-2019 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That would be a good question to ask the park personnel that you are applying at. They should be very familiar with that issue and the local enforcement stand. We volunteer all over the US and have never had a issue with our Texas vehicle registrations.

Yosemite77 01-18-2019 08:03 AM

Wyoming is the only state that Iíve heard that requires temporary registrations like this. I assume with their relatively small population they are looking for ways to generate revenue.

Yosemite77 01-18-2019 08:04 AM

Impressive map, by the way.

Canyonglampr 01-18-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosemite77 (Post 4593965)
I donít care for winters here in Illinois. I suspect winter in Wyoming is even colder.

Itís interesting to me that enforcement is left up to the counties. I wonder if they get a share of the $$. It seems like a big money grab that might cause some people to look elsewhere for work.

Given the economy was doing well, I wonder if they had trouble filling positions last summer for either work camping or summer jobs around Yellowstone? Iím hearing stories of companies around here having trouble finding people to fill job openings.

Don't know about Yellowstone but here at the Grand Canyon there is always a shortage of workers especially during the summer, I would think Yellowstone has similar issues. If you have a pulse you can pretty much get a job here.

lenkerb 01-19-2019 08:57 PM

We worked/volunteered at the Buffalo Bill State Park 40 miles from the East Gate of Yellowstone. We did that for five years from May to September and never had to get any temp tags.

WYO George 01-20-2019 08:34 AM

It's one of those things that you are technically required to have, but it's not commonly enforced, especially for something like you are talking about. A guy in a campground is a "tourist", not a "worker" in the eyes of most any deputy sheriff. The main drive behind it is the larger companies that send in dozens/hundreds of oilfield/wind farm/mining employees who will stay here for a month and go home. At any given time there can be hundreds if not a few thousand non-resident workers in the state and it costs the local government for road repairs/police/fire/etc. related to the workers, but being temporary workers they get almost no tax revenue from them. That's why they impose the temp registration, to gain a little revenue to offset the loss.

A little example>I was a deputy sheriff in a large county with a very small population. The oilfield exploded and suddenly there were hundreds of trucks from out of state pouring in, setting up "man camps" and the constant truck traffic destroyed many of our roads which were either very old asphalt or gravel . When the workers weren't working they were constantly creating issues like drunk driving, vehicle crashes, fights, thefts, drugs, etc. They would bring the food and drugs with them so about the only thing they bought local was alcohol. It put a strain on our county in terms of law enforcement and road repairs to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars a month which is significant for a county of our size.

That's why you mainly see the enforcement done by the county Sheriff's Office and not as commonly enforced by other agencies. If you're somewhere like Cody/Park County where 95% of their income is from tourism then they'll neither care nor have the manpower to decipher tourist from seasonal worker. If you're somewhere with very little tourism and a lot of oilfield workers then they will care a lot more about it, but they'll still care less about someone working in a campground because you'll still look like a tourist to them.

I hope that clears up a little about why we have them here and why it varies across the state as to how it's handled.

Yosemite77 01-21-2019 05:18 AM

I appreciate the info. Thanks,

Carli Lloyd 07-31-2019 01:27 PM

It's truly appreciated after getting such kind of feedback in this regard. Many thanks for my end and deserve more and more response in future.

Agesilaus 08-22-2019 05:43 PM

Just a thought, with millions of visitors cycling thru YNP just how are they going to pick out your truck as a temp worker? I can see it working in the oil field country where there is a high density of out of state workers but not in western Wyoming where there are a hundred tourists for every worker.