iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Double/Triple Towing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/double-triple-towing-428222.html)

aknavy 01-24-2019 10:40 AM

Double/Triple Towing

So, as the wife and I are torn on staying with a fiver or switching to a motor home, one option that seems kinda viable for our lifestyle and the trailer is to flat tow a toad behind the fiver - most likely a Jeep.

I know there are a limited number of fivers that can handle that, and I'm ok with that -and I know it's not legal everywhere, but it is most of the places we plan on spending the next couple of years.

So - looking for feedback from those that have actually done it. How was it, and was it more hassle than what it's worth?

Ray,IN 01-24-2019 10:53 AM

Just to clarify-per FMCSA USDOT regs: towing configurations.
No state I'm aware of allows triple-towing(3 trailers) for non-commercial vehicles.
Some states that allow double-towing require the 2nd trailer to be a boat trailer.
Individual states set their own rules/laws for towing limitations.

aknavy 01-24-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray,IN (Post 4604048)
Just to clarify-per FMCSA USDOT regs: towing configurations.
No state I'm aware of allows triple-towing(3 trailers) for non-commercial vehicles.
Some states that allow double-towing require the 2nd trailer to be a boat trailer.
Individual states set their own rules/laws for towing limitations.

Yeah, some people refer to it as triple towing, but in reality it's double - trailer and toad. Didn't know about the boat trailer restriction, will have to investigate that.

Clomok 01-24-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aknavy (Post 4604029)
So, as the wife and I are torn on staying with a fiver or switching to a motor home, one option that seems kinda viable for our lifestyle and the trailer is to flat tow a toad behind the fiver - most likely a Jeep.

I know there are a limited number of fivers that can handle that, and I'm ok with that -and I know it's not legal everywhere, but it is most of the places we plan on spending the next couple of years.

So - looking for feedback from those that have actually done it. How was it, and was it more hassle than what it's worth?

I would not, doubling adds in so many more variables, stress to the 5ver, and limits control you actually have over the load. A blowout could be catastrophic.

Unplanned 01-24-2019 11:12 AM

Go to a MH, you'll never look back.

aknavy 01-24-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unplanned (Post 4604075)
Go to a MH, you'll never look back.

Kinda what I'm figuring, but weighing all options/input at the moment.

Old-Biscuit 01-24-2019 11:26 AM

MH---Jeep
Go where you want w/o worry over various state tow laws concerning double/triple tow
Unhook Jeep...park MH

Truck/5th wheel---Jeep
5vr frame

Overall length
Double/triple tow laws
Unhook Jeep....park 5vr---unhook 5th wheel
Large enough site to park
GCVWR

Owners choice.....just have to decide what works best for how/what you want to do.

mobilemike 01-24-2019 11:45 AM

Diesel pusher or super C. Otherwise you are looking at a flatbed with a camper on the front and the jeep on the back.

mobilemike 01-24-2019 11:47 AM

This
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/atta...t-2011-008.jpg

Dropthejacks 01-24-2019 11:57 AM

I don't get it. If you switch to a MoHo and pull a Jeep, when you get to where you are going you have one vehicle to cruise around in, that being the Jeep. If you pull a 5er down the road, when you get where you are going, you've got the tow vehicle to see the sights. I don't see going through the aggravation of dragging a 2nd car down the road, just to have a smaller vehicle to ride around in?

aknavy 01-24-2019 12:18 PM

I don't see the dually and off road, access roads, and trail heads mixing well.

Dropthejacks 01-24-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aknavy (Post 4604161)

Gotcha. Just wondering, not judging.:thumb: Everybody has their own plan.

Clomok 01-24-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aknavy (Post 4604161)

My buddy has a smaller (30) Toy hauler he puts his Jeep inside when they go out.

aknavy 01-24-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clomok (Post 4604249)
My buddy has a smaller (30) Toy hauler he puts his Jeep inside when they go out.

We full time, need all the living space we can get.

This is just confirming what we've already concluded..... Motorhome is the way to go.