iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Wire loving rodent (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/wire-loving-rodent-433233.html)

CJ7ole 03-04-2019 06:13 PM

Wire loving rodent
 
1 Attachment(s)
Got to my campsite after storing my rig for 3 months on asphalt near the Sarasota airport. Ordered up my usual internet service from Spectrum and they said I was getting a poor signal so they would need to send out tech. FYI I ripped out all of the old RG59 coax along with the coax switch five years ago and ran RG 6 from the rear electric bay, uninterrupted, to the cabinet over the passenger seat. Well, this is what we found:

Old and new coax chewed down to the central solid conductor, a vacuum hose severed, the firewall grommet nearly gone and I am hoping everything else chewed and exposed is audio wiring, I will find out tomorrow when I dig out the wiring diagram. (The RG6 wire was cut before I took the pic, it is at the top). Right now I have a temp cable running from the pedestal to the cabinet running through the driver door.

oscarvan 03-04-2019 06:24 PM

Yup, they can do a lot of damage. Squirrel?

bizzerbiz 03-04-2019 06:48 PM

If your deductible is less than the fix it cost, have them pay the difference. No tag on your insurance as it's nature. Good luck.

CJ7ole 03-04-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarvan (Post 4662533)
Yup, they can do a lot of damage. Squirrel?

Could be, it was near a tree.

CJ7ole 03-04-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizzerbiz (Post 4662573)
If your deductible is less than the fix it cost, have them pay the difference. No tag on your insurance as it's nature. Good luck.

It will be a DIY project, thanks for the info though.

RKins 03-04-2019 07:16 PM

Nasty!! Feel for you man. My coach lives beside my house on a pad in Sarasota. One time I found one bay storage area with a bunch of acorns :banghead: I also found rat droppings in the bays and sometimes the coach. I have started a heavy peppermint oil on cotton balls in punctured baggies strategy - seems to work plus I have some rat traps set in strategic spots - caught one a month ago but none since (no acorns anymore either). Not sure where they are getting in ....

oscarvan 03-04-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKins (Post 4662622)
Nasty!! Feel for you man. My coach lives beside my house on a pad in Sarasota. One time I found one bay storage area with a bunch of acorns :banghead: I also found rat droppings in the bays and sometimes the coach. I have started a heavy peppermint oil on cotton balls in punctured baggies strategy - seems to work plus I have some rat traps set in strategic spots - caught one a month ago but none since (no acorns anymore either). Not sure where they are getting in ....

Rats and acorns????? Acorns is squirrels in my book.... then again... it's Florida ;)

ByeTheWay 03-04-2019 07:32 PM

Rats in AZ. I use rid-a-rat. No problem. I did catch 20 in a snap trap.

CJ7ole 03-06-2019 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Three wires completely severed, one vacuum line with a piece taken out, and three more wires with insulation stripped off. Last fall I purchased a box full of Wirefy heat shrink butt connectors with the matching ratcheting crimper, came in very handy today. Bought a roll of Scotch Super 88 to rewrap the wires and a roll of Gorilla tape to replace the grommet. After squeezing the Gorilla tape wrapped cable bundle through the hole, I ripped several pieces to half width and added several layers inside and out to secure it in place.

Wires were primarily related to the air conditioner. A few abandoned coax that were damaged were simply removed.

oscarvan 03-06-2019 06:42 PM

So.... because there was water coming into my basement when driving in the rain I went looking for the leak. Found holes big enough to send a herd of rodents through....

https://dragonship.blog/basement-leak/

marjoa 03-06-2019 06:46 PM

A question to general population here:
What is it about coax, wiring, wire harnesses and the like that attracts rodents and squirrels in the first place? Why chew on these items and not something else or somewhere else? Like rubber gas lines, tires, slide seals, water drain lines, hydraulic hoses...get my drift?
:popcorn:

CJ7ole 03-06-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marjoa (Post 4665463)
A question to general population here:
What is it about coax, wiring, wire harnesses and the like that attracts rodents and squirrels in the first place? Why chew on these items and not something else or somewhere else? Like rubber gas lines, tires, slide seals, water drain lines, hydraulic hoses...get my drift?
:popcorn:

And how do they know to go right to the place where it enters the coach, that big ol' grommet?

bydnar 03-06-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marjoa (Post 4665463)
A question to general population here:
What is it about coax, wiring, wire harnesses and the like that attracts rodents and squirrels in the first place? Why chew on these items and not something else or somewhere else? Like rubber gas lines, tires, slide seals, water drain lines, hydraulic hoses...get my drift?
:popcorn:

I was told that the insulation is made from a soybean based material. Therefore, some of the soy scent/flavor/aroma remains? I've had several rounds of damage with squirrels. Remember the movie Caddy Shack? That's me.

oscarvan 03-06-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bydnar (Post 4665637)
I was told that the insulation is made from a soybean based material.

New cars. Last few years. Law suit against Toyota just for this.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.