iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Yuppie - Stripe removal made easy (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/yuppie-stripe-removal-made-easy-437521.html)

tycham 04-03-2019 02:20 PM

Yuppie - Stripe removal made easy

I am getting ready to have my Georgetown repainted and a huge part of the cost is prep. Originally I was just going to put new stripes on it and in preparation took the strip off the passenger side. I used everything and ended up using a bunch of the 4" eraser wheels that you chuck in a drill. Yes, it worked but it was hard work, took a long time and a bunch of erasers.

A couple years ago I bought what I thought would be a better answer. Well, I just did front, back and the driver side in two hours. This is the best and easiest way to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

theroc 04-03-2019 02:46 PM

Just curious why it is that that they require proof that you're a "professional/commercial user" to purchase the disc? Is it that dangerous to use?

And why are you only addressing "yuppies" in our suggestion? I'm an old decrepit fart. Is it too dangerous for me to use? Or is it only intended for young professional types? --actually, haven't heard the term yuppie used in a long time, takes me back to the early 1980s, LOL

MEWright 04-03-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theroc (Post 4709207)
Just curious why it is that that they require proof that you're a "professional/commercial user" to purchase the disc? Is it that dangerous to use?

And why are you only addressing "yuppies" in our suggestion? I'm an old decrepit fart. Is it too dangerous for me to use? Or is it only intended for young professional types? --actually, haven't heard the term yuppie used in a long time, takes me back to the early 1980s, LOL

Now dont go and get all upset.. I think he was referring to the stripe as a "Yuppie Stripe" like the old Lactose Polo shirts,, Lets go with that :thumb: ..

And it may be dangerous to use but dont let that stop you! Post videos we all want to see.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

theroc 04-03-2019 05:25 PM

LOL! aaah, ok. Yeah, that really got me upset!!

Old age is terrible on cognition. Yuppie stripes! ...got it.

Yeah, I've used orbital sanders before so I'd probably take a chance but was just curious as to why they'd require verification that the buyer is a professional user. I wonder if they'd sell one to me without verification as I'm kind of interested in it for another purpose. Kind of pricey, though.

neub 04-03-2019 05:35 PM

I think it meant "yippee" but spell check might have bit him ???

Nohurry 04-03-2019 06:14 PM

Glad it worked for you, cause it better at 83 bucks! Iíve seen it done carefully with heat gun.

Dav L 04-04-2019 08:05 AM

The 3M Eraser is the real deal.
It is marketed to the body shop pro market.
If you were to wear a tie while using it, then it could get entangled in the eraser and yank your head off. That's why the warning. So, don't wear a tie.

Ucbyrickg 04-04-2019 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 240633

3m has them cheaper and are sold at many Napa stores and automotive paint stores, no experience needed.

Nohurry 04-04-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dav L (Post 4710107)
The 3M Eraser is the real deal.
It is marketed to the body shop pro market.
If you were to wear a tie while using it, then it could get entangled in the eraser and yank your head off. That's why the warning. So, don't wear a tie.

:2funny:

MSchu 04-04-2019 09:13 AM

I might have to try that too. I have an old Holiday Rambler trailer that the stripes are flaking off, but the rubber eraser has almost no effect on them. It would sure look better with them gone.

u04601 04-04-2019 09:39 AM

Reading the description on the Amazon link provided, the only underlying surface it refers to is metal. One of the reviews talks about how easy it "burns" a gel coat type of surface. So, take your chances and pay attention to how much decal you are trying to take off at once.

tycham 04-04-2019 09:46 AM

Yuppie is what Howdy Doody uses to say. Has nothing to do with 'yuppies' but a cowboy yell.

I have no idea on the disclaimer. It was 'easy' and worked well. It can get away from you but not once you learn the technique

Jim_HiTek 04-04-2019 10:38 AM

Pretty sure you'd enjoy the experience more if you let someone else do that job. Maybe while sipping a pina colada in Mazatlan. At least that's what I found.

Waiter21 04-04-2019 10:46 AM

When I painted my Southwind, I tried a lot of different methods for removing the old graphics.

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

Scroll down to GRAPHICS REMOVAL in the article. For me, it came down to three methods that worked, depending on the condition of the vinyl .

Heat gun, chemical, or eraser.