iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Portable Progressive Industries and Extension Cord? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/portable-progressive-industries-and-extension-cord-443834.html)

boomersooner 05-14-2019 04:44 AM

Portable Progressive Industries and Extension Cord?
 
I have a 50 AMP Progressive Industry portable Surge Protector for my recently sold camper. Getting ready to order a Tiffin Allegro Red 37BA in July for January pick up. Can I connect the portable unit to the RV and use a 50 amp extension cord? I would keep the PI unit in the storage by with the RV's electric cord (so as not to have it connected to the power box outside for safe keeping) and use the extension cord to reach from the PI unit to the electric box at the camp site.

NLOVNIT 05-14-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomersooner (Post 4772503)
... Can I connect the portable unit to the RV and use a 50 amp extension cord? I would keep the PI unit in the storage by with the RV's electric cord (so as not to have it connected to the power box outside for safe keeping) and use the extension cord to reach from the PI unit to the electric box at the camp site.

You can. Why do you not want the PI direct connected to the power pedestal? That's what it's designed for.

I prefer to have as little extra cords between my RV's power cord & the pedestal box because every extra piece in the mix can degrade the power. While I notice this most when I've got the coach plugged into our 20A garage receptacle & am running an extension cord 50 ft (the longer the cord, the less the power transferred through) to meet up with the coach's power cord, I still prefer to have as few extra cables in the mix.

Lori-

boomersooner 05-15-2019 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLOVNIT (Post 4773296)
You can. Why do you not want the PI direct connected to the power pedestal? That's what it's designed for.

I prefer to have as little extra cords between my RV's power cord & the pedestal box because every extra piece in the mix can degrade the power. While I notice this most when I've got the coach plugged into our 20A garage receptacle & am running an extension cord 50 ft (the longer the cord, the less the power transferred through) to meet up with the coach's power cord, I still prefer to have as few extra cables in the mix.

Lori-

Although I do have the cable lock that came with it sometimes it does not fit (I cannot secure it) to certain power pedestals. The cable is to short, although I can just get a longer cable. It is expensive and would hate to see it walk away just sitting on a power pedestal. I was think if it were inside the bay in the RV it could be locked up.

Your point about power degradation is well taken and will consider your point.

NLOVNIT 05-15-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomersooner (Post 4774047)
... It is expensive and would hate to see it walk away just sitting on a power pedestal. I was think if it were inside the bay in the RV it could be locked up....

The portable PI, while it could be an easy target, is not an item that regularly disappears from campsites. I've seen them connected on sites at every campground we've visited. I think RV-rs respect (for the most part) personal property. I've read several threads here on members being concerned about that & I've yet to read where one was stolen.

Now bikes, WeberQ's left on picnic tables, camp chairs...etc.....THOSE are prime targets.

Lori-

lllkrob 05-16-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomersooner (Post 4772503)
I have a 50 AMP Progressive Industry portable Surge Protector for my recently sold camper. Getting ready to order a Tiffin Allegro Red 37BA in July for January pick up. Can I connect the portable unit to the RV and use a 50 amp extension cord? I would keep the PI unit in the storage by with the RV's electric cord (so as not to have it connected to the power box outside for safe keeping) and use the extension cord to reach from the PI unit to the electric box at the camp site.


I do this exact thing with my PI unit and have not had any issues at all. Also this gives the coach protection before the transfer switch.

viewfinder 05-16-2019 09:39 PM

I have been doing this for a long time. Just make sure that you buy a good cord and clean the connector blades once in a while. Extra long cord can come in handy.


jim

DeWat 05-17-2019 04:27 AM

Yep, do it all the time. Bought this in May of 2013: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I only unwind the reel if I need the extra length, this way the portable PI lives in the electrical cord bay where it's protected from growing legs and weather. (I know it's supposed to be weatherproof, but several years ago, there were a batch of them that were shorting from rain running down the cord and into the unit). Also several years ago, there was apparently a bad batch of power reels where the contact wipers were causing problems from burns to open neutrals, so it gave me the "feel goods" knowing how little... almost never... that my reel even moved. I did this in our previous Phaeton, Allegro Bus, and current Entegra Anthem.

spdracr39 05-17-2019 05:44 AM

In theory it is better to have the unit as close to the coach as possible if it is an EMS and Surge protector. A long cord can create more of an issue with low voltages especially of the pedestal is already a little low. If the cord gets damaged your unit is between it and the coach. I reality it doesn't really make a difference in function and if I were camping where I thought theft would be an issue I would move on asap.

scbwr 05-17-2019 07:13 AM

Yes, you can do it. I disconnected the power cord from the transfer switch box and replaced it with a 4 foot 50 amp cord (used an electric range cord). The EMS plugs into that, and I put a female plug on the end of the power cord for connecting to the EMS. The system works well and when I pull into a site, I simply plug in the power cord and then check the EMS unit.

I've never been worried about theft and used a 30 amp EMS unit with or travel trailers for years. But I like having the unit out the elements and the added theft deterrent is a bonus.

twinboat 05-17-2019 07:26 AM

If your going to use a range cord, confirm it it has 3, 6 gauge conductors.

Because ranges are 240 volt appliances, some cords run a lighter gauge ( 8 gauge ) neutral conductor.

Many may never load the neutral to 50 amps, but it can happen.

Scooter 05-17-2019 07:26 AM

We use the portable unit chained and padlocked to the power pedestal.

Ljwt330 05-17-2019 09:27 AM

Here's my point in this discussion, for whatever it is worth. Using a 50 amp extension cord could make a difference.

Here's my logic. Let's assume a 25' distance from the pedestal to the RV, and a 50' power cord on a reel. The distance power from the pedestal to the TS inside the RV, therefore, is still 50' because power has to travel the length of the power cord even if it's still on the reel.

Now, connecting the EMS to the end of the power cord and then adding a 25' extension cord to the pedestal makes the power run 75' instead of just 50'--more if the extension cord is a 50' one. The voltage drop will be monitored, of course, but it is an unnecessary drop. Putting the EMS on the pedestal, unwinding the cord from the RV and making the connection to the EMS gives you a power run of only 50'.


Now, the drop in voltage over the added distance (cord length, actually) may be minor, but it's there. Just something to consider when in a CG with sketchy power supply.

Ddjay 05-18-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter (Post 4777111)
We use the portable unit chained and padlocked to the power pedestal.

^^^ This.

boomersooner 05-19-2019 04:49 PM

Lots of great suggestions, both have pluses and minuses. Thanks for the input, still have some time to consider everything.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.