iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Motorcycles, Travel Trailers, Pickups, Oh My! (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/motorcycles-travel-trailers-pickups-oh-my-448952.html)

Itchytoe 06-20-2019 02:59 PM

Motorcycles, Travel Trailers, Pickups, Oh My!

As you can see in my signature, I have a dually pickup and a travel trailer. I'm very likely to be getting a motorcycle soon. Hmm, how the heck do I pull that off? The travel trailer is not a toy hauler, so I can't put the motorcycle in it, and building a ramp and platform on the back isn't really an option either since it will be way too tail heavy then. As far as I can tell, I'm stuck loading the moto into the bed of the truck. The truck has an in bed auxiliary fuel tank in it so it's a little more limiting.

Can a motorcycle fit in a short bed with the tailgate up? Normally, I'd do it with the tailgate down and just tie the bike well. Unfortunately, the TT kinda forces me to have the tailgate up.

GCSuper 06-20-2019 03:33 PM

Short bed plus fuel tank means it's probably a no go, especially if it's a large MC.

keymastr 06-20-2019 04:20 PM

Get a longer shank on your hitch so the tailgate can stay down or remove the in-bed fuel tank.Your other option is to figure out a way to carry it on the front of the truck.

Itchytoe 06-20-2019 07:11 PM

I'm sorry, my original post was a bit misleading. It's a long bed with the fuel tank in it, which results in basically a short bed worth of space. 76" to be exact. If bikes normally fit in a short bed with the tailgate up, I'll be fine.

ike66 06-20-2019 08:36 PM

Are we talking a dirt bike or heavier road bike. I always put my dirt bike in my short bed truck with the front tire in passenger side front corner strap it down then move the rear tire to the driver side back corner and shut tailgate.

RiverBurt 06-20-2019 09:22 PM

Take the tailgate off.

Regardless, size matters. A little bike might fit. A full-dresser won’t.

Itchytoe 06-20-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike66 (Post 4828936)
Are we talking a dirt bike or heavier road bike.

Not a dirt bike. It will definitely be a road bike, probably a standard or maybe sport-touring.

I like RiverBurt's idea of taking the tailgate off. I hadn't thought about that, but it just might give me the room I need. Thanks.

SlowJoe 06-20-2019 10:13 PM

Most sport or sport touring bikes will have the rear tire extending over the tailgate or even sitting on it when in a short bed truck. Outside of front tire to outside of rear tire will be 7-8 feet generally. A cruiser style bike will be even longer. I would suggest measuring a few that you are interested in to see what length they will require.

RiverBurt 06-20-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowJoe (Post 4829057)
Most sport or sport touring bikes will have the rear tire extending over the tailgate or even sitting on it when in a short bed truck. Outside of front tire to outside of rear tire will be 7-8 feet generally. A cruiser style bike will be even longer. I would suggest measuring a few that you are interested in to see what length they will require.

True, but it’s only the first six inches or so behind the rear axle that need to fit in the bed.

That’s why removing the tailgate can be a big deal-maker. There can be 18 or more inches behind that axle that don’t need support, they’re just “in the way”.

mobilemike 06-23-2019 12:32 PM

My FJR is too long by about 3 inches to close the gate on my RAM 6.5ft bed. Enough of the rear tire sits in the bed to have it secured with the tail gate off. It might fit diagonally but it is too heavy to pick up the back end and move it around.

FatChance 06-23-2019 07:04 PM

Get out your tape measure before you buy the motorcycle. Then think about getting a 400-600lb motorcycle up 3+ feet into the bed of the truck, not to mention calculating if the weight of the motorcycle, a ramp and the trailer's tongue weight will overload the truck's capacity.

Itchytoe 06-23-2019 08:29 PM

Nah, it won't overload the capacity. I've got a 6,000 pound payload capacity and a travel trailer with about 1500 pounds max tongue weight. I'm good for a while on that aspect.

Unplanned 06-23-2019 08:49 PM

My GSX-R 1100 fits in my Ranger short box. So something like that will work. Just need a ramp and I back into a dip to load and unload.
Happy Glamping.