iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Quality of roof top air conditioners (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/quality-of-roof-top-air-conditioners-449825.html)

dwhit 07-08-2019 07:48 PM

Our 2014 5th wheel is on its fourth Dometic 15K Brisk Air II...they fail at the welding points on the condenser.

leadman 07-09-2019 08:23 PM

I recently replaced a Coleman Mach Power Saver on my 199 Winnie. It was a 1999 unit.
I also have been interested in running a/c off batteries so have watched several videos on this. What I noticed about the new Dometic units is the very high amp draw when starting. Most were around 80 amps or so. More than double what my Coleman Power Savers draw. It is hard to find locked rotor amp draw on a Dometic, not so with a Coleman.

If it were I would not buy a Dometic if at all possible.

bruceisla 07-10-2019 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadman (Post 4857264)
I recently replaced a Coleman Mach Power Saver on my 199 Winnie. It was a 1999 unit.
I also have been interested in running a/c off batteries so have watched several videos on this. What I noticed about the new Dometic units is the very high amp draw when starting. Most were around 80 amps or so. More than double what my Coleman Power Savers draw. It is hard to find locked rotor amp draw on a Dometic, not so with a Coleman.

If it were I would not buy a Dometic if at all possible.

No idea where you got that number but Dometic 15k units have a compressor startup draw of about 13 amps and a fan startup of about 3 amps.

Dark Sky 07-10-2019 06:36 AM

Well this thread is disappointing. We got back from some museums in DC last night to a very warm bus. The front room unit is blowing warm. I've checked all fuses and confirmed good power to both sides of the rig, and to the thermostat. I'm waiting for a call back from a mobile repair company this morning.
My ac's are Dometic. If it comes to a replacement I guess I should ask if they have any 15 year old ones available.......

bruceisla 07-10-2019 07:34 AM

The average life span of an A/C unit (RVs and homes) is 9 years ... some more and some less depending on climate and use. Most require some repair during that period (caps, fan motors, etc.)

leadman 07-11-2019 06:48 AM

bruceisla, got that figure from watching the guy from Soft Start with a specially designed meter to capture the starting load figures for The Wynns on YouTube. A normal digital meter is too slow to capture the total draw.
I use and old analog meter and it reads the correct draw. Even my Power Saver Coleman draws around 35 to 40 amps. Don't have the figures in front of me. they are 2K miles away right now.
Just looked at the Dometic site and the 13,500 btu Brisk Air II draws 1670w running. This is about 14 amps. My 13,500 btu Coleman draws 7 amps running.

Mudfrog 07-11-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 4836881)
Dometic has had issues with their units for many years. When I bought my 2014 Dutch Star, there was a second one on the lot that another forum member purchased. Both Dometic units on that coach were bad from day one. In 2014, they had a rash of poorly soldered circuit boards. They just DON'T build a quality unit. My new 2019 Dutch Star showed up at the dealer with a bad Dometic unit, the heat pump didn't work.

The problem.....there is really no competition in the RV A/C market, so Dometic just limps along making crap A/C units and finds it cheaper to replace those under warranty, that are bad, than to actually make a better product, as they will provide ZERO help outside the warranty. It's a shame that a company does business this way.

My Dad n Law's 2015 trailer is on its 3rd Dometic rooftop unit. The serviceman at the RV dealership he bought from told him the problem was keeping them busy.

bruceisla 07-11-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadman (Post 4859040)
bruceisla, got that figure from watching the guy from Soft Start with a specially designed meter to capture the starting load figures for The Wynns on YouTube. A normal digital meter is too slow to capture the total draw.
I use and old analog meter and it reads the correct draw. Even my Power Saver Coleman draws around 35 to 40 amps. Don't have the figures in front of me. they are 2K miles away right now.
Just looked at the Dometic site and the 13,500 btu Brisk Air II draws 1670w running. This is about 14 amps. My 13,500 btu Coleman draws 7 amps running.

No idea which Coleman you have but the latest 13.5K Coleman Mach 3 draws 15 amps running. Pretty much the same as a Dometic. The Atwood does a bit better at 13.5 amps.

leadman 07-12-2019 06:33 AM

I have the Power Saver model. My coach is a 30 amp with 2 a/c units and came with the PS units. A little more money when I had to replace the front unit but well worth it.
There is a previous post somewhere here where the OP had 2 Dometic units installed on a similar coach as mine and his generator would not run. them The shop finally changed them out. Guess this is why the Dometic cost less.

Solo_RV_Guy 07-12-2019 01:17 PM

Dont know what the Coleman Mach from 2005 draws, but it draws more when the fan motor locks up... :(

I've got a new OEM motor and start cap on the way... First "major" repair for me in the 5 years I've had the Four Winds 23a.

RELHUB 07-12-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadman (Post 4859040)

I am thinking about replacement units and I like Coleman MACH V
I was just on the Coleman web site. They don't show any units at 7 AMPS
I see 13 and more.

I have TWO dometic units and they each use 15 AMPS.
Our MH is 6 years old already so a guess I should be happy our units are still going strong. The Front unit runs ..... 24 hours a day 7 days a week from MAY until OCTOBER.

I have our coach leveled and plugged in all season long
We use our MH almost every weekend.

1320Fastback 07-12-2019 11:39 PM

When the Dometic on our 2015 trailer started having issued I didn't even consider fixing it. Simply threw it off the roof and put on a AtWood which is far superior in every way.

Unfortunately now Dometic owns the AtWood brand but as far as I know they haven't let their engineers touch it.

Shawn6596 07-13-2019 04:43 PM

RV parts are junk Here is my next unit in my DP. And yes My next refer will be residential.

https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/pro...BoCwcoQAvD_BwE

leadman 07-14-2019 06:41 AM

RELHUB look at the Coleman 63152. This is a POWER SAVER model and listed at 9.9 amps running. We usually run the fan on low and it draws 7 amps with ambient temperatures are 80 degrees. At over 100 degrees it will draw 8 to 9 amps. Call Airexcel and talk with them, they make the Coleman units.

Shawn6596, is that 12,500 btu unit going to provide enough cooling for your DP? My 35' gasser came with 2 11,500 btu units. When the front one failed I replaced it with a 13,500 btu unit.