iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Quality of roof top air conditioners (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/quality-of-roof-top-air-conditioners-449825.html)

spyderRV 09-12-2019 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleetwood13 (Post 4876829)
Okay thanks all. Ivylog what do you mean the blower is dragging? Sorry I don't know. I assume it is in the enclosure to the right of the motor. Do you mean it is getting hung up on the enclosure?

I replaced both of my fan motors not because they failed but the bearings were worn and they made a bunch of racket. I payed less than $100 bucks for each of them including shipping and the run cap. Made by Fasco, D1092A I think.

Jeeper64060 09-12-2019 04:47 PM

Thermistors operate on very low voltage - it's very important to have a good connection. I'd look at where it connects to your control board.

Tajfish 09-12-2019 09:37 PM

I have checked connection to the controller in the ceiling. It all seems to be tight connections. May have to call Dometic back and see what they have to say. Just hit me, I might switch control boxes and see what happens. ??

HappyCampr4 09-13-2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magredvet (Post 4836909)
+1.................then there is that whole "China " thing....:D
Having replaced two out of three of my original Dometics in 3 years, I am resigned to the fact that I will be shelling out for another one soon.
Trouble is you can't replace a Penguin II with anything else, unless you change the plenum, which is more work than I care to undertake.
I also have a Dometic outside cooler, which is two years old, already the digital readout is gone, and I'm sure it's reaching the end of it's life, now that the warranty is up. :rolleyes:

I'm probably going to be replacing my A/C units on my '94 Georgie Boy in the near future. You say changing the plenum is a lot of trouble. Does this apply to the older Penguin units as well or just the newer Penguin II's?

Stinger1968 09-15-2019 07:54 PM

How did you manage to lift those 135# units up to the roof??

theaaronbush 09-15-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger1968 (Post 4957875)
How did you manage to lift those 135# units up to the roof??

I used a tractor with a front loader

HappyCampr4 09-19-2019 06:30 AM

I want to replace my front roof A/C with a Coleman Mack Air 15K unit. Currently it has the original Dometic Penguin. It's a '94 Georgie Boy Cruise Air, 34' on a Spartan chassis. I know I will need the inside ceiling unit and wall mount thermostat. Can anyone tell me if the through-the-roof frame size is the same? Also, will the Coleman thermostat be compatible with with the existing gas furnace? How many wires does the Coleman thermostat require?

hypoxia 09-19-2019 07:19 AM

I've had campers with A/C units for 35 years and have not had one fail that I was unable to easily repair yet. If you're replacing them something else is going on as has been suggested by other posters.

I would go to great lengths to avoid the newer R410 refrigerant units.

Radiators have coolant, A/C units have refrigerant.:facepalm: