iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   No tow vehicle safety cables (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/no-tow-vehicle-safety-cables-450382.html)

philnail 06-30-2019 05:15 AM

No tow vehicle safety cables

1 Attachment(s)
I was reading a post lately where someone had used bungee cords as safety cables between the coach and tow vehicle.

I am next to a guy from Florida that has no safety cables at all and no cord for the lights on the vehicle

At least the guy who was using bungee cords probably thought it the tow vehicle can disconnected the bungee cords would stretch out and then bounce the tow car back to the coach. :bang head

Attachment 251636

tmw188 06-30-2019 05:47 AM

No tow vehicle safety cables

Looks like hes in a parking lot. Maybe hes worried someone would steal them. He probably took them off for the night.

CLIFFTALL 06-30-2019 05:50 AM

I took my umbilical cord off at night. They were upwards of $100 and would force me off the road till replaced.

Bigd9 06-30-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philnail (Post 4842503)
I was reading a post lately where someone had used bungee cords as safety cables between the coach and tow vehicle.

I am next to a guy from Florida that has no safety cables at all and no cord for the lights on the vehicle

At least the guy who was using bungee cords probably thought it the tow vehicle can disconnected the bungee cords would stretch out and then bounce the tow car back to the coach. :bang head

Attachment 251636

Boy oh boy, it takes all kinds of people in this world!:banghead:

Tim Fox 06-30-2019 06:10 AM

Its incredible what people will do, or in this case not do.

Bigd9 06-30-2019 07:13 AM

Kind of make one wonder about the rest of their life, and what they do or don't do. Are they "forgetting" the cables and umbilical cord, or was this an intentional act? Why not use them? Cost? I mean it is not like they didn't know about the need both legally and safety wise to use proper equipment, right? Maybe it is as Clifftall indicated, and they took them off to keep subhumans from stealing them?

Life is full of questions without answers, and humans are such a interesting species.:blink:

harris155 06-30-2019 07:23 AM

Blue Ox even recommends safety cable from base plate to the vehicle frame.

Gary.Jones 06-30-2019 08:39 AM

Well, to each, his or her own, but the LAST thing that I am worried about when I travel is some scoundrel stealing my safety cables to the toad. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that this guy simply forgot them initially or never had them and is none the wiser. Five years + now and no one has found my cables irresistible.

I personally dont understand why anyone would take the safety cables off their rig... mine are on there all the time, and if you dont have a kind of tow bar that lets you do that, then buy another brand of tow bar.

and the guy pictured above, is missing something much more important than any of what we are discussing, and that is a toad braking system (I assume since it wasnt mentioned). Not only is his toad free to careen across the median strip, but it will do it a full throttle since there is no braking system to stop it.... Serious stupidity !!!

My tow bar has something that I would think that would be mandatory for every tow bar manufacturer to have and I am amazed that any bar is made that doesn't have this little addition.... there is a stainless steel rod/bar that is welded to the side of the main section of the tow bar, and that steel rod is there to hold the coiled electrical cable that runs back to the toad.... so, when you disconnect the toad, you simply thread the coiled electrical cable onto the bar that is there to store it, hold it into position with a snap fastener, and forget it.... could not be easier or more convenient.... no rummaging around for cables and wires in the basement or toad to connect the toad.... they are right there all the time (Demco Excali-bar is the bar and the cable).

And "There is no cure for stupid", as is recognized by the well worn phrase.....

Gary

Airboss68 06-30-2019 08:46 AM

It's a nice looking RV and Toad, I doubt they are foregoing cables to save a few bucks.

Many reasons already mentioned why the cables might not be there while parked. Add to them maybe they just got back from or were just getting ready to go shopping or sightseeing and took a break before completing the hookup or the disconnect.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt until I saw them going down the highway like that.

As for the bungee guy my guess would be his purpose was to make it look like he had safety cables in case a cop cruised by.

brobox 06-30-2019 09:28 AM

At the many thousands of stops we have made, some not in the best neighborhoods, the last thing I have worried about is any of my tow equipment. I would worry more about the outside TV than dirty umbilical cords and tow cables. But that is just me.

LWBAZ 06-30-2019 10:06 AM

On the plus side, his tow bar is nice & level, which puts him ahead of many I've seen.

And the absence of safety cables, electrical cord, breakaway cable, etc. does give the setup a nice clean look. :2funny:

Gary.Jones 06-30-2019 10:09 AM

Still laughing Larry

Gary

Mr_D 06-30-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary.Jones (Post 4842703)
Well, to each, his or her own, but the LAST thing that I am worried about when I travel is some scoundrel stealing my safety cables to the toad. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that this guy simply forgot them initially or never had them and is none the wiser. Five years + now and no one has found my cables irresistible.

I personally dont understand why anyone would take the safety cables off their rig... mine are on there all the time, and if you dont have a kind of tow bar that lets you do that, then buy another brand of tow bar.

and the guy pictured above, is missing something much more important than any of what we are discussing, and that is a toad braking system (I assume since it wasnt mentioned). Not only is his toad free to careen across the median strip, but it will do it a full throttle since there is no braking system to stop it.... Serious stupidity !!!

My tow bar has something that I would think that would be mandatory for every tow bar manufacturer to have and I am amazed that any bar is made that doesn't have this little addition.... there is a stainless steel rod/bar that is welded to the side of the main section of the tow bar, and that steel rod is there to hold the coiled electrical cable that runs back to the toad.... so, when you disconnect the toad, you simply thread the coiled electrical cable onto the bar that is there to store it, hold it into position with a snap fastener, and forget it.... could not be easier or more convenient.... no rummaging around for cables and wires in the basement or toad to connect the toad.... they are right there all the time (Demco Excali-bar is the bar and the cable).

And "There is no cure for stupid", as is recognized by the well worn phrase.....

Gary

Or simply buy a towbar that the cables run through dedicated channels like my RoadMaster Nighthawk.

LWBAZ 06-30-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary.Jones (Post 4842841)
Still laughing Larry

Gary, I'm thinking you should try it. You're already getting compliments on your paint job at the truck stops and rest areas - just think how much more impressed they'll be with such an elegant towing setup!

And what could possibly go wrong...?