iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f295/)
-   -   Into Canada (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f295/into-canada-451848.html)

dtgt 07-09-2019 04:55 PM

Into Canada

We are crossing border at Roosville MT. Garmin says to take Hwy 93, then Hwy 3, then Hwy 22 to Calgary. We are going to Banff. Would like to take Hwy 93/95, then Hwy 93 thru Kootenay Park to Canada 1. Pulling 38' 5th wheel. Has anyone taken this route? Not sure why garmin is pointing that way.

Winterbagoal 07-09-2019 06:42 PM

We've taken 93 from Roosville to Radium Hot Springs and then through Kootenay to Banff in a Roadtrek class B van. It wasn't that bad through the pass, iirc, 4 years ago in August. I think we passed a couple of fivers going through there in both directions. No one seemed to be struggling.

Google maps shows both routes, too.

Sue46 07-09-2019 09:50 PM

We went tht way 6 weeks ago. Good road and no problems finding pulloffs or campgrounds for the night.

We stayed mostly in Provincial Parks, make sure you stop at th first bank and get money including Loonies and Toonies. The Provincial Parks charge the same whether US dollars or CA dollars. No credit cards.

twogypsies 07-09-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winterbagoal (Post 4857106)
We've taken 93 from Roosville to Radium Hot Springs and then through Kootenay to Banff in a Roadtrek class B van. It wasn't that bad through the pass, iirc, 4 years ago in August. I think we passed a couple of fivers going through there in both directions. No one seemed to be struggling.

Google maps shows both routes, too.

We've done it in a 40' motorhome. No issues. We used a paper map to guide us! :)

Playinthru 07-10-2019 09:02 AM

We are in Banff now and are planning to take that route To W Glacier in 9 days. If you come up before then please report back. It really looks wonderful. Have fun!

Winterbagoal 07-10-2019 10:22 PM

Forgot to mention wildlife on the roads. You're in the mountains. There is some, ranging from chipmunks and squirrels to adult moose. In Radium HS the big horn sheep roam through the town freely, so watch it through there. :cool:

Sky_Boss 07-10-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue46 (Post 4857385)
We stayed mostly in Provincial Parks, make sure you stop at th first bank and get money including Loonies and Toonies. The Provincial Parks charge the same whether US dollars or CA dollars. No credit cards.

I don't want to twist this too far off topic but...

We will be taking some Canadian toll roads later this summer. Will that also require CA money or will they take credit cards? Any other things that might be dealt with properly with CA money?

Winterbagoal 07-11-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky_Boss (Post 4858843)
I don't want to twist this too far off topic but...

We will be taking some Canadian toll roads later this summer. Will that also require CA money or will they take credit cards? Any other things that might be dealt with properly with CA money?

Bring some C$ cash with you. I don't think they do forex exchange at the few that collect tolls. You'd be paying with US$ at par with C$ (aka ripped off).

Most of our toll roads (Hwy 407 in Ontario) are done by photographed license plates with follow up mailed billing. Out of province license plates/tags used to be free when it first started up, but Ontario has created some reciprocal vehicle license info exchange agreements with some US states to let them bill US travelers. I'm not sure which ones. Can't think of too many other places that actually have toll booths, except at border crossings. The main highway into Nova Scotia towards Halifax does/did have toll booths and collects cash. The Confederation bridge from/to PEI collects cash, but only when you use it to leave the province.

Perhaps others can elaborate.

Rubirose 07-11-2019 07:16 AM

No toll roads in Alberta and the only toll roads in BC that I know off are in the lower mainland area, Vancouver, Surrey area.

reubenray 07-11-2019 07:41 AM

Is the route from Port Huron to Niagara Falls a toll road?

Winterbagoal 07-11-2019 07:55 AM

No. If you take 402 > 401 > 403 > QEW > Niagara Falls.

I should add that the junction of the 403/QEW Toronto/Niagara in Burlington can be confusing. Get your GPS maps updated and use your GPS plus visual overhead signage, and you should be OK. It's the only spot on that route that can be a problem without good navigation aids. Having a co-pilot will help.:cool:

rlott2k 08-16-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubirose (Post 4859074)
No toll roads in Alberta and the only toll roads in BC that I know off are in the lower mainland area, Vancouver, Surrey area.

No tolls in BC.