iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   GPS on the Smart Phone (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/gps-on-the-smart-phone-454036.html)

wagonmaster2 07-23-2019 10:12 PM

GPS on the Smart Phone

I keep reading about how the GPH on their cell phone is able to locate the phone or the person with the phone, maybe a lost individual.
How or where does this GPH get on the phone, or installed on it?
My phone has lots of apps that aren't installed yet but haven't seen anything on a GPH.
Any help?

twinboat 07-24-2019 02:37 AM

Look for GPS, Global Position System, not GPM apps.

I don't use one but some friends do. They can see where their spouse is at any time.

Dr. Q 07-24-2019 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 (Post 4878876)
I keep reading about how the GPH on their cell phone is able to locate the phone or the person with the phone, maybe a lost individual.
How or where does this GPH get on the phone, or installed on it?
My phone has lots of apps that aren't installed yet but haven't seen anything on a GPH.
Any help?

You don't say which phone you have, but if it's an iPhone, there is an app that is part of the iOS, called "Find iPhone". In the phone settings, there is a place to turn on this feature, which is probably on by default. This app is tied to your AppleID, so if you are sharing an ID with your spouse, both of your phones, ipads and Airpods will show up on that screen.

The app, on the iPhone, looks like a small green radar screen.

For a real life example.... My Grandson had his iPhone stolen, in Chicago, at a basketball tournament he was playing in. Someone got into the locker room and stole it. My Son used the "Find iPhone" app to find the phone. He isolated it down to a specific house on the southside of Chicago. The Chicago police refused to go get it... So, my Son used the app to wipe the phone clean and then disabled it. At that point, the phone was completely worthless and whomever stole it was not able to reactivate the phone. Case closed!

wagonmaster2 07-24-2019 12:16 PM

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8, and I'm not sure where I came up GPH instead of GPS. Unless it was because I typed it late at night after getting back from a 200 mile where we spent almost an hour in the doctor's office getting the final wrappings off my wife's arm where the hardware was removed the was used to set her broken arm from several months ago.
Appreciate the responses giving me some idea what to look for on my phone. Love the tale about disabling the stolen phone. Didn't know that was possible. Sounds about right for some of these police stations, hope someone sends that to the police commissioner.

69Stang 07-24-2019 12:27 PM

The S8 has "Find My device" installed. At least I think it came that way. I don't remember installing it at anytime. It does require some setup.

69Stang 07-24-2019 12:30 PM

These apps will let you track someone else.

1. Spyzie

2. Family Locator – GPS Tracker

3. FamiSafe

4. Track Location & Car

5. Find My Friends

wagonmaster2 07-24-2019 01:28 PM

Man, these phones do so much it's almost scary. Next they'll probably have them where you just get in your car, set you destination, then lean back and take a nap till your arrival.

Sbrownstein 07-24-2019 01:32 PM

Life360! Works on both Android and iOS phones together. Free. Shows all phones on a map and shows movement.

Been using it for years.

trackvw 07-24-2019 01:34 PM

Anyone use a phone as a tracker for a trailer etc ?

or even smaller to track a large UPS shipment or shipped pallet ?

rk911 07-24-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 (Post 4879688)
Man, these phones do so much it's almost scary. Next they'll probably have them where you just get in your car, set you destination, then lean back and take a nap till your arrival.

I hope not!

wagonmaster2 07-24-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Stang (Post 4879643)
The S8 has "Find My device" installed. At least I think it came that way. I don't remember installing it at anytime. It does require some setup.

Any suggestion on how I get to or find "
Find My Device"? This Smart Phone definitely isn't making me any smarter.

69Stang 07-25-2019 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 (Post 4880234)
Any suggestion on how I get to or find "
Find My Device"? This Smart Phone definitely isn't making me any smarter.

Search for "Google Find My Device" on the Google app store. Once you find the app on the store it will say "install" or "uninstall". If it's installed you will have to go to the app drawer (app symbol with 9 dots, or swipe up from bottom of screen) and from there you can search by scrolling through the apps or typing the name into the search bar.

DegoRed 07-25-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sbrownstein (Post 4879696)
Life360! Works on both Android and iOS phones together. Free. Shows all phones on a map and shows movement.

Been using it for years.

This is what we use as well, especially good for keeping track of kids, most other parents I know use this as well.

dsurette 07-25-2019 10:29 AM

If you have a Google account, look up your timeline. Mine shows everywhere I've been since 2013.