iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   Dish Signal Strength (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/dish-signal-strength-454329.html)

chuckbear 07-26-2019 07:47 AM

Dish Signal Strength

Just had Dish installed including a Hopper 3. The Sat signal strength shows about 50%. With DirecTV the signal strength was 99 to 100%. Clear sky view. So for Dish subscribers, is this about normal or do I have an issue with the dish adjustment? Thanks. Chuck

twinboat 07-26-2019 07:52 AM

I think that's normal with Dish. My 129 sat signal strenght is 41.

Mr_D 07-26-2019 07:53 AM

Are you able to watch TV through Dish? If so why worry about it?
I also use a Hopper 3 and two wireless Joeys. Have never bothered to check signal strength.

MnP 07-26-2019 12:56 PM

Iíve got a Hopper 3 and a wireless Joey on Traveler dish in our rig. My signal strength also runs in the 50ís . If you can hold a signal and see a picture, you are good to go.

chuckbear 07-26-2019 01:31 PM

I can watch TV but a low sat signal, if not correct will cause me to lose the picture sooner if it gets a little cloudy or rains. So I want to be sure everything is working properly. Chuck

twinboat 07-26-2019 01:48 PM

Just checked on Dish website, they say any signal over 40 is fine.

emiddleb 07-26-2019 05:01 PM

Yeah, it's just the way the two services calculate their signal strength numbers. At my old S&B my DirecTV was always in the 90s, at the new S&B with Dish I only see low 60s. In the RV with a Dish Pathway X2 it's usually in the low 50s at best, often in the 40s. As others have said, as long as you've got picture, all is good.

reubenray 07-27-2019 04:35 AM

I will be playing around with my tripod setup for my motorhome next week. This will be the first time I have setup my tripod with Dish instead of Directv. I will be doing this at my S&B which has a wide open sky. Are there any particular channels on each satellite to use for checking the signal strength?

vsheetz 07-27-2019 04:55 AM

One cant compare signal strength Dish vs. Direct vs. another. The methodology or scales differ.

That said, with Dish, 50 is good.

egwilly 07-28-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reubenray (Post 4883453)
I will be playing around with my tripod setup for my motorhome next week. This will be the first time I have setup my tripod with Dish instead of Directv. I will be doing this at my S&B which has a wide open sky. Are there any particular channels on each satellite to use for checking the signal strength?

You will be setting it up with the Dish setting screen that shows signal strength and has a toner to listen to, and run a test switch.

No channels view-able until you lock on to the satellites. Use your phone app to get the approximate location depending on where you are.

I found dish harder to aim than DTV the first couple times I set it up. This is because DTV requires only one lock to get signal. Dish has three that need to lock on. Aim for 119 and the rest will come in.

TechWriter 07-28-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reubenray (Post 4883453)

Do you have a signal strength meter?

reubenray 07-29-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechWriter (Post 4885902)
Do you have a signal strength meter?

I have the cheap version. I checked my setup and I was able to get a picture and each satellite had signal strengths from the mid teens to the mid 30's. I will get my wife to help with us using walkie talkies to tweak it. The reason I asked what channel is when I changed to another satellite the channel it was on did not have anything. I changed to another channel and I got a signal. I am not concerned about getting the local channels.

I am having trouble seeing the markings for the settings of the skew and elevation. I am using Dishpointer for these settings.

Sorry about the hijack of this thread!

reubenray 07-29-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reubenray (Post 4886234)
I have the cheap version. I checked my setup and I was able to get a picture and each satellite had signal strengths from the mid teens to the mid 30's. I will get my wife to help with us using walkie talkies to tweak it. The reason I asked what channel is when I changed to another satellite the channel it was on did not have anything. I changed to another channel and I got a signal. I am not concerned about getting the local channels.

I am having trouble seeing the markings for the settings of the skew and elevation. I am using Dishpointer for these settings.

Sorry about the hijack of this thread!

My terminology was wrong when I said channel. I meant transponder.

I got my wife to help me and my signal strengths went from the mid 30's to the mid 50's just by pushing the dish up or down or sideways. All I wanted to do this time was to check to make all three of the LNB's were OK and they are.

Thanks!!

kvm1970 07-29-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reubenray (Post 4886504)
My terminology was wrong when I said channel. I meant transponder.

I got my wife to help me and my signal strengths went from the mid 30's to the mid 50's just by pushing the dish up or down or sideways. All I wanted to do this time was to check to make all three of the LNB's were OK and they are.

Thanks!!

I usually put the transponder on 21 . Found this be the best and yes you will have to play around with the dish to get the right signal