iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Leak in ceiling (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/leak-in-ceiling-457191.html)

Samclaughlin 08-15-2019 05:24 PM

Leak in ceiling

I was driving my 2006 monaco camelot for the first time in about 2 years today. When i turned a curve water came pouring down on my from under the overhead cabinets. It happened several times when braking too. I was drenched...there have been no signs of leaking anywhere. My roof and seals all look fine and no water staining anywhere inside. Any idea where is it coming from and how do i stop it?

Jim_HiTek 08-15-2019 06:04 PM

Check the running lights over the front windows. They have openings right into the overhead cabinets. I'd make sure that the end cap seam is sealed with 4" wide Eternabond tape too. That seam can flex open if you're parked a certain way and when it closes back up, it's hard to tell.

ftodaro 08-15-2019 06:38 PM

I had the same problem a few years ago. I had a metal tray under the TV mounted on the ceiling, up front. I checked to see if running marker lights were sealed and the were. I eliminated the windshield as it was lower than this pan where the water accumulated.

In my case there was a cable junction where the cable from the Dish on top of the roof passed through the fiberglass roof. It was this location that the sealant failed and was leaking.

I would see if there is a way to take a peek inside that area to see the location and path of any water. If not then i would get up on the roof and do a detailed inspection.

Wayne M 08-15-2019 07:30 PM

Check the air conditioner seals. Make sure there are no gaps between the seal and the roof, or cracks.

Outbound 08-15-2019 07:40 PM

Does your MH have a slide, if so was it out when it rained, water will set on slide and when pulled in will leak when brakes are applied.

Samclaughlin 08-16-2019 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek (Post 4912202)
Check the running lights over the front windows. They have openings right into the overhead cabinets. I'd make sure that the end cap seam is sealed with 4" wide Eternabond tape too. That seam can flex open if you're parked a certain way and when it closes back up, it's hard to tell.

Thank you. All my seals look good but will double check this.

Samclaughlin 08-16-2019 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outbound (Post 4912338)
Does your MH have a slide, if so was it out when it rained, water will set on slide and when pulled in will leak when brakes are applied.

Yes, but the water isnt coming that way its over the steering wheel

Cloud Dancer 08-16-2019 09:26 AM

I would lift the front air conditioner OFF and replace the seal/gasket. It's a good way of starting the process of elimination.

MSHappyCampers 08-16-2019 11:19 AM

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang! :dance:

Others have covered all the suggestions I could think of. Just noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Hope you find that leak!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

Wayne M 08-17-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samclaughlin (Post 4912726)
Yes, but the water isnt coming that way its over the steering wheel

All the time, every time it rains?

I know you know that water seeks its own level. A leak at the back of the MH could show up anywhere in the coach, depends on the ever so slight lean of the coach.

Bahamaniac 08-17-2019 03:05 PM

With that much water I would start with the front cap.

BUB1988 08-17-2019 05:03 PM

Depending on what type on roof antenna you have I would check that. I had a similar thing happen, but the water poured out of the speaker above the drivers seat. I would also check the corner areas around the CAPS and the roof. I had a leak several years ago and it was a tiny crack in the caulking where all the CAPS and roof came together. Large amounts of water came from the side and front cabinets.

Kurt Averill 08-17-2019 10:43 PM

I had a leak in the same area - turned out to be one of the mounting screws / tabs that hold the satellite antennae.

Samclaughlin 08-18-2019 01:10 AM

Only when driving and i out on the brakes....no other time...strange