iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Raising A Slide (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/raising-a-slide-457450.html)

fry5family 08-17-2019 02:40 PM

Raising A Slide

We have a 2005 Monaco Knight 38PDQ. The left (engine) side of our front road side slide drags and leaves wood shavings on the carpet.

I see a plate on the end of the slide gear rack with 2 jack screws and 2 nuts that lock the plate to the slide wall.

Can I use a floor jack to take the load off the jack screws, loosen those locking nuts, and jack that end of the slide room up 1/4"? Then lock it back down?

Mike and Deb Fry
2005 Monaco Knight 38PDQ and American Car Dolly

jacwjames 08-17-2019 04:26 PM

You may check under the slide itself, on mine there is a roller with an adjusting screw that you can use to raise up the slide. I had to this as mine was dragging on the tile.

rgl 08-17-2019 04:27 PM

You should search this Monaco owners forum for wood chips or wood shaving on bed slide. Many have documented corrections for this common problem

spdracr39 08-17-2019 04:40 PM

Just raising the slide may resolve the symptom but not the problem. It can also have unintended consequences. Look at it in depth and try to determined what caused it to drag.

l1v3fr33ord1 08-17-2019 05:34 PM

Mike-

Look for rot on the bottom edges of the slides. It's a common problem for Monaco/HR coaches of our era.

windsorbill 08-17-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fry5family (Post 4914677)
We have a 2005 Monaco Knight 38PDQ. The left (engine) side of our front road side slide drags and leaves wood shavings on the carpet.

I see a plate on the end of the slide gear rack with 2 jack screws and 2 nuts that lock the plate to the slide wall.

Can I use a floor jack to take the load off the jack screws, loosen those locking nuts, and jack that end of the slide room up 1/4"? Then lock it back down?

Mike and Deb Fry

Specifically which slide are you talking about? Your coach has 4 slides. You mention 'front road slide'. Many coaches of that era are flush floor slides on that particular slide with no rollers-basically slide on plastic plates. If that is your situation, I'd carefully look at the under side of the slide and see if there is any water damage (as Mark mentioned above). Going the 'guardian plate' route might be a good alternative. (google 'guardian plate by Tallin').

If it's not a flush floor slide, they you will have rollers of some sort. But you'll need to investigate why the slide has dropped down to the point of dragging. Again Guardian Plates might be an answer, especially if you have any rot damage.

fry5family 08-18-2019 05:06 AM

It is the flush floor slide

Thank you all. There is some rot of the outermost layer of plywood. I'll have to sand this and dress the edge with a Guardian or one of those plastic skis.

Mike and Deb

windsorbill 08-18-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fry5family (Post 4915309)
Thank you all. There is some rot of the outermost layer of plywood. I'll have to sand this and dress the edge with a Guardian or one of those plastic skis.

Mike and Deb

That's likely your problem. Monaco built a great coach, but the floors of the slides were definitely lacking. Talin has come up with a good fix. There are several youTube videos on it.