iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Full-Timers (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/)
-   -   Sewage hatch (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/sewage-hatch-457853.html)

Cowboytyler 08-19-2019 10:41 PM

Sewage hatch

I have a motorhome and a full timer, I have my sewage hose through the hatch on there floor of the compartment. It is a 5" hole with a 3-1/2" hose. Is there a hatch cover that a hose can be run through of the sewage line goes through which will have the space between the hose and the hatch closed to stop mice and bugs room to come through? If so where can I get it?

twogypsies 08-19-2019 11:15 PM

At WalMart or a RV store, get one of those rubber donuts that are meant to put in the sewer outside.

Slit the donut and fit it around your hose. Then get some steel wool and tuck it in the small opening that it will leave at the cut.

Skip426 08-19-2019 11:19 PM

:welcome:

I hadn't seen one so I made my own , 1/2" plywood , two piece clam shell , held in place with zip lock filled with sand.

BTW; No mice where I snowbird ... they're afraid of the tarantulas. :whistling:

NLOVNIT 08-19-2019 11:28 PM

I've seen this advertised in the back of FMCA Magazine:
RV Accessory, Motorhome Pest and Insect Control - RV-Critter Guard

Don't know if it works but looks like it would.

Lori-

twogypsies 08-19-2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLOVNIT (Post 4918560)
I've seen this advertised in the back of FMCA Magazine:
RV Accessory, Motorhome Pest and Insect Control - RV-Critter Guard

Don't know if it works but looks like it would.

Lori-

That's what it would look like if you bought a cheap rubber donut as explained in my post above.

lynch763 08-20-2019 07:03 AM

I go with the steel wool around the sewer hose - I just cram it in the gaps.

MSHappyCampers 08-20-2019 10:17 AM

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang! :dance:

Others have answered your question but wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

KiteSquid 08-20-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynch763 (Post 4918746)
I go with the steel wool around the sewer hose - I just cram it in the gaps.

Same for me but I make sure it is Stainless Steel Wool and I use it for all my "hotel servieces" conections. Around the sewer and fresh water hoses and the power cord.

I found it a at $1 type store in the kitchen section sold as pot scurbbers. there were two in the package and they cost 50 cents each. I use one at the power cord, one at the fresh water hose and it took three to go around the sewer hose.

Renegade RV 08-20-2019 11:26 AM

I use memory foam from the piece we had to trim off our bed topper. It compresses very well and then expands to fill the gaps. I use it in the access hatches for my potable water line and shore power cord as well.

firedoc 08-20-2019 12:20 PM

Google “sewer sock”! That is what we use. Works great.

chindog 08-20-2019 06:34 PM

I went really low tech and got an old towel from a thrift store. I just wrap that around the space around the sewer hose. If it gets contaminated, I wash it out in my windshield cleaning bucket.

Cowboytyler 08-21-2019 04:26 PM

Sewage hatch

Thanks you all for the suggestions. I am using the towel solution but did not think of the rubber boot or steel wool. I’m going to try those. I am also try to manufacture one that will screw in with connections but will use the suggestion until I can get a fabricated one. If I get one to work I’ll let you all know and send you all a picture. Thanks again!!

spdracr39 08-21-2019 04:58 PM

My wet bay is sealed off pretty well. I don't see any way critters could have access to the coach from there even if they did climb the sewer line.