iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Battery dead after flat tow (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/battery-dead-after-flat-tow-457863.html)

Superrv 08-20-2019 05:34 AM

Battery dead after flat tow
 
Can anyone help me figure out what happened. I went to a shop to have everything set up. I make the hour drive home flat towing my toad. Once I got home I parked it, removed everything and when I went to restart my coach battery was 100% dead. Any thoughts on what’s going on?

twinboat 08-20-2019 05:44 AM

Had it been at the shop long ?

Was it running when you got there ?

Did you check for charging voltage on your trip home ?

Did they add a charge line to the toad ?

Call them and see if they jump started it. It may have nothing to do with the toad.

l1v3fr33ord1 08-20-2019 05:46 AM

Superrv-

It could be the toad has nothing to do with the problem.

Please confirm that by "coach battery" you mean the chassis battery, not the house batteries.

The alternator should charge the chassis battery when the engine is running. Does it?

A suggestion: Add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

Superrv 08-20-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 4918663)
Had it been at the shop long ?

Was it running when you got there ?

Did you check for charging voltage on your trip home ?

Did they add a charge line to the toad ?

Call them and see if they jump started it. It may have nothing to do with the toad.

Yes there is a charge line to the toad. I did not check charging voltage on the way home.

Bigd9 08-20-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superrv (Post 4918656)
Can anyone help me figure out what happened. I went to a shop to have everything set up. I make the hour drive home flat towing my toad. Once I got home I parked it, removed everything and when I went to restart my coach battery was 100% dead (The Coach Battery?, What do you mean 100% dead? No sound at all?) Do you have a voltmeter? . Any thoughts on what’s going on?

Just based on your questions/comments, and assuming you are referring to the coach starting battery, , like others have said it probably does not have anything to do with the toad hookups. To me it sounds like a corroded/loose/wire missing problem on the coach starting batteries.

Please let us know what coach you have, year, make model and how old the batteries are. Can you post a picture?

Superrv 08-20-2019 07:26 PM

Just checked the battery which read 8.6 V Isn’t it supposed to be around 14.6-15?.

What do you guys think. I start my coach with the battery boost, so I’m not stranded but want it fixed. Any help is appreciated.

Bigd9 08-20-2019 07:43 PM

How many starting batteries does the coach have? One or two?

Yes, If measured right at the battery post and the engine was not running, 8.6 volts is a dead battery. When the engine is running, what is the voltage? How old is/are the batteries?

Superrv 08-20-2019 07:49 PM

Coach is a month old. Literally just bought it, had a second ac installed, upgraded to 50 amp, steering stabilizer, and rear track bar installed. Maybe someone left the Acc on and drained it during this. Weird thing was I drove 45 minutes home. Once I got home. I parked and it wouldn’t start an hour later.
By the way coach batteries are 100% full. Car cranks right up with BAT/boost button. Coach did sit for 3 weeks before taking it to the shop

Skip Y 08-22-2019 10:27 AM

Didn't state what the toad is, but there have been dead battery issues on toads with keyless ignitions. Apparently there are circuits energized on these systems.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
WIT 47083, FMCA F263635

Mr_D 08-22-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Y (Post 4921918)
Didn't state what the toad is, but there have been dead battery issues on toads with keyless ignitions. Apparently there are circuits energized on these systems.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
WIT 47083, FMCA F263635

OP stated that the coach was dead, not the towed.

Skip Y 08-22-2019 11:23 AM

Thx, Mr D, brain was in another gear.
Had a somewhat similar situation, coach started one day just fine - next day voltage <9. Checked each battery and both the same, batteries 7 years old at the time, so replacing them solved problem.

Skip Y
2010 journey 40TD
WIT 47083, FMCA F263635

Podivin 08-22-2019 11:32 AM

Start the engine and put a meter on the coach battery to verify the alternator is charging - it should read well over 13 volts with the engine running. If no then faulty alternator, if yes then like bad battery.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.