iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   New Radio with Apple CarPlay Install (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/new-radio-with-apple-carplay-install-457964.html)

dverstra 08-20-2019 06:19 PM

New Radio with Apple CarPlay Install

2 Attachment(s)
I've been wanting to update the radio since I purchased this Motorhome. I wanted one with Apple CarPlay since it is easily navigated by my Copilot. It is an Alpine iLX-F309 (single din). The reason I went with this particular radio was the adjustable angle and depth mounting system. Here are some pics.

distaff 08-20-2019 06:36 PM

Very interesting. What did you replace? I hate the Kenwood in mine, but it is tied into the rear camera and Aladdin system, and my head just spins when I start talking about A/V tech.

dverstra 08-20-2019 07:18 PM

I replaced an Alpine single din receiver. The previous owner must have replaced the original. My backup camera and Alladin monitor were separated by previous owner into a monitor on top of the dash. The Alpine radio has an input for a rear camera. I think that it would be possible to have the Alladin system send the video for the backup camera and Alladin data to the RCA jack on this monitor. I could give that a test try if you had an interest.

distaff 08-20-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dverstra (Post 4919721)
I replaced an Alpine single din receiver. The previous owner must have replaced the original. My backup camera and Alladin monitor were separated by previous owner into a monitor on top of the dash. The Alpine radio has an input for a rear camera. I think that it would be possible to have the Alladin system send the video for the backup camera and Alladin data to the RCA jack on this monitor. I could give that a test try if you had an interest.

I am interested. Love to dump mine, but it has kept me busy just keeping it on the road!

V3600 08-20-2019 08:14 PM

Isn't it sad that RV's cost so much and the radios are generally crap? They should come standard with Apple Carplay and Android Auto and all the frills of the radios in our $30k cars. Motorhomes haven't broken out of the 70's, lol.

distaff 08-20-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V3600 (Post 4919820)
Isn't it sad that RV's cost so much and the radios are generally crap? They should come standard with Apple Carplay and Android Auto and all the frills of the radios in our $30k cars. Motorhomes haven't broken out of the 70's, lol.

Of course, mine was built in '05 and the Kenwood was pretty trick for the time. I just think the things you have to do to control it were the product of 12 year old designers. At one point I accidentally turned on the GPS mapping system and it took 600 miles to turn it off!

Carplay was a distant dream, cassettes a recent memory in '05.

dverstra 08-21-2019 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distaff (Post 4919809)
I am interested. Love to dump mine, but it has kept me busy just keeping it on the road!

I will test this radio with the Alladin system and backup camera later today or tomorrow.

RobRoy 08-21-2019 05:29 AM

Quote:

dverstra;4920074 I will test this radio with the Alladin system and backup camera later today or tomorrow.

:thumb:

:popcorn:

dverstra 08-22-2019 05:56 AM

Well, I had a little time to test the radio last night to see if the Alladin and cameras would show up on the radio. It certainly wouldn't be a plug and play connect.
1. Cameras - I could easily set up the backup camera to view in the radio monitor. There is a RCA Camera IN connection in the the wiring harness. I had to press the camera icon on the screen though. This is probably due to the fact that when I was installing the radio, I had no need to hook up the "Reverse" wire to get a signal for the camera. So, I think that it would be relatively simple to do a single backup camera connect. There is a selection in the setup screen for "Camera Interrupt (Power Mode)" that I think would put the camera on the screen when shifting into reverse.
2. Multi-Camera connection. Some one with a better understanding of A/V equipment might be able to figure this out but probably not me. Alpine sells a KCX-C2600B Multi-Camera Selector for an additional $120.00 but it only handles 2 cameras (Alpine brand) and one non-Alpine brand. And I think that it is manually operated not switched by the turn signals. Maybe there is a magic switch box to do all this but I'm not seeing it.:mad:
3. Alladin connection. I could not get the A/V output for the Alladin System to show on the screen. I tried a couple of the settings in the Setup screen but couldn't get a picture to it through the RCA Input jack.:mad:
Maybe someone with a lot of A/V could work these problems out.

distaff 08-22-2019 10:34 AM

Thanks, appreciate the effort. I am also not A/V gifted. Give me computer wiring any day! It is a different world with funny acronyms and different standards.

pduggs 08-22-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dverstra (Post 4919623)
I've been wanting to update the radio since I purchased this Motorhome. I wanted one with Apple CarPlay since it is easily navigated by my Copilot. It is an Alpine iLX-F309 (single din). The reason I went with this particular radio was the adjustable angle and depth mounting system. Here are some pics.

Nice radio. Did you use the OEM antenna or upgrade it too? Does it pick up stations well?

I have the original Magnadyne and AM/FM reception is awful even near a big city. I want to replace it but fear the roof antenna is so poor, I will get the same poor reception with a new radio.

dverstra 08-23-2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pduggs (Post 4922373)
Nice radio. Did you use the OEM antenna or upgrade it too? Does it pick up stations well?

I have the original Magnadyne and AM/FM reception is awful even near a big city. I want to replace it but fear the roof antenna is so poor, I will get the same poor reception with a new radio.

I did not change the outside antenna. It is still the OEM antenna as far as I know. The reception has always been OK. But you are right. I don't think just a radio is going to improve your reception. I'm not a radio geek though.
You might try talking to a CB guy. They "tune" their antennas somehow.

I used the 131 CB Radio Shop, 550 76th St SW, Byron Center, MI 49315. He installed a CB in my previous MH.

CountryB 08-24-2019 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distaff (Post 4919929)
Of course, mine was built in '05 and the Kenwood was pretty trick for the time. I just think the things you have to do to control it were the product of 12 year old designers. At one point I accidentally turned on the GPS mapping system and it took 600 miles to turn it off!

Carplay was a distant dream, cassettes a recent memory in '05.

I guess you have the Kenwood KVT-M707. I just "upgraded" to that. Another forum member donated his Kenwood to me after he upgraded.

The KVT-M707 is much nicer than the previous model (M700). I'm still readign the manual but everything seems to work. One thing is that the new M707 does not automatically come one (display extending and showing VD1) when I turn on the Aladdin power. The older M700 did.

Paul, does your Kenwood M707 "turn on and extend/open the display" when the Aladdin joystick is moved (Aladdin powered on)? Maybe I missed a setting.

On the Reverse camera, the new M707 has a "reverse gear" wire and the receiver unit has a video In jack for a camera. I was thinking it would be easy to wire the Reverse wire to power all the time and run an RCA Y-adapter to split the rear camera to Aladdin and Kenwood at the same time. Then I can just toggle through the Kenwood video sources to see the rear view camera (or use the Aladdin). It would be easy to leave the Kenwood in rear camera mode while driving and still use the Tuner or CD Changer.

pduggs 08-24-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dverstra (Post 4923163)
I did not change the outside antenna. It is still the OEM antenna as far as I know. The reception has always been OK. But you are right. I don't think just a radio is going to improve your reception. I'm not a radio geek though.
You might try talking to a CB guy. They "tune" their antennas somehow.

I used the 131 CB Radio Shop, 550 76th St SW, Byron Center, MI 49315. He installed a CB in my previous MH.

Thanks. My thought is our coaches have all steel framing. If a radio antenna were attached to the framing, that should make reception excellent as the entire coach would become one big radio antenna. Much like a car's radio antenna.

Monaco used a flexible rubber radio antenna on my coach. I can't imagine it being very effective. I hope to make a modification to it some time soon, but have to figure out how to do it.