iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Serpentine Belt Replacement (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/serpentine-belt-replacement-458332.html)

gmc70 08-23-2019 06:45 PM

Serpentine Belt Replacement

We have a 2009 Holiday rambler. The belt looks good but the DW is nervous about a ten year old belt. I kind of agree to a point and would rather change where I have all the tools than on the road. Has anyone here change the belt on one and if so did you remove radiator or snake it around the fan then onto the pulleys. Tensioner is good as just had to replace A/C compressor and just didn't get belt done. I would rather not pull radiator but will. Thanks to all for any advise.

bob caldwell 08-23-2019 07:39 PM

Fan pulley smooth?

RamiDav 08-23-2019 07:44 PM

I wouldn't even try removing the radiator unless you have other
repairs in mind that would require its removal .

I won't say it was an easy job but the radiator is definitely not an
easy job either .
Yes I snaked the belt between the fan blades from above and below .
Taking a picture and drawing one too , will make things much easier . .

flamebuster 08-24-2019 01:18 AM

I replaced mine doing everything from below. It took about a half hour feeding it over the fan blade as I turned it. Not that bad of a job..Gates makes a heavy duty belt for dusty conditions such as rear engines it cost me about 20.00 dollars more than the regular but I figured it was worth it..
Also removing the heavy ad flap helps the access to the belt area..

gmc70 08-24-2019 06:09 PM

What is the AD flap? This is a new motorhome to us and has been a real PITA. I can find the Alt and A/C pulleys and of course the crank and cam but what gets me is no power steering pulley. Do these thing use an electric pump or what?

flamebuster 08-24-2019 11:26 PM

The ad flap is a nick name for the large full width mud flap with the stainless steel metal attached having the mfg. name cut in it..
The power steering pump is most likely driven by what is referred to as an accessory drive (gear driven off the crank shaft) and it powers the air compressor and then the pump.

gmc70 08-25-2019 04:40 PM

Thanks Flamebuster. I will give it a try this week. Looks like a royal pain but got to do it sometime.

doublechevy 08-25-2019 08:32 PM

be sure to make a routing diagram of the existing belt installation before you start removal.

Have changed it a couple of times due to breakage from frozen A/C pump and another time due to frozen Alternator

my coach is 2008 Knight rear radiator It is a PIA found I had to remove top access to engine to make it easier be sure you have a long handle 1/2" drive ratchet for the tensioner pulley

gmc70 08-26-2019 04:40 PM

Unfortunately opening the hatch in the bedroom does no good for getting to the belt on ours, I sure wish it did. I will have to access from bottom and drivers side.