iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f289/)
-   -   AF winterizing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f289/af-winterizing-461439.html)

Povo 09-14-2019 08:15 PM

AF winterizing

Considering using my compressor to winterize my 27-5L versus having my RV shop filling the lines with antifreeze this year. Sounds pretty straight forward. Bypass & empty the hot water heater, connect the compressor to the city water inlet, blowout all the lines, put some antifreeze in all the traps. Am I missing anything? Suggested compressor pressure?

bucks2 09-14-2019 09:05 PM

You should be good for 60 psi water pressure, I wouldn't go over that with air pressure.

I'm also a devoted fan of driving south to winterize. Put a snow blower on top of your rig right by the ladder. When people stop asking how you got that thing up there, and start asking what that thing is...... you're winterized. Stay there until spring.

19fisherman4 09-14-2019 09:08 PM

Drain water filter and any sediment bowls. Outside shower, drain/blow out. Pump through water pump and city water connection.

Povo 09-14-2019 09:11 PM

Unfortunately some of us aren’t retired yet �� but that brought a smile to my face! Give me a few years & I’ll head south from October to maybe April ☺️

MtCamper 09-16-2019 08:45 AM

I don't trust just blowing the water out. It's really easy to put the pink stuff in your AF. Your pump is under the closet at the entry. Take out the screws to access. There is a short hose and valve to the pump. Bypass your water heater and set the pump valve for the hose extension. Stick the end in your bottle and open faucets one at a time til the pink appears. Don't forget your outside shower. Splash a bit of pink in each drain when you are done. Be sure to pull the plug on the hot water heater. I like to tow mine a bit to be sure I have all the drain lines cleared. A couple of drops of canola oil to cover the toilet waste. Takes me about 15 minutes and 2 gallons of pink stuff.

Cumminsfan 09-16-2019 10:12 AM

I've never used the pink stuff in any of my 3 trailers I've owned. Haven't had the current one through a winter yet but will be just blowing the lines like I did in the past.

Disclaimer, I live in the valley in Oregon so we don't get long extended sub freezing temps. Your sig says Bend so you'll get colder for longer stretches than I do.
If I were in Bend I would pump the pink stuff in and sleep better at night.

MtCamper 09-19-2019 09:37 PM

My winterization method for the last three years has been to winter in Yuma. Prior to that I wintered in NW Montana. Pink stuff was mandatory. I'd use air if winter got above freezing most days and never got below zero at night. Pink stuff is less than $10 for 2 gallons. Cheap insurance.

ALLOY 09-28-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Povo (Post 4956382)
Considering using my compressor to winterize my 27-5L versus having my RV shop filling the lines with antifreeze this year. Sounds pretty straight forward. Bypass & empty the hot water heater, connect the compressor to the city water inlet, blowout all the lines, put some antifreeze in all the traps. Am I missing anything? Suggested compressor pressure?

I have the reg set at 50psi

The air runs through a desiccant filter....don't want oil in the water lines.

If this is the first time check the waterlines just to make sure there are no loops or dips where water not blown out might collect in the fittings.

After you're done all the faucet/shower valves can be left open

I use windshield washer fluid for the traps and in the tanks for the dump valves and I like to disconnect the water pump.

Gray01 09-30-2019 11:16 PM

Winterized mine today:

1. Drained fresh water holding tank. (Gray and black already emptied)

2. Opened low point drains and switched WH to bypass finction

3. Winterized Truma WH (15 seconds to open winterization port and remove filter.)

4. Remove and drain Splendide W/D supply hoses (after winterizing Splendide according to mfr. instructions.)

5. Inject 40psi air from compressor to city water port. This adapter is precision machined and works flawlessly: https://i.imgur.com/8PA6rTcl.jpg

I obtained it on amazon for $10. It is called the Winterize Mfg Heavy-Duty Quick Connect Blow Out Plug for RV

6. Opened and drained water (under air pressure) from faucets, W/D supply outlets, shower and toilet.

7. Added RV antifreeze to all traps and toilet.

8. Removed batteries (kept on battery tender for winter storage season).

Rich49 10-01-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtCamper (Post 4964170)
My winterization method for the last three years has been to winter in Yuma. Prior to that I wintered in NW Montana. Pink stuff was mandatory. I'd use air if winter got above freezing most days and never got below zero at night. Pink stuff is less than $10 for 2 gallons. Cheap insurance.

I agree, from N. Idaho and winter in Quartzsite.

Povo 10-23-2019 10:57 PM

So, had my RV shop do the winterization for me. Watched them through the process this time. Seriously. That simple? Next year doing it myself with the antifreeze. ��

Povo 10-26-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtCamper (Post 4958480)
I don't trust just blowing the water out. It's really easy to put the pink stuff in your AF. Your pump is under the closet at the entry. Take out the screws to access. There is a short hose and valve to the pump. Bypass your water heater and set the pump valve for the hose extension. Stick the end in your bottle and open faucets one at a time til the pink appears. Don't forget your outside shower. Splash a bit of pink in each drain when you are done. Be sure to pull the plug on the hot water heater. I like to tow mine a bit to be sure I have all the drain lines cleared. A couple of drops of canola oil to cover the toilet waste. Takes me about 15 minutes and 2 gallons of pink stuff.

I should have listened to you. Next year [emoji106]

astrocamper 10-28-2019 04:08 PM

I did mine on Saturday. Sunday night it got down to about 20 degrees. I moved my water pump. It was mounted under a drawer with the fill hose above. It would bump the fill hose and rattle the drawer. I moved it over away from the drawer and not it runs quiet.

I used a gallon of anti-freeze to run through all the hoses including the outside shower and ran it until it reached the hot and cold low point drains near the water pump.

I moved the hot water heater bypass valve before the anti-freeze. I bought an attachment that has a narrow tube with a 90 degree turn at the end. It was effective in washing out the hot water heater after pulling the anode rod.

I used a 2nd gallon of anti-freeze to fill all the traps and leave enough in the tanks to protect the drain valves.

I won't use my trailer again until a February Death Valley trip. I will probably drive down with anti-freeze in the system and camp the first night with full hookups to rinse out the system.