iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Water leak in basement while pulling over 12,600 pass (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/water-leak-in-basement-while-pulling-over-12-600-pass-461835.html)

whit66 09-17-2019 08:35 AM

Water leak in basement while pulling over 12,600 pass

I am confused, yesterday we drove from Durango Colorado to Ouray Colorado which has many high passes! When I arrived I opened the basement and found my backpack wet a a few other things damp!

I immediately applied water and did a complete leak ck which I could not find any leaks! I did notice my hot water tank showed evidence that my pressure relief valve must have activated as there is evidence of water coming out of that area. I did not empty my low point drains before I left the rv park not sure if that is the issue

Confused!!!

Busskipper 09-17-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whit66 (Post 4960262)
I am confused, yesterday we drove from Durango Colorado to Ouray Colorado which has many high passes! When I arrived I opened the basement and found my backpack wet a a few other things damp!

I immediately applied water and did a complete leak ck which I could not find any leaks! I did notice my hot water tank showed evidence that my pressure relief valve must have activated as there is evidence of water coming out of that area. I did not empty my low point drains before I left the rv park not sure if that is the issue

Confused!!!

Whit,

You are not the only one confused. -:eek: - :nonono:

Red Mountain Pass on 550 is only 11,018' which is high but certainly not 12,600. - :cool:

If you want to get over 12,000' you will need to get to Trail Ridge "Trail Ridge Road provides spectacular view of the majestic scenery of Rocky Mountain National Park. It is the highest continuous motorway in the United States, with more than eight miles lying above 11,000' and a maximum elevation of 12,183"

Not sure anyone else even noticed or even cares - but just "Confused me:)"

Best of Luck,

whit66 09-17-2019 11:13 AM

Thanks Busskipper I will try to edit my posts! So I guess you do not have a suggestion??
Quote:

Originally Posted by Busskipper (Post 4960421)
Whit,

You are not the only one confused. -:eek: - :nonono:

Red Mountain Pass on 550 is only 11,018' which is high but certainly not 12,600. - :cool:

If you want to get over 12,000' you will need to get to Trail Ridge "Trail Ridge Road provides spectacular view of the majestic scenery of Rocky Mountain National Park. It is the highest continuous motorway in the United States, with more than eight miles lying above 11,000' and a maximum elevation of 12,183"

Not sure anyone else even noticed or even cares - but just "Confused me:)"

Best of Luck,

Busskipper 09-17-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whit66 (Post 4960511)
Thanks Busskipper I will try to edit my posts! So I guess you do not have a suggestion??

Whit,

Think your theory is correct at 11,000 feet water will boil at around 190 degrees not at sea levels 212. - :facepalm:.

So it is likely that while going over the three passes the water Boiled over causing the relief valve to Work. - :thumb:

In my case - i have driven through all these passes and often never even knew they were "Passes" - (I thought I just drove over a Mountain) - anyway I have become very aware of all these Passes and the elevations.

So IMHO there are really only two types of passes - Really Steep and all the rest - avoid steep and drive the rest slowly and enjoy the view.

Next time you are driving over a pass might just turn off the Hot Water Heater - Pretty much most of the time you travel in Western Colorado.

Best of Luck and Enjoy Colorado it is Truly Special.

whit66 09-17-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busskipper (Post 4960540)
Whit,

Think your theory is correct at 11,000 feet water will boil at around 190 degrees not at sea levels 212. - :facepalm:.

So it is likely that while going over the three passes the water Boiled over causing the relief valve to Work. - :thumb:

In my case - i have driven through all these passes and often never even knew they were "Passes" - (I thought I just drove over a Mountain) - anyway I have become very aware of all these Passes and the elevations.

So IMHO there are really only two types of passes - Really Steep and all the rest - avoid steep and drive the rest slowly and enjoy the view.

Next time you are driving over a pass might just turn off the Hot Water Heater - Pretty much most of the time you travel in Western Colorado.

Thank you I will definitely make sure I prepare this Thursday!

akpd 09-18-2019 11:21 AM

water heater

1 Attachment(s)
I believe the relief valve will release at around 150 PSI, with an expansion tank installed you would probably eliminate the issue. You could also relieve some pressure by opening then closing a faucet in coach as you increase altitude.

Also please read attachment...

akpd 09-18-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busskipper (Post 4960540)
Whit,

If your water is being heated to anywhere near 190 degrees its way to hot and unsafe, odds are it is not even close to that temp.

FatChance 09-18-2019 03:17 PM

Next time you go over a pass, put a sealed bag of potato chips on the dash before starting up. When you get to the top, look at the bag. It will be fully inflated due to the difference in air pressure. Sealed containers filled with liquid will do the same. If they cannot contain the pressure in the container, the liquid will escape. I would suspect that before boiling water in the water heater because the boiling temperature will not go down in a pressurized container...

Old-Biscuit 09-21-2019 02:09 PM

RV Water heater T&P Relief Valves POP OPEN at 210*F/150psi ....will weep at 125psi

RV Water Heater T-stats control temp at 130*F (Suburban) or 140*F (Atwood)
RV Water Heater High Temp T-stats TRIP Open at 180*F (Atwood triggers RED FAULT Light/auto reset at 150*F-----Suburban has be be MAUNALLY reset)

SO did you get a RED Fault Light and water heater had to be reset Or did you have to Manually Reset T-stat........IF NO then water temp did not overheat

Most likely scenerio is pressure in water heater was enough to cause T&P to WEEP due to increase in pressure from loss of 'air pocket'
Water SWELLS when heated......air pocket at top of WH Tank allows for the swelling w/o increases in internal pressure.
W/O air pocket water can not be compressed so when it swells from heating the pressure WILL increase.....T&P Weeps.

akpd 09-26-2019 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 4966029)
RV Water heater T&P Relief Valves POP OPEN at 210*F/150psi ....will weep at 125psi

RV Water Heater T-stats control temp at 130*F (Suburban) or 140*F (Atwood)
RV Water Heater High Temp T-stats TRIP Open at 180*F (Atwood triggers RED FAULT Light/auto reset at 150*F-----Suburban has be be MAUNALLY reset)

SO did you get a RED Fault Light and water heater had to be reset Or did you have to Manually Reset T-stat........IF NO then water temp did not overheat

Most likely scenerio is pressure in water heater was enough to cause T&P to WEEP due to increase in pressure from loss of 'air pocket'
Water SWELLS when heated......air pocket at top of WH Tank allows for the swelling w/o increases in internal pressure.
W/O air pocket water can not be compressed so when it swells from heating the pressure WILL increase.....T&P Weeps.

Hopefully my PDF snap shot of a page in the Atwood manual was read from my #6 post, explains the required air pocket for expansion.