iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Fat Tire eBike Carrier (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fat-tire-ebike-carrier-462058.html)

Travelwrench 09-18-2019 03:16 PM

Fat Tire eBike Carrier

We are purchasing 2 fat tire ebikes and want to carrier them behind motorhome and still tow jeep. I have looked at alot of bike carriers and thought maybe this would work good, I can even use the ramp to load. whats the thoughts on this?
https://www.discountramps.com/double...r/p/AMC-600-2/

FIRE UP 09-18-2019 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelwrench (Post 4962299)
We are purchasing 2 fat tire ebikes and want to carrier them behind motorhome and still tow jeep. I have looked at alot of bike carriers and thought maybe this would work good, I can even use the ramp to load. whats the thoughts on this?
https://www.discountramps.com/double...r/p/AMC-600-2/

Well,
Yeah, that will work ok but, there's a couple of things to remember here with something like that. First, check the tow rating of a carrier like that. Many times, they're not rated for the weight you're gonna want to tow, like a Jeep. Some are rated for a maximum of about 3,000 lbs. or so. And second, the geometry of driving and towing with a carrier like that on the back, has its potential issues. By that I mean, If you add that carrier, the attachment point of your Jeeps tow bar, will be at a minimum of about 3' or so, out from the coaches receiver.

What this all means is, the pivot point for the front of the tow bar makes an arc, as you turn your coach, with a toad attached. That kind of motion is a bit hard on the tow attachment points for the tow bar and jeeps front tires etc. Will it destroy anything, no, not really, it's just hard on it. I have the EXACT same setup only, instead of bicycles, I've got a smaller motorcycle in between the coach and the Jeep. You'll see in pictures below. When it comes to tighter turns with the coach and Jeep hooked up, I take as wide of a turn as I'm allowed to, based on existing conditions.

Once you're moving, it's really no big deal. It's really only when making tight turns that puts the strain on all of that mechanism back there.
Scott

Travelwrench 09-18-2019 05:05 PM

I was thinking of getting a double receiver. So bike rack in the top one and tow bar in lower one.

brandss 09-18-2019 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We've had this rack for many months now and it works great. We have two fat tire ebikes that weigh 60 pounds each without the batteries. Just another option for you.

Golfer Guy 09-18-2019 07:12 PM

I use a dbl hitch from Roadmaster and a 1up USA bike rack with the fat tire extensions. It is the best setup I could find. Not cheap but perfect for the Rad Bikes. The whole set up can be moved to the Jeep as well.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/equip-d-double/

JpalmerCass 09-18-2019 08:27 PM

1UP-USA makes the best bike rack, bar none, and it makes the others look like junk. And it's made in Wisconsin. I had one for ten years and it was faultless. When we bought recumbent trikes I sold it for 300 bucks and had guys lined up wanting it. In hindsight I should'a asked more on CL.

FIRE UP 09-18-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelwrench (Post 4962461)
I was thinking of getting a double receiver. So bike rack in the top one and tow bar in lower one.

Well,
That may work for you only, one thing you'd have to keep in mind is, two bikes are gonna be kind-a wide. That is, they're gonna stick out from the back of the coach for a good couple feet, if not more. Now, stick a tow bar in a lower receiver and, just how close is the hood gonna come to those bikes in:

1. Either a right or left hand turn?
2. A dip, as in going into or out of, a gas station, drive way, campground, parking lot etc.?
3. Both a turn AND a dip, as in the same as #2 above.

The other posters are talking about racks that would go on the back of a toad, not in between the toad and coach. The rack you linked and the one I show'd in my pics are ones that can handle both the E-bikes AND tow a toad. There's nothing really wrong with putting a bike rack on the toad. All it means is, you have them still attached to the toad, when you disconnect from the coach. We've done that too. Now, if we were to bring along the motorcycle, the Jeep AND THE BIKES, then yes, that would be our option, to add a bike rack to our Jeep. No biggie.
Scott

tfryman 09-18-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIRE UP (Post 4962442)
Well,
Yeah, that will work ok but, there's a couple of things to remember here with something like that. First, check the tow rating of a carrier like that. Many times, they're not rated for the weight you're gonna want to tow, like a Jeep. Some are rated for a maximum of about 3,000 lbs. or so. And second, the geometry of driving and towing with a carrier like that on the back, has its potential issues. By that I mean, If you add that carrier, the attachment point of your Jeeps tow bar, will be at a minimum of about 3' or so, out from the coaches receiver.

What this all means is, the pivot point for the front of the tow bar makes an arc, as you turn your coach, with a toad attached. That kind of motion is a bit hard on the tow attachment points for the tow bar and jeeps front tires etc. Will it destroy anything, no, not really, it's just hard on it. I have the EXACT same setup only, instead of bicycles, I've got a smaller motorcycle in between the coach and the Jeep. You'll see in pictures below. When it comes to tighter turns with the coach and Jeep hooked up, I take as wide of a turn as I'm allowed to, based on existing conditions.

Once you're moving, it's really no big deal. It's really only when making tight turns that puts the strain on all of that mechanism back there.
Scott

The carrier linked by the OP is NOT made to have a hitch attached to the back end to tow a vehicle (or anything else).

And I would think it is entirely too long to reside on a double-hitch that is connected to a toad. The only way that carrier would work is if it was in the toad's receiver.

FIRE UP 09-18-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfryman (Post 4962810)
The carrier linked by the OP is NOT made to have a hitch attached to the back end to tow a vehicle (or anything else).

And I would think it is entirely too long to reside on a double-hitch that is connected to a toad. The only way that carrier would work is if it was in the toad's receiver.

Well Sir,
Yeah, that's my mistake. I read the OP's post and it stated "carrier behind the motorhome and still tow a Jeep". To me, that meant exactly what I show in my picture. The bikes would be IN BETWEEN the coach and the Jeep. And, I briefly looked at his link and saw the square tube sticking out of the center and kind-of auto-assumed it was a receiver. That's what I get for not looking closer at the ad.

Now, if he would have stated that he'd carry the bikes ON THE JEEP, that would have been a whole different response. He can use the one I use without issue and, the bikes would not be needed to be off loaded every time he'd disconnect the Jeep from the coach. His choice.
Scott

joemcgin 09-19-2019 07:13 AM

Why not put a standard Thule bike carrier on your Jeep? That's how we carry ours when we tow.

Travelwrench 09-19-2019 10:07 AM

I want to keep bikes on back of motorhome and still tow jeep. Just thought motorcycle carrier is cheaper than bike rack, has loading ramp and can hold #600.

Mr_D 09-19-2019 10:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I also bought the 1up-usa.com unit for my Rad Rover, mounted on my Jeep and towed behind my motorhome.

Travelwrench 09-19-2019 01:56 PM

how do you like your Rad

FIRE UP 09-19-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelwrench (Post 4963224)
I want to keep bikes on back of motorhome and still tow jeep. Just thought motorcycle carrier is cheaper than bike rack, has loading ramp and can hold #600.

Then take a look at what we're using, the Versa Hauler motorcycle carrier. You can get it with TWO trays on it for two bikes. While it is a bit shy on what they say it can tow, I carried our Yamaha TW 200 (at 278 lbs) and, towed our Jeep JKUR all over some western U.S. states for well over 2,600 miles and had ZERO issues. I kept an eye on all parts and components during the trip and all went well.

We don't mind carrying the bicycles on the back of the Jeep, if and when necessary. But, on this trip, we decided to not bring them. I have the Sport rack which, is very, very similar to one shown in this thread. With that one or the Swagman model, I can have the bikes loaded or unloaded in about one minute or so. Then, it takes me about another 30 seconds to a minute, to remove the rack. So, as stated, it's no big deal.

But, either way, the bikes are gonna get dirty. I don't know of ANY bike rack that can also tow a vehicle, like the Versa Hauler can.
Scott