iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   2016 Canyon Star - What is this thing for? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2016-canyon-star-what-is-this-thing-for-462095.html)

ericllucas 09-18-2019 08:23 PM

2016 Canyon Star - What is this thing for?

Hi - I bought a used 2016 Canyon Star. I've figured out nearly everything on this RV and am well pleased with it. There is one thing, however, that has me stumped. In the basement on the driver's side, near and under the kitchen sink, is some kind of water tank. The kitchen sink and I don't know what else drains into it.

What is this thing for? Should I be doing anything with it? I didn't see what appeared to be any user maintenance or user accessible things on it. It looks like it is meant to be left alone.

What is this for? Should I be doing anything with it?

Thanks!

hohenwald48 09-18-2019 10:07 PM

Picture would help. Accumulator tank is a possibility.

Tranquil Jim 09-18-2019 10:29 PM

Some coaches have two gray water tanks; one for the kitchen/half-bath (if you have one) and another for the rear bath. If so, you will also have a dump valve in the electric bay to dump the forward tank. The rear tank dump valve will be in the wet bay.

TJ

scbwr 09-19-2019 06:01 AM

Call Newmar and they will be able to help you.

"007" 09-19-2019 11:00 AM

Welcome to the forum.
This link will give you many answers just need to read directions to get information.
Brochure --- Owners Guide
You need to fill out your signature will help us and yourself with the information we both need, signature is found in the CP top left of your page your on. Your coach info and model # would be helpful.
The tank your talking about could be a gas tank for toys if you have garage model.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.

ericllucas 09-20-2019 04:56 PM

Figured it out, thanks to Newmar

As it happens, I was passing through Nappanee today. I stopped by Newmar and a nice man by the name of Devon looked in the basement and knew what it was. He said that because the sink is in the slide out, they couldn't get it to drain over to the gray water tank, so they drop the water into a sump tank. He said then, there is a float in that tank so that when the water level gets to a certain level, a pump kicks on and pumps the water through a pipe that goes down the slide out towards the back of the RV, over to the gray water tank, in a flexy tube, and up into the gray water tank.

The purpose of that tank is to allow a sink in the slide out and still get the drain water into the gray water tank in the chassis. He said there is no maintenance required.

Mystery solved!

RandDescape 09-20-2019 07:16 PM

If that tank holds water until it rises to a level and then pumps it to the grey tank then you need to think about winterizing it if you donít keep it heated when itís cold out.

Youíd need to make sure you fill it enough to kick the pump full and for it to push out any standing water in the line to the grey tank.

iowaone 09-20-2019 08:04 PM

Yeah make sure run plenty of antifreeze or wind shield antifreeze there if in very cold storage.

ericllucas 09-20-2019 09:05 PM

That is very wise advice about winterizing.

As it happens, in my specific case, I am a naturalized citizen of the great state of Florida. I had my fill of driving big trucks in ice and snow in the military, my ticket is well punched in that regard. I don't drive my RV anywhere the road is snowy or icy anymore. I tend to stay south of the Florida border and just watch the snow on TV anymore. Haven't winterized an RV in years.

Most everyone else will get a disappointing surprise if they don't take your advice though.

Tetonchief 09-20-2019 10:28 PM

Hmm? I have a 2012 Canyon Star with sink in the slide out and it drains fine with no special tank.

ericllucas 09-21-2019 06:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. I finally broke down and uploaded pictures. This basement compartment is right in front of the rear drive tires. There is a 110v outlet on the front side, to my surprise. I would have thought the thing would have been 12v.

Tetonchief 09-22-2019 10:45 AM

Nope, don't have one of those.

rlott2k 09-22-2019 04:28 PM

Boy, I could see a problem with having a full grey tank overflow when that one decides to pump out.

"007" 09-24-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericllucas (Post 4965503)
Hi everyone. I finally broke down and uploaded pictures. This basement compartment is right in front of the rear drive tires. There is a 110v outlet on the front side, to my surprise. I would have thought the thing would have been 12v.

Its a good thing you are in FL. during the winter months with this setup for kitchen sink, something new has been added in my years on this forum.
What is the model number of your coach so others will know what they have.
People up north with same model will have to winterize with a little extra care with this drainage setup.