iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Auto Level first or slides out first (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/auto-level-first-or-slides-out-first-462290.html)

Fleetwood13 09-20-2019 04:04 PM

Auto Level first or slides out first

Hello,

New to my Class A Fleetwood with the auto leveling jacks and slides. Should I put jacks down first and slides out second or vice versa?

Thanks,

justinpirie 09-20-2019 04:07 PM

Always jacks first. Auto level is a waste of time on my Fleetwood. Manual mode wins every time.

Cousin Ed 09-20-2019 04:15 PM

What the manufacturer says. We had 3 Winnebagos, all wanted to be level first. Our Entegra demands to be at ride height for the slides to move, then level. It's the way they are built!

Trent C 09-20-2019 04:16 PM

Slides work best when level, less binding issues that way.

Podivin 09-20-2019 04:19 PM

Different rigs have different rules, some say slides first, some say level first. Ultimately it doesn't matter what any of us here do or say, it only matters what the mfg of your RV says. If you don't have a manual with it hunt one down online and see what it says. The manual could come in handy for other things also. Manuals for RV are often a bit generic about things you'd really like to know, but they DO have good bits of info here and there.

Triple H 09-20-2019 06:50 PM

My Fleetwood manual for gassers say jacks, then slides at set up. Slides then jacks when breaking camp.

FatChance 09-20-2019 07:26 PM

Yup, the manufacturer recommendation is what you should do.

A Traveler 09-20-2019 07:37 PM

You need to read your owners manual. Some manufacturers want you to put the slides out first, then level. Others want you to do it the other way around.

Any “advice” you get here is just so much noise. The only authority is your owners manual.

Mudfrog 09-20-2019 11:18 PM

Found this in the 2013 Fleetwood Storm manual.

For operation of the slide-out room the
following is required:

• Park the RV and level it for stationary use.
• Ignition on (engine running)
• Transmission in park
• Parking brake engaged
• Slide-out key or switch activated
• Battery Voltage must be over 13.0 Volts DC

Here's a link to the manual.

https://big.nyc3.cdn.digitaloceanspa...20190830093342

Dav L 09-21-2019 07:10 AM

Use Search. This topic has been explored a zillion times with "different strokes for different folks" as the outcome. Bottom line: if the chassis is twisted, don't move the slides.

Fleetwood13 09-21-2019 07:44 AM

Thank you all for the input. My owners manual says the coach should be level before activating slides. That is what i’ve Been doing but recently someone told me otherwise so I was doubting myself. Thank you.

MO Fred 09-21-2019 08:01 AM

My manual says put slides out first and then level but..... I always level first and then put slides out. Been doing it forever... What does it hurt?? And it doesn’t make any sense to put the slides out first when sitting on an uneven space with a twisted frame.

cvbdsl 09-21-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MO Fred (Post 4965566)
My manual says put slides out first and then level but..... I always level first and then put slides out. Been doing it forever... What does it hurt?? And it doesn’t make any sense to put the slides out first when sitting on an uneven space with a twisted frame.

Tried that with mine and the passenger front slide will rub against the pantry cabinets all the time if leveled first.
I put the slides out when in "travel" mode and then level after. No more rubbing. Of course that's the way the manual states to do it.
The auto level prevents any frame twisting. It will also prevent twisting on manual mode - warning light comes on and won't allow any more adjustments. BTW I have air leveling only, my frame is not twisted in any way in travel mode when sitting on an uneven site, air bags compensate for anything up to around 6 or 8 inches.

Cloud Dancer 09-21-2019 11:46 AM

The important method is for the motorhome to be level, and on 4 solid footings, AND without a torque force acting on it,...prior to extending the slides. I only say this because it makes sense, and this is the system that I use on my Dutch Star.
However, I recommend whatever your factory manual instructs. I certainly would not want to be blamed for any screwups.
Also, I have NO experience with a full-length slideout model. If that's what you have, I can't help you.