iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   Drop Satellite for Streaming? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/drop-satellite-for-streaming-462408.html)

ficodek 09-21-2019 06:23 PM

Drop Satellite for Streaming?
 
We are not full-timers, but enjoy traveling around the country, mostly east of the Rockies. We use Dish, with a Winegard Trav'ler on the roof, and have been happy with the ease of changing service locations using the Dish app.

Recently, in the middle of a multi-month trip, the Winegard Trav'ler refused to stow. After speaking with Winegard, their level 2 support told me the electronics in the dish on the roof had stopped working and I would have to replace them at a cost of at least $350. Plus, I had to go on the roof and manually lower the dish, breaking the manual screw in the process.

I use a Mofi 4500 router for wifi in the coach, it's been a great product. Needing TV while we are traveling, I purchased a Roku Express+ and have been using YouTube TV with great success...plus Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, etc.

To handle the increased cellular data, I signed up with OTR Mobile for their $60 unlimited data plan. I purchased an AT&T Prepaid SIM at Target, activated it on my OTR Mobile accout, and within a few hours had service. This has been working perfectly for the last 6 weeks of this trip.

I'm considering not fixing the antenna and leaving my Dish account suspended, and going only with the streaming apps. At every park I've been able to use cellular data or, in some cases, the park's wifi has good enough wifi to support streaming.

The final good point is that Dish doesn't provide HD signals for local stations in many cities, but of course the streaming service does.

Has anybody else made the switch from satellite to streaming?

wildtoad 09-21-2019 06:38 PM

Nope, but I’ve been to many campgrounds where the wifi/internet access would not support simple browsing or even connecting. Maybe too many people were streaming or downloading software updates. If you want to stream tv or movies please use your own cell provider.

lexton 09-21-2019 06:51 PM

2 years ago we cut the cord. I have a cable that hooks to my iPhone from the TV. We watch Prime, Acorn and Netflix. We do it while at home as well. Will never go back satellite or cable again. It's a total waste of money.

CoreyinWP 09-21-2019 08:13 PM

We cancelled DTV in April and streamed while traveling 5k miles. Use Att and Verizon sims and was never without Tv. Will never go back to satellite

Mac99 09-21-2019 08:30 PM

Having stayed in 100+ campgrounds over the last 9 years,
I have never been in one, no matter how expensive a place
it was, that had wifi that would support streaming.

TechWriter 09-21-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac99 (Post 4966452)
Having stayed in 100+ campgrounds over the last 9 years,
I have never been in one, no matter how expensive a place
it was, that had wifi that would support streaming.

Apparently you went to the wrong 100+ campgrounds. During our 5-month West Coast trip this year to 43 campgrounds, we found about 40% of campgrounds had WiFi that supported streaming (> 5 Mbps). Read all about it.

Searching_Ut 09-21-2019 09:15 PM

Think there may be some confusion regarding definitions. We stay in a lot of what we call campgrounds, dozens a year in fact and not one has had WiFi. State parks, and rv parks on the other hand.. A couple state parks had WiFi, such as Kartchner caverns in AZ, and probably 90 percent or so had WIFI that was at least available some parts of the day. Many times the small isolated areas had better service than many of the bigger more modern parks. Cell phone wise using Verizon, coverage in the 70 percent or so range for at least text capability if not voice.

Without the satellite, we would be without TV service a lot, and even with the portable G2 dish we sometimes canít get satellite.

TechWriter 09-21-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Searching_Ut (Post 4966519)
Think there may be some confusion regarding definitions. We stay in a lot of what we call campgrounds, dozens a year in fact and not one has had WiFi. State parks, and rv parks on the other hand.

You're not the OP. OP said . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by ficodek (Post 4966303)
At every park I've been able to use cellular data or, in some cases, the park's wifi has good enough wifi to support streaming.

You may be staying at places without WiFi, but OP does . . . at least some places.

docj 09-22-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyinWP (Post 4966431)
We cancelled DTV in April and streamed while traveling 5k miles. Use Att and Verizon sims and was never without Tv. Will never go back to satellite

We're literally calling to cancel DirecTV tomorrow. We're using YouTubeTV and it gets all the stations we like to watch. My DirecTV subscription with three TVs and HBO but a low-end channel package is ~$130/mo whereas YouTube TV is $50 plus another $14 for HBO. (Interestingly, DirecTV charges me $17.99 for HBO that I can buy for $14.99 directly from HBO).

We currently have unlimited accounts on both Verizon and AT&T but I'd have at least one of them anyway just to support our other streaming needs. The bottom line is that even with two unlimited streaming accounts I'm paying less than I would have with DirecTV and one unlimited account.

As an RVer, this summer we found YouTube TV easier to use because we didn't have to worry about trees blocking our satellite reception. Occasionally our hotspots would slow down but only once or twice did I switch to the higher priority hotspot on my phone.

CoreyinWP 09-22-2019 08:00 PM

We ran into many campgrounds this past summer that would have challenged the satellite. It was a pleasure to not have to worry about it,,ever

dandrhill 09-23-2019 07:59 AM

Last November we cancelled our DirecTV after we purchased an unlimited hot spot from Sprint through the FMCA TechConnect+ program and several Roku devices. We have since traveled much of the East coast from Florida to Vermont and have been very satisfied with our system. We usually don't bother connecting to the campground WiFi (don't see the need even though we have a WiFi extender on the roof). We've only been in one campground where we didn't have a good connection and neither AT&T or Verizon had coverage their either (something to do with a mountain being in the way).

We do use AT&T/TV Now so I guess we didn't completely cancel DTV but we did reduce our monthly cost by over $100. Of course if you routinely travel places without cell coverage then you won't like this solution but it has worked well for us.

NXR 09-23-2019 09:03 AM

My Verizon 15 GB phone hotspot ran out of data at 10 PM on the last day of the billing month. I got an email and text that they had cut me back to 0.6 M/bps (about one-half of the old DSL speeds or 10x dial-up speeds).

That's the phone hotspot speed if you're on their "Unlimited" account without any extra hotspot plan.

We were watching Netflix via a Roku at the time and it continued just fine past midnight when the new data kicked in.

The next time I get throttled I'm going to try and start Netflix up. It either runs fine when throttled or Verizon didn't really throttle me.

Ray

B52Rnav 09-23-2019 01:18 PM

We have new coach and have not yet made decision to install satellite system. So this trip was our test run for streaming. Results are mixed.

We opted for OTR Mobile unlimited at $60/month and the service has been very good. There have been a few locations where speed was not good enough for streaming, but good enough for everything else. OTR/ATT has been better than Verizon in most places.

After testing several streaming services at home, we selected Plau Station Vue, because of it's channel selections and ability to get local stations to watch weekend golf. PSV worked great for first 30 days using their Android app on our phones, and using Firestick 4K. After 30 days, you run into restrictions from Sony/PSV because of being away from your "home area". Problems: app quit running on one phone, quit casting on other phone, and overlaid menus/video using Firestick. However, was always able to cast from Chrome on laptop. Tried several VPNs and was finally able to trick PSV into thinking we were home - for 2 days. Also, PSV does not allow VPNs.

Bottom line is DW just wants it to work without making adjustments and changes every day. At the moment she would love to have satellite.

On this trip, we have had about 5 stops where trees would have been an issue and also about 5 stops where internet was not usable for streaming.

Making the point that one solution is best just does not compute. Since we each have different criteria, we each have to find solutions that works for us. I will probably continue to explore streaming before I drop $2K on a satellite system.

B52Rnav 09-23-2019 01:22 PM

Forgot to mention, that we regularly stream Prime Video with no issues.

mjbenedict 09-23-2019 06:44 PM

My nephew has me trying YouTube tv and it works pretty well. Has my local channels away from home. I donít know about how long but suspect itís dependent on home billing address. Sadly this is all controlled by the networks, they donít care if you donít get what you want.

docj 09-23-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjbenedict (Post 4969134)
My nephew has me trying YouTube tv and it works pretty well. Has my local channels away from home. I donít know about how long but suspect itís dependent on home billing address. Sadly this is all controlled by the networks, they donít care if you donít get what you want.

This summer, when YouTubeTV "got upset" because I wasn't in my home area for >90 days it started giving me local channels where I was. I'm not sure if this is the normal procedure, but it was Ok with me.

Jthigh 09-23-2019 09:06 PM

We haven’t had cable or satellite for 4 years. We have unlimited data and can stream about 70-80 percent of the time. Took some getting used to but we have learned there is more to do than watch TV.

Like reading and posting on iRV2.

lawjohnson 09-23-2019 10:42 PM

We just got back from a trip to Soap Lake WA. The CG was pretty empty since it was the middle of the week so the manager just said "pick a spot and I will do the paperwork" I walked the available sites in the "price range" and found two with an open SE exposure. Picked one, set up, and deployed the dish. It worked fine. Good thing, the data there was "email speed only" and our T-Mobile barely had cell signal much less data.

wjohnson913 09-23-2019 10:55 PM

We also use OTR mobile to stream YouTube TV and have had good results. I split YouTube with my son. They allow for five different streams and 5 cloud based DVRs. I get local channels from his billing zip code. Works for me. If I want local channels from where we are traveling campground cable or over the air antenna will have to do. Iíve only been one place where AT&T was marginal for streaming so for that week I used my Verizon cell. Splitting the account with my son eliminates the whole not in your home zip code every so many days requirements.

computerguy 09-23-2019 11:37 PM

I kept satellite as streaming just has too many hoops to jump thru. I prefer simplicity and sat does it for me. I have a dish on the roof and one for the ground should trees be in the way. Plus I have the tv on most of the day using with CNBC. Just not realistic for streaming

docj 09-24-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjohnson913 (Post 4969467)
We also use OTR mobile to stream YouTube TV and have had good results.

As of this morning I have cancelled DirecTV; we have been using YouTube TV for several weeks without any issues.

It was amusing to me that in order to cancel DirecTV I had to call a "special number" that isn't operational on weekends! When I called it this morning, the recording said "we're experiencing high call volumes!" :cool: Hard to imagine a less customer-service oriented company than AT&T!

If anyone else wants the cancellation department: 855-235-3982

CoreyinWP 09-24-2019 02:48 PM

I was also amazed they asked for no early termination fees. I was within two year agreement.

SkiSmuggs 09-24-2019 05:33 PM

We cut the Dish cord several months ago at home and use Sling, Prime, and Hulu instead. With a tablet plan from AT&T and a Visible phone, I feel we have a much better experience than standard definition campground cable and the cost of paying for so much we don't watch in both the RV and S&B. And we are finally getting our money's worth out of the Roku apps.

firedoc 09-24-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs (Post 4970383)
We cut the Dish cord several months ago at home and use Sling, Prime, and Hulu instead. With a tablet plan from AT&T and a Visible phone, I feel we have a much better experience than standard definition campground cable and the cost of paying for so much we don't watch in both the RV and S&B. And we are finally getting our money's worth out of the Roku apps.



Could you expand on ďtablet plan from ATTĒ and ďVision Phone from VerizonĒ?

NXR 09-24-2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerguy (Post 4969505)
I kept satellite as streaming just has too many hoops to jump thru. I prefer simplicity and sat does it for me. I have a dish on the roof and one for the ground should trees be in the way. Plus I have the tv on most of the day using with CNBC. Just not realistic for streaming

We use a Roku Streaming Stick with the CNBC app and my DW has it on literally all day. It requires a cable or satellite login. We have just internet service with our home cable company so I tried that login.

It worked and I was shocked. The cable company must just be passing a valid token for all of their customers instead of just those with cable tv service.

Ray

SkiSmuggs 09-25-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedoc (Post 4970423)
Could you expand on “tablet plan from ATT” and “Vision Phone from Verizon”?

Sure and that is "Visible" phone from Verizon here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/40-mo...ed-442091.html Everything you need is in post # 10. I got the Moto G7 phone from them for $199 (normally $250) and will get $100 rebate after 2 months paid service. The plan is truly unlimited for talk, text and data and no throttling.
I also bought a used or open box unlocked GSM hotspot from eBay and then a $35/month AT&T tablet plan from eBay. It is also unlimited data. At a campground, I test the speed from each and use the fastest one.

SkiSmuggs 09-25-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NXR (Post 4970792)
We use a Roku Streaming Stick with the CNBC app and my DW has it on literally all day. It requires a cable or satellite login. We have just internet service with our home cable company so I tried that login.

It worked and I was shocked. The cable company must just be passing a valid token for all of their customers instead of just those with cable tv service.

Ray

With the 9.1 Roku update, you are automatically logged on to many apps when you login to the Roku.

Belgique 09-25-2019 10:29 AM

YouTube TV Question: can you schedule programs to record? If so can it be done on a recurring basis (e.g., record all NCIS showings). Its not clear from reading their site. Thanks.

Belgique 09-25-2019 11:47 AM

Disregard. From another website I see that you can.

Vanslam 09-25-2019 01:25 PM

I haven't used my satellite dish since I bought my motorhome. I use the normal air antenna, watch dvd's or stream via my mobley mifi or visible hotspot.

cekkk 09-29-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac99 (Post 4966452)
Having stayed in 100+ campgrounds over the last 9 years,
I have never been in one, no matter how expensive a place
it was, that had wifi that would support streaming.

Not sure about 100 here but otherwise x2. And if the park uses TengoInternet I don't even try Sometimes.

NeverGrowUp 09-29-2019 05:28 PM

I made the switch from.Direct and WI -FI to enjoying the peace.and quiero the great outdoors. who needs the junk on TV.

Feiter 09-29-2019 06:11 PM

Recently used AT&T TV Now (was DirecTV Now) and liked it. Have Winegard Connect 2 with unlimited AT&T data at $360 annual. Worked great in all 12 northern states and Midwest.

KWiK 09-29-2019 06:19 PM

We dumped Dish a few months back because of the cost, got rid of dsl and got a verizon unlimited hotspot. We haven't been out much this summer but will get a chance to try it on the road hear in a few weeks. We currently use it at home for all our internet and streaming needs. We do get occasional buffering slowdowns, and occasionally the picture quality will drop for a few seconds, but for the cost difference I am happy with it. We tried sling, hoping we could get a ota antenna to work, but no luck, so we switched to Youtube TV which has our local channels.

Don Juane 09-29-2019 06:31 PM

I cut the cord 20 years ago but I ended up cutting all of them. Make love to the spouse, bake a cake, play some dominoes or cards with friends. Or write a book. You don't need all that BS. Live your life and quit allowing others to instill what you mistake for entertainment or enjoyment. If what other people are doing in an imaginary world is more exciting than what you are doing, then it may be time to re-examine what you are doing.

TechWriter 09-29-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Juane (Post 4977128)
I cut the cord 20 years ago but I ended up cutting all of them. Make love to the spouse, bake a cake, play some dominoes or cards with friends. Or write a book. You don't need all that BS. Live your life and quit allowing others to instill what you mistake for entertainment or enjoyment. If what other people are doing in an imaginary world is more exciting than what you are doing, then it may be time to re-examine what you are doing.

You're an example to us all.

chiefneon 09-29-2019 09:26 PM

Howdy!

It’s been all most two years since we cut the cord and disconnected our Drirectv satellite. We never have used or counted on park WiFi. We have unlimited accounts with AT&T and Verizon. We use AT&T TV (previously know as DirecTV Now) Netflix and Amazon Prime to stream everything we watch. We’ve only stayed at one RV Park we could not get a data signal and that was Thousand Trails in Cottonwood, AZ. I really enjoy not having to worry about where we park and being able to get a satellite signal.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

docj 09-29-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverGrowUp (Post 4977049)
I made the switch from.Direct and WI -FI to enjoying the peace.and quiero the great outdoors. who needs the junk on TV.

Just because people like to stream video doesn't mean they're watching "the junk on TV" Most of our video is news followed by entertainment from abroad on services such as Acorn and Britbox. Very little we watch is US network TV.

"Getting away from it all" might be great if you're on vacation for a couple of weeks, but IMO it's not sustainable as a lifestyle for full-timers or others who live in their RVs.

ldfeat 09-29-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechWriter (Post 4966468)
Apparently you went to the wrong 100+ campgrounds. During our 5-month West Coast trip this year to 43 campgrounds, we found about 40% of campgrounds had WiFi that supported streaming (> 5 Mbps). Read all about it.

Ditto that. Forty percent sounds about right for my experience too. I also use Dish Pay As You Go which means I always have the option of turning it on if I need it. Larry 2014 Reyo P

ejpatty 09-29-2019 10:20 PM

Drop satellite for Streaming?
 
[I will probably continue to explore streaming before I drop $2K on a satellite system./QUOTE]


I have a Dish Playmaker and Wally receiver. Both of them ran about $400 on sale. Works for me. $35/mo base. $10/mo news channels. I don't know why anyone would spend $2k for satellite.


We also stream. However, the west coast was bad for reception where we camped from San Diego to Seattle. Verizon, Sprint and ATT.

Phochief 09-29-2019 11:37 PM

Saving by cutting out DirecTV
 
We've had DirecTV for many years at home, and a DirecTV Travelr Dish on the motorhome. For high speed internet at home we use Comcast (Xfinity) cable for about $79/mo at 150 Mbps.

Two months ago we decided it was time to cut out the $200+ DirecTV bill every month.

It turns out that our Comcast (Xfinity) cable internet now has "Xfinity Streaming" which only adds $35 to our internet cable bill. Using the Xfinity streaming app with a Roku in the house and one in the motorhome, we can get most of the same channels, including locals. Plus, it uses the Cloud as a DVR so we can schedule and save our fav programs and if we miss a program there's On Demand available.

It has been working great so far and we're saving a couple hundred bucks a month. Along with Xfinity Streaming, we also have Netflix and Amazon Prime so there's plenty to watch. And, with the WeBoost, WiFiRanger and an AT&T Mobley hotspot, we've never had a problem streaming HD everywhere we've gone.

Only regret is that we didn't cut out DirecTV a lot sooner.

aircommuter 09-30-2019 09:05 AM

We also got rid of DTV, because we finally got cell service at home. I think streaming is the way of the future. I have 2 Mofi routers one take with us and the other to keep the cameras going at home.
I donít see paying that much for something I donít really use. I am primarily a documentary watcher. I have never been interested in filling my brain with useless information. We only had dish as the only source of signal.

Yoders2Go 09-30-2019 09:28 AM

Umm, I have to disagree with that HD locals statement. I can only remember once or twice that we have had to watch the standard locals rather than HD. We've been traveling since 2015, full time.
It is too bad about the Travler, and a journey is the best way to get a good test. Different strokes for different folks.

ParkOwner 09-30-2019 01:56 PM

Most RV parks would prefer you not stream. We took a different approach at our park and installed WiFi that people can use to stream Prime, Netflix or whatever. I bought a DISH as you go in January 2018 and hardly used it (200 channels of Nothing for $80/month) so it's just sitting in a bay right now. I stream most of the time or use my roof antenna if I need some local programming.

gsgriffin 10-03-2019 07:49 AM

Also consider the $40/month unlimited internet option
 
Just posting here in case people didn't see the thread at the top of this section with the option of getting TRUE unlimited internet at $40/month. Lots of follow-up posts from happy people following the instructions, getting a couple items and off they go with the cord cut.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/40-mo...ml#post4758860

az99 10-03-2019 12:18 PM

All this cut the cord and streaming stuff is great but I refuse to sit there and pay to watch endless commercials. With my Hopper 3 I can record more than we watch and then watch what we are paying for, programming. Not commercials.
If Dish ever gets rid of the Hopper I will be gone.

docj 10-03-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by az99 (Post 4982121)
All this cut the cord and streaming stuff is great but I refuse to sit there and pay to watch endless commercials.

I'm not sure why you think that streaming TV means you have to watch commercials. Some streaming services do have commercials but at least some don't. With YouTube TV I can skip through commercials in any programs that I record. Only if I watch Video on Demand (VOD) are there commercials that I can't skip. Since I have a cloud DVR with infinite capacity, there's no reason not to record anything you think you may watch.

SkiSmuggs 10-04-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by az99 (Post 4982121)
All this cut the cord and streaming stuff is great but I refuse to sit there and pay to watch endless commercials. With my Hopper 3 I can record more than we watch and then watch what we are paying for, programming. Not commercials.
If Dish ever gets rid of the Hopper I will be gone.

You are misinformed. Netflix does not have commercials, Amazon Prime does not have commercials, although the $6 Hulu plan has limited commercials, the $12 plan has no commercials. Since you have Dish, I will tell you that I have their streaming app Sling and record my shows so I can skip commercials. True, it is not automatic like the Hopper, but pushing the FF button is not that hard.

SkiSmuggs 10-04-2019 07:35 AM

Streaming apps like Pluto, Tubi, The Roku Channel, etc have commercials because they are FREE and have to support that somehow. Apps like Sling, YouTube TV have commercials because they show a live feed and commercials come with that, but, if you record, you can in most cases, skip the ads.

MidMichHunte 10-09-2019 10:29 AM

Streamers, do you use an external or roof mounted antenna for your cellular? How's the signal strength if ypu do not. I may just run off my Verizon phone/iPad if that's an acceptable solution.

egwilly 10-09-2019 12:06 PM

I find this entire cord-cutting issue very confusing....too many options and variables to wrap my head around. Sticking with Dish until this technology is refined some more.

We stay a some RV resorts that have decent wireless, but not enough to stream. Can't even watch youtube videos. Sometimes barely enough to get mail. Especially at the dinner hour when everyone returns from their day trips.

I don't know how some of you are getting around this.....they control the bandwidth, not us. If there are 100 rigs trying to stream video, common sense tells me that it will slow down to a crawl. That's what we experience all the time.

Maybe someone really knowledgeable out there can enlighten this technology challenged person. :confused:

docj 10-09-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egwilly (Post 4990010)

I don't know how some of you are getting around this.....they control the bandwidth, not us. If there are 100 rigs trying to stream video, common sense tells me that it will slow down to a crawl. That's what we experience all the time.

Maybe someone really knowledgeable out there can enlighten this technology challenged person. :confused:

You are correct that you can't rely on RV Park WiFi for streaming. But the cost of truly unlimited cellular data service has become affordable and many of us carry one or more such hotspots. For example, I have both an unlimited prepaid Verizon hotspot and an unlimited AT&T one through OTR Mobile.

The two of them cost me ~$120/mo which is less than I was paying DirecTV. Between Verizon and AT&T I can count on service nearly everywhere. If I was stationary in a single location I might well drop one of them.

glennwest 10-09-2019 07:01 PM

We got the unlimited Verzion prepay plan. We have streamed tv with a Roko device eversince. We still carry our dish for when we don't have service. Not happend yet.

SkiSmuggs 10-10-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidMichHunte (Post 4989884)
Streamers, do you use an external or roof mounted antenna for your cellular? How's the signal strength if ypu do not. I may just run off my Verizon phone/iPad if that's an acceptable solution.

At this point, I carry a Visible phone and a router with AT&T tablet plan. The router has external antennas. I use whichever is fastest. I had the VZW unlimited 7730L hot spot for a while and used a window mounted external with it to pick up some speed. No roof antenna for now.

lwmcguire 10-10-2019 08:43 AM

When 5g is all across the US streaming might work for millions at a time

We see slower speeds and buffering due to the infrastructure not staying up with demand

I too will wait a few more years and then the streaming will be sorted out with the survivors out front before abandoning my satalite

ParkOwner 10-10-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidMichHunte (Post 4989884)
Streamers, do you use an external or roof mounted antenna for your cellular? How's the signal strength if ypu do not. I may just run off my Verizon phone/iPad if that's an acceptable solution.

I have a cheap WiFi extender mounted to my ladder. Model AC600 ... Different names sell this so just google outdoor WiFi extender AC600. Prior to this I use to just use iPad (Verizon Unlimited) and used an HDMI dongle (Walmart) to plug into TV for streaming. Worked well and still does. Bought outdoor extender for my laptop.

aircommuter 10-10-2019 09:58 AM

I use an outside antenna as signal inside the house is reduced and in my shop with double steel walls is zero. We have an ATT tower that became active in March this year, finally got rid of Hughes-net. No other cell service here to speak of. Verizon bounces in occasionally you may get a text or the phone may ring but you say hello, no one there.
Go 12 miles north and the opposite is the case.

PASi 10-28-2019 12:44 PM

why would you need OTR to do any of this? Why can you not just buy the router device like a Nighthawk and connect it?

Feiter 10-28-2019 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PASi (Post 5015377)
why would you need OTR to do any of this? Why can you not just buy the router device like a Nighthawk and connect it?

What would you connect it to? You need cell service when you are traveling. Look into installing a Winegard Connect 2 and buy the AT&T Sim card for $360/year with unlimited DATA

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Conn...11447262&psc=1

Works great

aircommuter 10-30-2019 07:29 AM

I use an AT&T SIM card in a MOFI,I have 2 each one for travel the other one stays home for the cameras. The best price I have found is $35mo for each.
So where did you get the one for $30mo ?

Feiter 10-31-2019 12:25 AM

Att sim card
 
I got my card at my local AT&T store...$360 lump sum for 12 months have to pay first...walked out with the card and was up and running about 1 hour later.

BTW...if you get the Winegard 2 you must have the 4GLTE + WiFi Unit at $298 to use the ATT SIM CARD

SkiSmuggs 10-31-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PASi (Post 5015377)
why would you need OTR to do any of this? Why can you not just buy the router device like a Nighthawk and connect it?

You need a service with the router. OTR is an AT&T based data only service. Alternatives are Visible (Verizon), AT&T, T-Mobile, MVNO providers, etc. OTR has been around for a while, and at $60/month is more reasonable than VZW, ATT or T-Mobile.
My ideal is something like a MoFi 4500 or KuWfi WE826 router with a SIM from a reasonably priced provider. I like those routers because of the external MiMo antennas that can be replaced with roof top directional or omni antennas which are more effective and a lot cheaper than cell boosters.

wjohnson913 10-31-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgique (Post 4971191)
YouTube TV Question: can you schedule programs to record? If so can it be done on a recurring basis (e.g., record all NCIS showings). Its not clear from reading their site. Thanks.

Sure. You can record whatever shows you like by ďadding them to your libraryĒ function on the cloud based DVR. I donít believe there is a limit on the amount of hours you can record. If there is, I havenít hit Iíd.
Other people have mentioned using firesticks for streaming. They work for Hulu and Netflix and others but do not support YouTube TV (I think itís an Amazon vs Google thing). To stream YouTube TV you need a Roku or Apple TV. Many smart TVs also have the YouTube TV app.

dmp1991 10-31-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feiter (Post 5018938)
I got my card at my local AT&T store...$360 lump sum for 12 months have to pay first..

What did you tell them at the store to get that plan? What's the plan's name?

Is it the TOGO or Airstream restricted plans?

CWSWine 10-31-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjohnson913 (Post 5019344)
Sure. You can record whatever shows you like by ďadding them to your libraryĒ function on the cloud based DVR. I donít believe there is a limit on the amount of hours you can record. If there is, I havenít hit Iíd.
Other people have mentioned using firesticks for streaming. They work for Hulu and Netflix and others but do not support YouTube TV (I think itís an Amazon vs Google thing). To stream YouTube TV you need a Roku or Apple TV. Many smart TVs also have the YouTube TV app.


You Tube TV App was added to the Fire stick a few days ago.

PASi 11-01-2019 02:22 PM

So if i am understanding correctly, I can ditch Dish, get either a Mofi or Verizon Night Hawk and run it through my Verizon unlimited account (which is discontinued if you do not have it anymore). But what about getting internet without going through my phone? Despite Verizon saying it is unlimited, it really is not and we would go through it very quickly.

CWSWine 11-01-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PASi (Post 5020959)
So if i am understanding correctly, I can ditch Dish, get either a Mofi or Verizon Night Hawk and run it through my Verizon unlimited account (which is discontinued if you do not have it anymore). But what about getting internet without going through my phone? Despite Verizon saying it is unlimited, it really is not and we would go through it very quickly.


OR you could by a TOGO on AT&T that I have run over 100 gigs on this last month.

SkiSmuggs 11-02-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PASi (Post 5020959)
So if i am understanding correctly, I can ditch Dish, get either a Mofi or Verizon Night Hawk and run it through my Verizon unlimited account (which is discontinued if you do not have it anymore). But what about getting internet without going through my phone? Despite Verizon saying it is unlimited, it really is not and we would go through it very quickly.

No need to pay that much for a router. A GL-iNet AR750 is what the Visible guys are using to tether their phones. See Post # 10 for a link to the set up in this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/40-mo...ed-442091.html

WVI 11-02-2019 08:06 PM

I believe the Nighthawk can use the SIM from a phone, thus cutting out one component??

SkiSmuggs 11-02-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVI (Post 5022520)
I believe the Nighthawk can use the SIM from a phone, thus cutting out one component??

Right, but I prefer a data SIM. I got the ATT tablet plan for mine and use a Visible phone with the GL iNet as back up or whichever is faster.

WVI 11-03-2019 04:50 PM

Got it.

aircommuter 11-04-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs (Post 5021763)
No need to pay that much for a router. A GL-iNet AR750 is what the Visible guys are using to tether their phones. See Post # 10 for a link to the set up in this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/40-mo...ed-442091.html

I am not familiar with all the routers but I do know that the dual antenna inputs with Mofi makes a big difference when the towers are far away, and if you are camping they should be. So there may be a reason to pay for one. Maybe others offer that also.

SkiSmuggs 11-05-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aircommuter (Post 5025298)
I am not familiar with all the routers but I do know that the dual antenna inputs with Mofi makes a big difference when the towers are far away, and if you are camping they should be. So there may be a reason to pay for one. Maybe others offer that also.

This thread is about the Visible plan which uses cell phones as a hot spot, so you don't need cellular routers like MoFi, KuWfi, Pepwave or Cradlepoint. The recommended router is MiMo dual antenna and is for the purpose of tethering to a cell phone to connect multiple devices.

SkiSmuggs 11-05-2019 08:42 AM

Oops, sorry about the above post, I was in the wrong thread.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.