iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   Drop Satellite for Streaming? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/drop-satellite-for-streaming-462408.html)

Belgique 09-25-2019 11:47 AM

Disregard. From another website I see that you can.

Vanslam 09-25-2019 01:25 PM

I haven't used my satellite dish since I bought my motorhome. I use the normal air antenna, watch dvd's or stream via my mobley mifi or visible hotspot.

cekkk 09-29-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac99 (Post 4966452)
Having stayed in 100+ campgrounds over the last 9 years,
I have never been in one, no matter how expensive a place
it was, that had wifi that would support streaming.

Not sure about 100 here but otherwise x2. And if the park uses TengoInternet I don't even try Sometimes.

NeverGrowUp 09-29-2019 05:28 PM

I made the switch from.Direct and WI -FI to enjoying the peace.and quiero the great outdoors. who needs the junk on TV.

Feiter 09-29-2019 06:11 PM

Recently used AT&T TV Now (was DirecTV Now) and liked it. Have Winegard Connect 2 with unlimited AT&T data at $360 annual. Worked great in all 12 northern states and Midwest.

KWiK 09-29-2019 06:19 PM

We dumped Dish a few months back because of the cost, got rid of dsl and got a verizon unlimited hotspot. We haven't been out much this summer but will get a chance to try it on the road hear in a few weeks. We currently use it at home for all our internet and streaming needs. We do get occasional buffering slowdowns, and occasionally the picture quality will drop for a few seconds, but for the cost difference I am happy with it. We tried sling, hoping we could get a ota antenna to work, but no luck, so we switched to Youtube TV which has our local channels.

Don Juane 09-29-2019 06:31 PM

I cut the cord 20 years ago but I ended up cutting all of them. Make love to the spouse, bake a cake, play some dominoes or cards with friends. Or write a book. You don't need all that BS. Live your life and quit allowing others to instill what you mistake for entertainment or enjoyment. If what other people are doing in an imaginary world is more exciting than what you are doing, then it may be time to re-examine what you are doing.

TechWriter 09-29-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Juane (Post 4977128)
I cut the cord 20 years ago but I ended up cutting all of them. Make love to the spouse, bake a cake, play some dominoes or cards with friends. Or write a book. You don't need all that BS. Live your life and quit allowing others to instill what you mistake for entertainment or enjoyment. If what other people are doing in an imaginary world is more exciting than what you are doing, then it may be time to re-examine what you are doing.

You're an example to us all.

chiefneon 09-29-2019 09:26 PM

Howdy!

It’s been all most two years since we cut the cord and disconnected our Drirectv satellite. We never have used or counted on park WiFi. We have unlimited accounts with AT&T and Verizon. We use AT&T TV (previously know as DirecTV Now) Netflix and Amazon Prime to stream everything we watch. We’ve only stayed at one RV Park we could not get a data signal and that was Thousand Trails in Cottonwood, AZ. I really enjoy not having to worry about where we park and being able to get a satellite signal.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

docj 09-29-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverGrowUp (Post 4977049)
I made the switch from.Direct and WI -FI to enjoying the peace.and quiero the great outdoors. who needs the junk on TV.

Just because people like to stream video doesn't mean they're watching "the junk on TV" Most of our video is news followed by entertainment from abroad on services such as Acorn and Britbox. Very little we watch is US network TV.

"Getting away from it all" might be great if you're on vacation for a couple of weeks, but IMO it's not sustainable as a lifestyle for full-timers or others who live in their RVs.

ldfeat 09-29-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechWriter (Post 4966468)
Apparently you went to the wrong 100+ campgrounds. During our 5-month West Coast trip this year to 43 campgrounds, we found about 40% of campgrounds had WiFi that supported streaming (> 5 Mbps). Read all about it.

Ditto that. Forty percent sounds about right for my experience too. I also use Dish Pay As You Go which means I always have the option of turning it on if I need it. Larry 2014 Reyo P

ejpatty 09-29-2019 10:20 PM

Drop satellite for Streaming?

[I will probably continue to explore streaming before I drop $2K on a satellite system./QUOTE]

I have a Dish Playmaker and Wally receiver. Both of them ran about $400 on sale. Works for me. $35/mo base. $10/mo news channels. I don't know why anyone would spend $2k for satellite.

We also stream. However, the west coast was bad for reception where we camped from San Diego to Seattle. Verizon, Sprint and ATT.

Phochief 09-29-2019 11:37 PM

Saving by cutting out DirecTV

We've had DirecTV for many years at home, and a DirecTV Travelr Dish on the motorhome. For high speed internet at home we use Comcast (Xfinity) cable for about $79/mo at 150 Mbps.

Two months ago we decided it was time to cut out the $200+ DirecTV bill every month.

It turns out that our Comcast (Xfinity) cable internet now has "Xfinity Streaming" which only adds $35 to our internet cable bill. Using the Xfinity streaming app with a Roku in the house and one in the motorhome, we can get most of the same channels, including locals. Plus, it uses the Cloud as a DVR so we can schedule and save our fav programs and if we miss a program there's On Demand available.

It has been working great so far and we're saving a couple hundred bucks a month. Along with Xfinity Streaming, we also have Netflix and Amazon Prime so there's plenty to watch. And, with the WeBoost, WiFiRanger and an AT&T Mobley hotspot, we've never had a problem streaming HD everywhere we've gone.

Only regret is that we didn't cut out DirecTV a lot sooner.

aircommuter 09-30-2019 09:05 AM

We also got rid of DTV, because we finally got cell service at home. I think streaming is the way of the future. I have 2 Mofi routers one take with us and the other to keep the cameras going at home.
I donít see paying that much for something I donít really use. I am primarily a documentary watcher. I have never been interested in filling my brain with useless information. We only had dish as the only source of signal.