iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   10 year old Coaches (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/10-year-old-coaches-463663.html)

Phillieagle 10-01-2019 05:35 PM

10 year old Coaches

I am new to the group and looking to purchase a Class A Motorhome. My wife and I want to travel the US for 12 to 18 months after we retire. We have been looking at many different motor homes and like the Tiffin homes. Our question is we have read and been told many campgrounds do not let Coaches in that are over 10 years old. To get into a Diesel we would probably be looking at coaches that are 10 or more when we actually start traveling. We have found a coach that we like and can afford of the 2013 vintage. Of course with Gas we could get into a newer coach. What are experiences of this 10 year rule. Thanks

littlebob 10-01-2019 05:42 PM

If the rv has been maintained washed/waxed and no body damage you should have no problems, but if it looks really bad that is a nother thing. Some high end rv parks might not let you in.

DebbieMH 10-01-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillieagle (Post 4979700)
I am new to the group and looking to purchase a Class A Motorhome. My wife and I want to travel the US for 12 to 18 months after we retire. We have been looking at many different motor homes and like the Tiffin homes. Our question is we have read and been told many campgrounds do not let Coaches in that are over 10 years old. To get into a Diesel we would probably be looking at coaches that are 10 or more when we actually start traveling. We have found a coach that we like and can afford of the 2013 vintage. Of course with Gas we could get into a newer coach. What are experiences of this 10 year rule. Thanks

Most campgrounds with that restriction ask you to send them a picture of the coach ... and if it looks like it has been taken care of - then it is not a problem.

JaguarAZ 10-01-2019 05:43 PM

We’ve camped in RV parks hundreds of nights and never been asked the age or our coach. I think some parks have that rule so they can turn away junky rigs. I wouldn’t worry about it. If you keep your rig in shape, I doubt you will have a problem anywhere. (Note: our current “new” rig is a 2009 so hitting the 10 year rule. I am totally unconcerned about it)

Bahamaniac 10-01-2019 05:43 PM

Our rig just turned 20. We have never had an Issue getting into a park. But I keep my rig in great condition also. Good luck and welcome!

HJLowell 10-01-2019 06:03 PM

19 year old coach.
Never an issue.

We sent pictures one time, got approval to stay.

Then didnt.

We Found a nicer site 5 miles away that was $200. A month less.

Hugmongous 10-01-2019 06:09 PM

and then the exception...I asked a park recently that overall looked rundown itself and was just flatly told - NO. I asked about sending a photo or bringing it by -- NO. Oh well, they certainly didn't need my $, they didn't have any vacancy anyhow for a couple of months.

ByeTheWay 10-01-2019 06:13 PM

Ours is an '04. I've heard of this rule, but no one has ever asked.

funmoneypit 10-01-2019 06:34 PM

When we had our '04 a year ago, we were asked at two different RV resorts both in Florida. Both very high-end. They just asked a few questions about condition, streaks, etc. After I answered, both parks were fine with us coming without pics.

LPerry 10-01-2019 06:36 PM

I too have stayed a bunch of places and never been asked the age of our coach. It's a 1996, and a little rough around the edges.

I guess we don't stay in fancy enough places for it to be a problem.

lwmcguire 10-01-2019 06:52 PM

This 10 year deal has been in place for about 10 years in many places where we have stayed

However they all went by appearances not age if you requested reservations

I think our very first park we knew that had the rule was Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs

schad 10-01-2019 07:01 PM

Just tell them it's a 2010 (or 2015 or whatever) regardless of its actual model year. What are they going to do, run its VIN?

As a rule I would say that if they don't want your business you shouldn't give it to them. But if I were in your shoes and for whatever reason that wasn't a viable option for me, I would lie and feel absolutely no remorse.

For what it's worth, as long as your coach is cared-for, I'd love to have you as my neighbor. I don't care how old your MH is or if the paint is a little faded. I love looking at those old coaches that are obviously loved.

becks 10-01-2019 07:16 PM

We also have never had a problem with our 2006 MH.

BillJinOR 10-01-2019 07:34 PM

Many of the "10 year" parks are only concerned, if your booking monthly stays. In many parts of the country a monthly stay gives you "apartment rental .. HOME status" and they can not evict you without a several month long process, all the while receiving no payment.
There is always the odd, normally High end resort park that is hard corps on the rule for short stays.
In 4 Years full time, I haven't been turned away anywhere for short stays (2003 coach).... I'm sure the day may come. last year One park outside Phoenix wanted photos for a 2 month stay, I sent them and didn't hear back. I called they said they'd get back to me. They never did so I found a BETTER park and booked it. One day after my arrival at the new Better place the no call place called me ... where are you? We have you down for 2 months! I had totally forgot about them, They never took a deposit. I told them my story and said your loss and hung up.

Rolling Ragu 10-01-2019 07:46 PM

I wouldn't want to be in a park that had this rule. Too uptight for me to relax and enjoy myself. I also don't go to friends homes with white carpet that I have to take my shoes off for.

Hundreds of nights in campgrounds and never came across it. But, we tend to pick woodsy camping over resort.

For 2 years or less of travelling, I would wonder if a newer gas rig is a better choice. Newer interior and you won't have time to drive a tremendous number of miles where a diesel has more advantages.

richard5933 10-01-2019 07:52 PM

We travel in a 45-year-old coach. No one has ever asked, and it's never been a problem.

lwmcguire 10-02-2019 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolling Ragu (Post 4979845)
I wouldn't want to be in a park that had this rule. Too uptight for me to relax and enjoy myself. I also don't go to friends homes with white carpet that I have to take my shoes off for.

Hundreds of nights in campgrounds and never came across it. But, we tend to pick woodsy camping over resort.

For 2 years or less of travelling, I would wonder if a newer gas rig is a better choice. Newer interior and you won't have time to drive a tremendous number of miles where a diesel has more advantages.

Great advice

TXiceman 10-02-2019 08:27 AM

We have run across a few places that enforce the 10 year rule for monthly, but not for nightly use. We had a nice looking older 5er and it got a year newer each year. It was forever a 9 year old trailer. The manufacturer has ceased production well over 10 years prior.

On one forum, we were told of one place that you had to show the registration or insurance on the vehicle at check in. That is going to far and I'd just as soon not stay at their park.

There are also a few class A only parks. One fellow reported that he was not allowed in with his $300K super C but that had class A gassers that cost 1/2 of what his cost in the park.

There are a few folks out there that feel that their RV will catch a disease from being next to an older RV of a trailer. We do not need that kind of drama in out retirement.

Ken

Phillieagle 10-02-2019 08:36 AM

Well Rolling Ragu that brings up the other side of our thought process. In the 18 month US tour we are estimating about 15000 miles on the coach. Would the depreciation on a Diesel over 2 years and 15K miles be greater than the Depreciation on a Gas Coach with an additional 15000 mile on it. My wife has never done this kind of traveling so the next issue would be if she really enjoys it and we end up keeping the coach and not selling.

turnleft 10-02-2019 10:00 AM

when i started rv'ing around 1999 with my 1976 17 foot class c i was asked the age of the coach often. i know[knew] of parks that said no toy haulers or truck campers. years ago i read a workamper post for a golf course that said you must have a 35 foot or longer class a less than 10 years old.
probably the most asked question i got was do i have a working toilet and shower. if i use their showers and toilets all the time while being there longer then a week...bye bye.

zmotorsports 10-02-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbieMH (Post 4979707)
Most campgrounds with that restriction ask you to send them a picture of the coach ... and if it looks like it has been taken care of - then it is not a problem.

^^This. I wouldn't worry about the 10-year rule if it is in good condition and you keep it that way. If you let it go and run it into the ground then yes, you could be turned away.

Keep in mind though the parks that have the 10-year rule are few and far between. There are a couple that we go to and once I sent them a picture of our 2003 Dynasty we are good without any further questioning. The owners of the park in Moab even put a notation in our file on their computer in case we call to make reservations and they are not there so their help doesn't question it.

CountryB 10-02-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebob (Post 4979706)
If the rv has been maintained washed/waxed and no body damage you should have no problems, but if it looks really bad that is a nother thing. Some high end rv parks might not let you in.

The reason for the "10 year old" rule: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s5LoRzW9iM

deaton 10-02-2019 11:03 AM

10 year old Coaches

If you are buying a 10 year old coach, either gas or diesel, the depreciation over a two year period (10 - 12) would be negligible.

It is true that these coaches lose value rapidly, particularly over the first few years. But like most depreciable assets, that value loss rate declines and levels out over time.

When you start seriously looking at 10 year old rigs, you will quickly start to see differences in condition, and that is what governs relative value in coach’s of this vintage.

To address you specific question, my gut feeling is that a diesel would depreciate very little from 10 - 12 years of age and a gas coach a bit more, mainly because DP’s tend to have a better overall structural build quality.

In the overall cost of RV ownership, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Born2RV 10-02-2019 01:17 PM

We've only had a problem with ONE park in the eleven years that we've owned our 2003 Fleetwood Providence. We've always told the truth, and supplied pictures when asked. The one park that turned us down didn't even ask for a picture, and didn't realize that we had already stayed there for a week the previous spring. :rofl: That's ok.....they're too strict for us anyway since I couldn't even put my beach towel over the back of my chair under the awning. :whistling:

Solo_RV_Guy 10-02-2019 01:32 PM

Hi Phillieagle, and welcome to the iRV2 forums.

There is a lot of traffic here about the "10 year rule". Give another couple of weeks and there will be a new thread about it but not much changes.

The 10 year rule varies a fair bit depending on the property type: if you're renting space in an otherwise "full timers" park there's a good chance the lot/space is a deeded property (like a condo) that has the equivalent of a home owners association that was intended to maintain property values. Some of those rules do not apply to lots that are rented out when the owner is not present, some apply no matter what and it all depends on the individual park or camp ground. Mostly these are seen at "RV resort" parks rather than camp grounds.

As I can't take my Class C into those resorts (and have no intention of trying) I'm on the sideline here - I see all the sides to these policies/rules/obsessive-compulsive things - but these types of places do not represent the majority of places you can camp. As was pointed out earlier in the replies most transient guests (as opposed to lot owners) get little scrutiny if your coach is well maintained. If a property really appeals to you an offer to send pictures may be well received by the park or not, but if not there are other places that will welcome your stay.

Good luck and safe travels to you and Mrs Phillie.

tcg 10-02-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryB (Post 4980628)
The reason for the "10 year old" rule: :D

Never will understand why the misfortune of others is amusing.

Falconeer189 10-02-2019 01:41 PM

Never have been declined entrance to a campground touting a 10 year rule, the rule just offers the campground an exit strategy if your coach looks like a salvage yard candidate. Well maintained older coaches say a lot about the owners and persons I like to share a beer with. :dance:

MRUSA14 10-02-2019 02:09 PM

I wouldn’t give a minute’s thought to the “ten year rule”. In almost all cases, it is really only enforced if your coach looks like a junker.

I would take a well-maintained diesel over a gasser even if I had to go much older. The diesel coach quality is superior in many ways that far exceed the drivetrain. The experience of driving a diesel is head and shoulders above a gasser, and it will hold up better than a gasser as it ages. Yes, it will cost more to maintain, so if an additional $1000/yr or more in maintenance is critical to you, then get the gasser.

Let the flames begin.

96Bounder1st 10-02-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRUSA14 (Post 4980837)
I wouldn’t give a minute’s thought to the “ten year rule”. In almost all cases, it is really only enforced if your coach looks like a junker.

I would take a well-maintained diesel over a gasser even if I had to go much older. The diesel coach quality is superior in many ways that far exceed the drivetrain. The experience of driving a diesel is head and shoulders above a gasser, and it will hold up better than a gasser as it ages. Yes, it will cost more to maintain, so if an additional $1000/yr or more in maintenance is critical to you, then get the gasser.

Let the flames begin.

No flames yet:whistling:,
I did go from a gasser to a diesel pusher and other than the ride, comfort of driving and quiet while driving, wouldn’t rate the interior as vastly superior. Superior yes, but not vastly.

The other features of the Pusher are great , the auqahot is one such feature I wanted. Yes it has maintenance also.

Okay , I surrender I would not go back to a gasser unless it was parked mostly at a semi permanent spot or was just used for short trips.

As to the ten year rule, not concerned with it as where I generally use the coach, appearance will matter more than age of my MH.

Sort of made It back on topic.

Terry & Pat

MSHappyCampers 10-02-2019 02:49 PM

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang! :dance:

We've found that most campgrounds with the 10-year rule will let you in if your coach looks nice! We are at one of those campgrounds right now and our coach is 17 years old!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

turnleft 10-02-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcg (Post 4980804)

Schadenfreude

Ray,IN 10-02-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falconeer189 (Post 4980807)
Never have been declined entrance to a campground touting a 10 year rule, the rule just offers the campground an exit strategy if your coach looks like a salvage yard candidate. Well maintained older coaches say a lot about the owners and persons I like to share a beer with. :dance:

Ditto!
Only one time have we been asked the year, when I said 2000, the desk clerks eyes brightened up and she said- wow, sure looks like a new one to me, as she handed me my receipt and site directions.

JFXG 10-03-2019 02:03 AM

Phillieagle..... Welcome to iRV2! You’re in the right place.
My ‘02 Dutch Star is 17 years old, but is in good shape and looks good, unless I’ve been on the road a while. Then it gets pretty grungy. Regardless, in eight years of fulltiming we’ve only encountered this age question twice. In reality it is not a factor, as others have described.
The so-called 10 year rule stems from commercial insurers who underwrite liability coverage for RV parks and campgrounds. I’m told there are only a few of these companies, so they can pretty much write their own rules, within the law.
Technically, the underwriter will not cover any operator who offers long-term accommodation to an RV over 10 years old. Long term is defined as over 30 days. That’s it.
Having said that, there are quite a few operators who use this as a tool to try to maintain some control over their population make up, perhaps to convey some sense of image they want to project. But it’s all of their own doing, and I’d be willing to bet you’ll never run into it unless you frequent RV”resorts”.
Good luck!

dfuelman 10-03-2019 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJinOR (Post 4979835)
Many of the "10 year" parks are only concerned, if your booking monthly stays. In many parts of the country a monthly stay gives you "apartment rental .. HOME status" and they can not evict you without a several month long process, all the while receiving no payment.
There is always the odd, normally High end resort park that is hard corps on the rule for short stays.
In 4 Years full time, I haven't been turned away anywhere for short stays (2003 coach).... I'm sure the day may come. last year One park outside Phoenix wanted photos for a 2 month stay, I sent them and didn't hear back. I called they said they'd get back to me. They never did so I found a BETTER park and booked it. One day after my arrival at the new Better place the no call place called me ... where are you? We have you down for 2 months! I had totally forgot about them, They never took a deposit. I told them my story and said your loss and hung up.

You sound like my kind of guy. I would NEVER beg someone to take my money. I don't do business with folks that Don't return phone calls or Don't show up when they are supposed to.

HJLowell 10-03-2019 02:40 AM

When you are evaluating a coach to purchas ?
And its 10 plus years old. Or two years old

I looked at two similar coaches at PPL
In Texas.
Both about 12 years old, same miles and same model , engine.

I look hard at 3 places.

1. The batteries, battery Box.
One had a dirty, grimy batery box and the cables were corroded bad.

The other looked like you could eat on any one of the batteries. Some one constantly maintained the box and batteries.

2. The engine compartment
One was Pathetically greasy and some compartment insulation was torn and hanging. I was thinking, was the radiator ever serviced ? Flushed, Cleaned ? Was the air filter ever serviced ? It didn't look like it.

3. Fuel filter's
The unit with the greasy battery box and engine had grime and dust, and rust on the fuel filters. NOT GOOD

Those units are xxxxed of the list.

The fuel filters on the second unit were shiny clean and the fuel lines were clean.

As I recall a new poster ask for assistance as he was sitting along the road a few weeks back.
Road service changed his fuel filter and he was on his way again.

He addmited that he had not serviced nor changed fuel filters.

He was a new RV, DP owner of only two plus years. And had no idea that he should service his unit regularly.

Many have only ever owned a car in their lifetime and this is all new to them.
Thank's to this Forum for enlightening new and old owners Alike.

FormerBoater 10-04-2019 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRUSA14 (Post 4980837)

Let the flames begin.

The OP has also stated that they hope to travel 15K miles on their adventure.

Ease of driving , low noise level, ease of service (Speedco for oil and lube service), generator in the front of the coach with very low noise levels are all part of the Diesel Pusher ownership experience.

10 year rule has never been an issue for us and our vintage Eagle is 21 years old.

Depreciation will not be a big factor....only look at units that were the flagship for their manufacturer when they were built is a good approach IMHO.

okcnewbie 10-04-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillieagle (Post 4980413)
..... Would the depreciation on a Diesel over 2 years and 15K miles be greater than the Depreciation on a Gas Coach with an additional 15000 mile on it. .

Over the life of the coach your 15k (versus say 5k) won't matter much.
What you will tend to see on average is 5-6% per year of depreciation. If you spend more than you will tend to lose more.

Ludmilla 10-04-2019 03:28 PM

We have a 2004 for over 7 years and have never had a problem - and we travel a lot. We have had the sidewalls replaced and repainted, so it looks new, so if anyone asks for a photo, we should be fine.

Bookmon 10-04-2019 11:00 PM

We are a 2006 diesel. No problems no where.
May I add. Our Freightliner Class A rides and drives a heck of a lot better than our Class A Ford gas. Lot to be said for not being jarred.

CamJam1 10-05-2019 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillieagle (Post 4980413)
Well Rolling Ragu that brings up the other side of our thought process. In the 18 month US tour we are estimating about 15000 miles on the coach. Would the depreciation on a Diesel over 2 years and 15K miles be greater than the Depreciation on a Gas Coach with an additional 15000 mile on it. My wife has never done this kind of traveling so the next issue would be if she really enjoys it and we end up keeping the coach and not selling.

Hard to know how your wife will take to it, but mine was against me upgrading our 1993 Class C Tioga to a 2004 Class A Dolphin as she felt she didn't really enjoy the trips enough to justify it. I did it anyway, because I had a Class A before I met her and thought she would be much happier with it, plus we are both getting too old to climb into the over-cab bunk of the Tioga. After our first three-week trip she is a changed person. She loves the Class A and can't wait for our next trip. Rear bed, slide-outs, front and rear TVs, a real galley and a real shower make all the difference. For a two year trip just be sure you don't go too small.

valland 10-05-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schad (Post 4979798)
Just tell them it's a 2010 (or 2015 or whatever) regardless of its actual model year. What are they going to do, run its VIN?

As a rule I would say that if they don't want your business you shouldn't give it to them. But if I were in your shoes and for whatever reason that wasn't a viable option for me, I would lie and feel absolutely no remorse.

For what it's worth, as long as your coach is cared-for, I'd love to have you as my neighbor. I don't care how old your MH is or if the paint is a little faded. I love looking at those old coaches that are obviously loved.

I agree, I'm sure there are few who can tell the difference between a 2006 and 2016 but only a few, Most full paints that are clean look great. We had a 2001 Dutch Star it was in great shape but a white Gel coat that looked terrible, my neighbor had a 2002 Dutch Star Full Paint it looked new.

Isaac-1 10-06-2019 12:04 AM

We have a 2002 coach, and have yet to run into the 10 year rule anywhere we would care to travel, though oddly enough, we have reservations at what appears to be an only slightly nicer than average roadside RV park in a couple of weeks that has a statement on their web page "1996 model year RV's only no exceptions". On general principal I would have preferred not patronizing such a place (Black Barts RV campground in Flagstaff), however my wife is flying home, and we needed a place within taxi / uber distance of the airport.

tmw188 10-06-2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwmcguire (Post 4979782)
This 10 year deal has been in place for about 10 years in many places where we have stayed

However they all went by appearances not age if you requested reservations

I think our very first park we knew that had the rule was Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs

That’s funny, because what I could see of Garden of the Gods when driving by it look like a dump.

tmw188 10-06-2019 12:29 AM

10 year old Coaches

I think when it happens it’s at a RV Resort privately owned where snowbirds stay, not just for a couple of nights. This will be my first winter in FL at a new high end resort and they did ask me how old my rig was. I told them a 2005 and they asked me for pictures of all four sides and when I sent them they said NP it looked very nice. I would say typicality you shouldn’t have an issue unless as others said it’s really bad, if so move on.

lwmcguire 10-06-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmw188 (Post 4985570)
That’s funny, because what I could see of Garden of the Gods when driving by it look like a dump.

You're sure you were looking at the right park and not the one next to it

The executive sites nearest Manitou street are usually full of 500k and up coaches

I think you better drive by again

AE Wanderer 10-06-2019 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My coach is a 2008. I have been asked twice. First time, I sent them a pic. Second time, I told them it was a 2011.

No problems either time.
Attachment 262654

HJLowell 10-06-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmw188 (Post 4985570)

Matbe the public park on the North West side.

Full of very high end coaches most of the time .

My Brother lives just East of the Garden of the Gods.

tmw188 10-06-2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwmcguire (Post 4985651)
You're sure you were looking at the right park and not the one next to it

The executive sites nearest Manitou street are usually full of 500k and up coaches

I think you better drive by again

In that case I probably was, thanks for clarifying I didn’t want to drive back out there to check.[emoji4]

stuh101 10-10-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

In 2016 we bought a 2004 Winnebago Vectra and never have been turned away. Keep clean and looking nice is all they want.

calendarboy 10-10-2019 04:00 PM

I had checked some RV values at NADA.

When I got down to the box to enter mileage, it said not to bother if the engine was diesel as it would not affect the value.

I thought that was interesting.

So, yes, you will have more depreciation from putting 15,000 miles on a gas RV than you would on a diesel.

We bought our first RV in March. We got a 2015 diesel pusher with 22,500 miles. I've recently seen RVs for sale that were ten to sixteen years old with less than ten thousand miles on them.

JeffreyVoigt 10-10-2019 04:12 PM

Love our 2005 Travel Supreme Select with 103,000 miles and counting. Keep it looking good and maintained and no issues getting into the parks we want to stay. I have resorts that charge an arm and a leg for a night have that rule but I’m not going to pay that much to stay at one of those parks anyway. I have also had parks request a picture of my coach but only 1

Old coach is easier to maintain just get a good one in excellent shape and keep it that way!

Jstewart2019 10-10-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

We have contacted them directly and asked to submit pictures of the unit and they have accepted. I recently did this for Emerald Coast RV Resort in PCB, FL. Our unit is 2003 Monaco Windsor.

URparamount 10-10-2019 04:46 PM

Hi Phillieagle (we're fans too!) 2001 Safari Trek

I just had to write you - our 2001 Safari Trek (teal & white) certainly qualifies as "old" however in our 3 years of traveling, we were only refused entry to ONE RV park, so I wouldn't worry about it, because at any given area, if there's ONE park, there's usually more! BTW, we're getting ready to sell our RV, but not because it looks old or shabby - it looks great! Enjoy!

Quote:

robisinwa 10-10-2019 05:07 PM

Ours is a 2003 Dynasty... well maintained. We've been asked about the condition when making a reservation as others have noted as well... we've sent photos as others have noted as well.

I never take the request as an insult or get miffed about it; I'm actually glad they ask since that will typically mean they have standards and don't want jalopies sitting in their spaces.

I think this 'screening' process is only getting to become more common as more old RV's are still out there on the roads but being used by otherwise homeless individuals.

bclaar 10-10-2019 05:19 PM

The only RV resort that would not let us in with a coach older than 10 years is Naples RV resort. The other places with this rules let us send pics and let us in with no problems. Naples would not even agree to look at pics. Good luck with your new coach!

BLPTers 10-10-2019 05:23 PM

We're park owners with an over night park. We get all kinds pulling in & frankly it can be scary seeing what people are driving/pulling. Here's my recommendation - find a RV inspector who's qualified to rate your older campers. We recently had a tiny home pull in for a few days - she got a little peeved that I asked if she had it RVIA inspected and placarded, but turns out she did. If she hadn't we would not have allowed her to come here. The reason is the effect faulty equipment can have on our water, sewer & electric systems. It's as much for you safety as it is for ours. We get a lot of renovated older campers and tin cans (LOVE THEM!) but we always recommend they get a new placard if they haven't done so.
Ok - no one wants a junker in their park but the biggest worry is that your campers are in good working order - you expect the same from us as well.

And some parks are just snobby!

JerryTaylor 10-10-2019 05:29 PM

I am driving a 2005 Pace Arrow. I have never had any question about age of the coach. I expect that a coach that looks like it is falling apart may be subject to scrutiny.

Swymmer 10-10-2019 05:33 PM

Only 10 years old?

I gotta share this story...
My Brother-in-law Bill did a really cool "Barn Find". Seems a guy that hired him to do a home remodel had a NEVER USED all original 1972 Winnebago Class A tucked away under tarps in his barn! The guy was too big to comfortably get through the RV door so he never drove it. The RV had only 1100 miles on it, put on by the factory delivery driver!
The RV was spotless, had the original clear coat shine and original plastic on the toilet and mattress.
After Bill got it R&R'd with fresh gas and filters, etc. he asked one of the "high-end RV parks near his home if he could stay for a weekend. They looked at the pictures and then drove to Bill's home to look in person. They not only invited him to stay they arranged for a magazine spread to be photoed!
Everywhere he went the RV drew a crowd. He even showed at several classic car shows!

richard5933 10-10-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLPTers (Post 4991663)
We're park owners with an over night park. We get all kinds pulling in & frankly it can be scary seeing what people are driving/pulling. Here's my recommendation - find a RV inspector who's qualified to rate your older campers. We recently had a tiny home pull in for a few days - she got a little peeved that I asked if she had it RVIA inspected and placarded, but turns out she did. If she hadn't we would not have allowed her to come here. The reason is the effect faulty equipment can have on our water, sewer & electric systems. It's as much for you safety as it is for ours. We get a lot of renovated older campers and tin cans (LOVE THEM!) but we always recommend they get a new placard if they haven't done so.
Ok - no one wants a junker in their park but the biggest worry is that your campers are in good working order - you expect the same from us as well.

And some parks are just snobby!

Where does one get an older RV inspected and placarded like you're talking about? I thought that RVIA only does inspections at the manufacturer's location, not on older RVs. I do see where there are NRVIA certified inspectors, but the two organizations don't appear to be the same thing. Some more information would be helpful, as I'd consider getting our coach inspected and placarded if it would help.

docj 10-10-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryTaylor (Post 4991676)
I am driving a 2005 Pace Arrow. I have never had any question about age of the coach. I expect that a coach that looks like it is falling apart may be subject to scrutiny.

We drive a 2000 Beaver. Even though we're going to do a partial repaint this winter, most people think it is nearly new. No one has ever asked us its age.

Billcmo 10-10-2019 05:51 PM

Most of the parks that would not let you into the park if you were 10 years old or high end RV Resorts. This is the minority of parks. So it should not be a problem. Just take care of your coach and keep it clean and waxed. If buying used make sure to get caught up on all the maintenance and make sure you have new tires. Good idea to get someone to inspect it for you before you buy also so you know what works and what needs fixing. Happy Trails! RVing is fun. BTW, we have owned two Tiffins and drive one now. Love the product.

BellOnWheels 10-10-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure that was an "in use" RV. My guess is it was on it's way to a junk yard for recycling. Certainly it should not be on the road, if for no other reason than the safety of others. So not likely any Scadenfreude here, just a humorous exaggeration of the 10 year rule.

edaa53 10-10-2019 06:12 PM

Exclusive Resort

Unless you want to go to a exclusive resort - one that comes to mind is Blue Water south of Marathon. Don't be concerned. I have a 2006 5er - nice rig - NuWa Discover America. Another exclusive was in Everglades.

craigtoups 10-10-2019 06:15 PM

We bought a 2008 Tiffin 32 foot deisel puller. Have had no issues all summer all over Washington State in private and State parks. We love it.

Glensouth 10-10-2019 06:17 PM

Been motorhoming 23 years and never asked the age of my coach. See some of the other post about maintaining your coach

robertkathy 10-10-2019 06:29 PM

The wife and i have been in the rv since june and it is an 06 we have yet to be denied access to a park and most have the rule

titan85rv 10-10-2019 06:41 PM

That was my thought as well

I have a old RV and just got back from az went 7 states, i thought the same thing when i baught my first RV but no problems at all, but some have requirements like a poop tub riser, bring extra water filters they tend to fill up faster at some of the fill up stations. And milk n butter can be harder to find in some places at inexpensive prices. oh and mud flaps are required in AZ.
Call ahead for most places they will save you a spot if it's a popular area. Boon dock is always better unless you need hookups.

jamesham 10-10-2019 06:50 PM

Not really a problem

Yes, a few private parks have and enforce the 10 year rule. Some parks around Naples, FL not only have the age limit but also will only accept Class A large bus-type motorhomes....no Class C, TT, and 5th wheels.

But we have a 1996 Class C and have never found age discrimination to be a big problem. Most RV park personnel have no idea how old an RV is because they fail to recognize even obvious things like the van-design-grille on a Class C. So you can call it whatever you want because we have never been asked for license and registration paperwork to prove it.

You will find private parks trying to enforce the 10 year rule during snowbird season in FL and AZ because they are full and can sell every space they have, therefore they can be picky. If you have no body damage, keep it clean and waxed, it is not an issue. Compared to some of the rental coaches that are rolling billboards, an older motorhome that has been cared for is a gem. In many campgrounds there are older junk trailers that look like they died there, and that drags down the entire park. Look at the KOA in Naples, FL as an example.

Fort Wilderness in Walt Disney World is possibly one of the best campground in the USA, and they NEVER ask age of RV. State and Federal parks have some length restrictions, but never ask age.

Quote:

I am new to the group and looking to purchase a Class A Motorhome. What are experiences of this 10 year rule. Thanks

904Dave 10-10-2019 07:21 PM

We have a 12 year old coach and have never been declined by a campground or high end motor coach resort. You get a lot for your money with a gently used 8-10 year old diesel coach. We had a gas rig for 12 years and have been running our diesel about a year. We wish we had moved up sooner, there’s a big difference. Enjoy your adventure.

GORD CURRIE 10-10-2019 07:21 PM

Older than 10 years

Quote:

I have a 2005 Travel Supreme Select 45DS04 and have phoned some parks that have the 10 year rule in BC and found their rent is so high I would not stay there anyway. Get a Coach that has lots of Battery Power and a Good Genset Than camp where ever you want to stop. My Coach has 8 6Volt for the house and 2 12 volt for starting my 500 HP Cummins ISM Engine. This Travel Supreme is all electric and the big House hold Fridge runs for over 16 hrs before I start my 12500 KW Genset to charge Batteries while cooking or using the Heat pumps or Air Conditioning. The Best is to drive in and show them how good your MH looks and than they might over look their Rule but check their rates cause the rates are getting so high there iS no sense owning a Motor Home unless it is self contained and you can say to hell with the Parks just park where it is FREE!!!!

Hackercraft 10-10-2019 08:33 PM

We have a 2004 National Sea Breeze gas 34’ and have never been questioned about the age of our coach. National built a high end coach and that may be a part of the reason as we keep it up and clean and polished. The appearance of the coach that you get will go a long way both in your pride and the way you are treated.

Johnny Bravo 10-10-2019 11:45 PM

My rig is 20 years old as well. While I haven't done a lot of RV parks I did one last week in Vegas. They did asl what year my rid was, but once they saw it wasn't 't trashed they let me in no problem.

Piros1 10-11-2019 12:09 AM

My coach is a 2005 Country Coach and have never been turned away due to age. Only time I have had issues is when the park is full. Most don’t believe it is as old as it until I tell them.

Richnewman 10-11-2019 03:47 AM

We have a 2001 Tiffin Bus 40’. We purchased it a year ago and we have spent the last year adding new tires, batteries, belts, oil and fuel filters, brake pads, and several other gotcha items. All I can say is check the records on the coach if you can. Who ever had ours did little maintenance on it.

Hopefully we’re good to go and we’re headed to Florida from Michigan next spring. We did about 26 days of camping in Michigan at three different parks, some with 10 year rules and had no problems. I went DP for ride and dependability. Wish us luck on our next longer journey. Enjoy your new old DP.

Jy001 10-11-2019 05:43 AM

Restored 1993 Foretravel GV here... we've never had a problem.

That said, we tend to stay away from parks like that.

tlgood 10-11-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

When we started looking at going on the road for our business, I quickly noticed the massive differences in the build of many of the DP motorhomes vs many of the gas ones. I was very tempted to go newer but decided to go backward a few years instead. We ended up with a 2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador which had about 43000 miles on it, had LOTS of maintenance records and was very clean. The owner told me the good and bad and I appreciate that! It's been a great experience but just understand that with an older coach, you'll just have to be prepared for doing some repairs. We have put on a new AC, just replaced the refrigerator cooling unit (YEAH for JC Refrigeration!!) and a new inverter in the last 2 years. But all of this will last for MANY more years and I'm still WAY in the black vs buying a new coach. By the way, you won't go wrong with a well maintained Tiffin. Check the roof and chassis maint. Just my thoughts.

BruceDeville 10-11-2019 09:17 AM

My "new" motorhome is a 2000 model. Yes some upscale RV Resort type parks do get picky. For my life style I would never stay in one of those types of parks. They usually have a list of all the things you cannot do and it out numbers the list of things you can do. Federal and state camp grounds never have age restrictions. I did stay in one park in the Dallas area that was motorhome "age" restricted. We call them and they said no problem.

So your life style will really be the key factor in your decision.
Bruce Deville
KE5CPL
Shreveport, Louisiana

Bo233 10-11-2019 09:46 AM

I say if they don't want you RV they don't want your money. If they don't like my rig then they really will not like me.

Diesel-Lover 10-11-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richnewman (Post 4992225)
We have a 2001 Tiffin Bus 40’. We purchased it a year ago and we have spent the last year adding new tires, batteries, belts, oil and fuel filters, brake pads, and several other gotcha items. All I can say is check the records on the coach if you can. Who ever had ours did little maintenance on it.

Hopefully we’re good to go and we’re headed to Florida from Michigan next spring. We did about 26 days of camping in Michigan at three different parks, some with 10 year rules and had no problems. I went DP for ride and dependability. Wish us luck on our next longer journey. Enjoy your new old DP.

Well look at the bright side, many are blessed with new coaches at a quarter of a million or more and have to spend lots of energy and time taking care of tons of issues, it may be under warranty but the pain and suffering as well as the depreciation well it adds up more than the cost of upfitting a coach with fresh wear and tear items many times, as you know now you have the warranty on those items and repairs in your pocket as well as the peace of mind.

Enjoy the coach, sing like no one is listening while driving (buy the wife noise cancelling headphones first). And stop before the cop walks up to the window!

There is a bright side to all situations most of the time eh.

Mr.Mark 10-11-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

I don't think the video is showing amusement at the misfortune of others. This video is showing the lack of safety to the others on the road!!!

This guy doesn't even have a full set of rear lights, and, dragging on the road??? If the rear cap were to fall off and come through your windshield killing you or your passenger, then you will understand the safety aspect.

This vehicle should not be on the road.

Safe travels,
Mark

RussLatimer 10-11-2019 01:35 PM

10 Year Old Coaches

Quote:

We may be a real exception. We have a 1993 Bounder 32' purchased new with 34K miles. We keep it clean, waxed and looking new and have never had a problem. However .... we have not traveled extensively throughout the US. I think keeping your rig looking good is the secret.

JorgeJoselyn 10-11-2019 05:15 PM

10 year RuleY

Quote:

We have a 2007 Alfa diesel motor home and have never encountered this 10 year old rule. I believe that our home is well kept and hope to have it for at least ten more years. If there is a campground that does not want us do to the age of the coach, I will never return and will spread the word to all my camper friends not to use the campground. It is ridiculous that you would have to invest thousands of dollars just to keep others happy. I will tell you that our goal is to visit all the National Parks and stay a week in each one of them. So far, not once have we been denied access to any campground based on the age of the coach. Tiffins are great coaches and the company is well respected by all of us. Enjoy your time with a coach that you can afford without worrying about the age of the coach. Hope to see you in a camping area someday.

Jorge and Joselyn

Trippinonit 10-11-2019 05:32 PM

I’ve had issues with parks in Texas. 10 year rule was strictly enforced. I have a beautiful 07 Sportscoach. Most places in Florida ask for pics. Never had a problem there. Parks in Austin in particular are pains in the butt!!

Jimbmann 10-12-2019 05:31 AM

Stop and think about it, if you owned a park, what would you be looking for? you don't want someone dragging in a canned ham dirtier than hell, twenty-nine thousand kids hanging out of the window, a ragged out p/u truck, and the driver looks like he or she has not had a shower in two weeks. If the camper was clean, p/u truck looked nice, kids well behaved, parents decent, probably wouldn't be a issue.

Jimbmann 10-12-2019 05:33 AM

I would be more concerned about the size, size does matter! over thirty feet is questionable.

Richnewman 10-12-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover (Post 4992584)
Well look at the bright side, many are blessed with new coaches at a quarter of a million or more and have to spend lots of energy and time taking care of tons of issues, it may be under warranty but the pain and suffering as well as the depreciation well it adds up more than the cost of upfitting a coach with fresh wear and tear items many times, as you know now you have the warranty on those items and repairs in your pocket as well as the peace of mind.

Enjoy the coach, sing like no one is listening while driving (buy the wife noise cancelling headphones first). And stop before the cop walks up to the window!

There is a bright side to all situations most of the time eh.

Thanks Diesel-Lover, That's what I tell the wife every time we upgrade something. I could have stretched the budget another $50K, but I would still be looking at replacing the same basic maintenance items, tires, batteries, oil, filters, etc and paying more per month to the bank. Were hoping for at least three years and feel confident with the Tiffin brand.

dpsdebi7 10-12-2019 07:52 PM

Beauty Before Age

1 Attachment(s)
We have a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton and everybody thinks it's a new one. Tiffin is the way to go.

Piros1 10-12-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

There is a lot of really nice used coaches out there, Tiffin, Newmar, Country Coach, Entegra, just to name a few and not intentionally leaving any out. I wouldn’t let the ten year rule worry me as others have said. The advantages and disadvantages of a new coach are that it is new and will most likely have some issues that you will be inconvenienced by and have to take it in for service and repair. Hopefully they would be minor and the dealer can handle in a timely manor but if you check the forums that is not always the case and may end up getting you stranded without your coach. My only new RV was a Toy Hauler fifth wheel (no names mentioned) spent over six months of its first year at the dealer for repairs and again shortly after the year was up but they did fix most everything to my approval. I think the ten year rule seems to be somewhat of a way to keep some poorly cared for rigs out and keeps an older trailer from being backed in next to a million dollar coach.
I know there has been mention of new coaches costing a quarter of a million dollars but the reality is most cost way above that. A small pusher or gasoline rig yes but not a big chassis 40’ up pusher. So my point to my long winded post is don’t worry about the warranty or the ten year rule. Make an educated decision and purchase a coach that has a “floor plan” you want with enough power to satisfy your needs. If you are a driver that feels comfortable at 55-65 mph then you don’t need the big monster engine that the guy who likes to run the speed limit and not slow down on the hills.
Another thing to consider is if you get the opportunity to test drive a few so you can get the feel for them is a good idea. My preference will always be a big engine, side radiator, with a tag. I’ve had both a rear and side radiator and a single rear and a tag axle coach. The tag axle coach handles the road and the wind much bettering the rear radiator is much easier to work on the engine.
I think the poster before me mentioned they have a Tiffin Phaeton and from their photo a very attractive coach too. This is a very good coach from what I have heard. They are what I refer to as a large chassis coach and this generally is better than the lighter coaches. Just my two cents worth. Price point for some reason the Tiffin Coaches seem to be a better value in the used market than say a Newmar.
I have a 2005 Country Coach at this time and it is a very well made coach, from what I have seen first hand better than most and would recommend you look at these too if you don’t mind an older coach. Last one they produced was 2009 but don’t let that bother you because all the parts are common to a lot of other high end coaches. Also they still offer a customer service help line with a lot of ex CC employees backing it. Winnebago now owns them as do they own Newmar. I have had 8 different RV’s two being Winnebago and most likely won’t be owning another. Get out there find something you like and get on the road. Enjoy your retirement.

dmevis 10-13-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Our question is we have read and been told many campgrounds do not let Coaches in that are over 10 years old.

It is not "many" campgrounds, it is only a very few campgrounds. And if your RV looks nice and doesn't have body damage or assorted crap strapped to the RV, you will have no problem.

PartyBoyWA 10-13-2019 06:17 PM

Don't ask, don't tell...

Based on my experience, I doubt most folks actually working the RV park would have any sense to judge how old an RV is. They just know when one looks like it's maintained by cousin Eddie. And cousin Eddie is not welcome.

I've been id'd before. Sent pics. No problems. I can only imagine that the snootiest of the snootiest parks would be absolute about the 10 year rule. In that case, that's not my kind of crowd.
https://img1.etsystatic.com/068/0/91...05951_luax.jpg

pjenk51 10-15-2019 06:18 AM

To quote Groucho, "I wouldn't want to be a belong to a club that would have me as a member"

RWDJR. 10-15-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpsdebi7 (Post 4994438)
We have a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton and everybody thinks it's a new one. Tiffin is the way to go.

Coach looks nice, where was the photo taken?

Piros1 10-16-2019 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piros1 (Post 4994489)
There is a lot of really nice used coaches out there, Tiffin, Newmar, Country Coach, Entegra, just to name a few and not intentionally leaving any out. I wouldn’t let the ten year rule worry me as others have said. The advantages and disadvantages of a new coach are that it is new and will most likely have some issues that you will be inconvenienced by and have to take it in for service and repair. Hopefully they would be minor and the dealer can handle in a timely manor but if you check the forums that is not always the case and may end up getting you stranded without your coach. My only new RV was a Toy Hauler fifth wheel (no names mentioned) spent over six months of its first year at the dealer for repairs and again shortly after the year was up but they did fix most everything to my approval. I think the ten year rule seems to be somewhat of a way to keep some poorly cared for rigs out and keeps an older trailer from being backed in next to a million dollar coach.
I know there has been mention of new coaches costing a quarter of a million dollars but the reality is most cost way above that. A small pusher or gasoline rig yes but not a big chassis 40’ up pusher. So my point to my long winded post is don’t worry about the warranty or the ten year rule. Make an educated decision and purchase a coach that has a “floor plan” you want with enough power to satisfy your needs. If you are a driver that feels comfortable at 55-65 mph then you don’t need the big monster engine that the guy who likes to run the speed limit and not slow down on the hills.
Another thing to consider is if you get the opportunity to test drive a few so you can get the feel for them is a good idea. My preference will always be a big engine, side radiator, with a tag. I’ve had both a rear and side radiator and a single rear and a tag axle coach. The tag axle coach handles the road and the wind much bettering the rear radiator is much easier to work on the engine.
I think the poster before me mentioned they have a Tiffin Phaeton and from their photo a very attractive coach too. This is a very good coach from what I have heard. They are what I refer to as a large chassis coach and this generally is better than the lighter coaches. Just my two cents worth. Price point for some reason the Tiffin Coaches seem to be a better value in the used market than say a Newmar.
I have a 2005 Country Coach at this time and it is a very well made coach, from what I have seen first hand better than most and would recommend you look at these too if you don’t mind an older coach. Last one they produced was 2009 but don’t let that bother you because all the parts are common to a lot of other high end coaches. Also they still offer a customer service help line with a lot of ex CC employees backing it. Winnebago now owns them as do they own Newmar. I have had 8 different RV’s two being Winnebago and most likely won’t be owning another. Get out there find something you like and get on the road. Enjoy your retirement.

Edit to my post regarding the rear radiator I meant to point out that a side radiator is much easier coach to work on over a rear radiator and that a tag axle coach generally handles the wind and the road better.

dpsdebi7 10-16-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsdebi7 View Post

RWDJR
"Coach looks nice, where was the photo taken?"

Photo was taken at Lakeview Campground, Taylor Reservoir, Colorado..