iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Cummins Engines (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Engine mess (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/engine-mess-463833.html)

ken bauer 10-02-2019 08:36 PM

Engine mess

3 Attachment(s)
-I just noticed oil on the left side of my engine compartment and wondering if anyone has experienced this oil mess on there engine. I looked around but I can't see where the oil is coming from. When I open the back engine cover it is just to the left help please.

THenne1713 10-02-2019 09:24 PM

I had a similar mess on my GEN shortly after buying rig, cleaned it up; when I noted it returned quickly after the weekly run, I reached over and grabbed OIL FILTER, and realized it was so loose, It was about to blow off.

THenne1713 10-02-2019 09:28 PM

BTW, SIMPLE GREEEN did an amazing job cleaning it up :-)

Ray,IN 10-02-2019 11:05 PM

The pictures make it appear the mess is above the oil filter. I would do as THenne said and clean the engine with Simple Green, blow dry with your leaf blower, then closely monitor for new oil residue every day of use. That to me appears to be a slow long-term oil leak for it to accumulate so much dirt in a concentrated area.

CountryB 10-07-2019 08:02 AM

If you have an older engine with the crankcase breather tube just dumoing straight to ground, you cant get that oil mist when the engine has some blowby under load (normal condition). it will send out some oil mist and the air movement around engine while driving will send to the rear (sometimes on Toad). If that is the cause, you can try putting a "catch bottle" on the end of the breather tube.

ray999 10-11-2019 10:18 AM

Breather tube oil drops make a mess when traveling. Itís blows all over the place with the draft created in the rear. People have fixed by attaching a old peanut butter jar to catch it.

winniman 10-11-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray999 (Post 4992639)
Breather tube oil drops make a mess when traveling. Itís blows all over the place with the draft created in the rear. People have fixed by attaching a old peanut butter jar to catch it.

Better to extend it down below the engine. I added about a foot piece of rubber hose on mine.

THenne1713 10-13-2019 11:17 PM

Is the PCV working correctly? Or just excessive ring blowby?

ken bauer 10-14-2019 10:59 PM

what is the PVC?

tom chelbana 10-14-2019 11:47 PM

PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation Might check dip stick for a tight fit. Had a 500 ISM that was the problem with oil leaking.

THenne1713 10-15-2019 06:09 AM

PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation is a Valve and hose mounted on the Valve COVER; valve will usually last 100,000 miles, but hose can also come loose, or come out of the valve cover affecting the crankcase pressure and blowby effects.

CountryB 10-16-2019 02:25 PM

Diesel engines do not use a PCV. Those are used on gasoline engines where engine vacuum is produced and used to pull crankcase vapors back into the induction system to be burned.

Diesel engines use a "breather" tube. Most (pre-2006) use an "open breather" where the oil mist/blow-by gases exit to the the atmosphere. The newer diesel engines use a "closed crankcase breather" where a filter catches the oil (mist) separates the liquid form the gas, and returns the liquid oil to the oil pan. The clean (oil free) gases are then routed back to the intake side of the turbo.
Works fine unless the engine has a lot of blow by or the Crankcase filter/separator is not services and then it becomes saturated and oil mist goes to turbo (not good) then the engine will set a trouble code for high CVP.