iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Fuel in Arizona? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fuel-in-arizona-464618.html)

LK23 10-09-2019 12:18 AM

Fuel in Arizona?

I plan to get diesel fuel in Arizona tomorrow at Pilot in Tonopah. Please enlighten me on the cost differential for using the truck lanes. Based on Google Maps it will be difficult to get into the auto lanes.

Fanukalum 10-09-2019 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LK23 (Post 4989503)
I plan to get diesel fuel in Arizona tomorrow at Pilot in Tonopah. Please enlighten me on the cost differential for using the truck lanes. Based on Google Maps it will be difficult to get into the auto lanes.

I don't believe there is any difference in price for fuel in the truck lane vs the auto lane at the same station. Fuel does tend to be some what cheaper at sites other than truck stops ie Loves, Flying J's, Pilots. These sites prices for fuel is marked up to reflect the extras they provide ( shower, air, whatever) and the corporate discounts given the trucking companies.
Depending on the size of your rig and what you might be towing it can be worth the extra cents for fuel, rather than fight the tight maneuvering and time lost waiting for the right pumps to open.
I use a discount card from Good Sam's to save on fuel (Gas and Diesel) at pilots and flying J's and you can save some more if you pay cash!
The only thing that I find to be a pain is, sometime I can't pay at the pump and I have to go inside , wait in line and try to estimate what it will take to fill up .

dp7 10-09-2019 01:37 AM

Quote:

I use the Pilot truck lanes for their easy access. In Arizona there is a truck tax that is automatically included in the pump price at the truck lanes. This is not the case at the auto pumps. After filling up at the truck lanes, I go inside and let them know I fueled a motorhome and request a refund of the truck tax. Often times the clerk needs the managers help with the refund. If I recall correctly, the tax is around 8 cents a gallon.

Fanukalum 10-09-2019 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dp7 (Post 4989514)
I use the Pilot truck lanes for their easy access. In Arizona there is a truck tax that is automatically included in the pump price at the truck lanes. This is not the case at the auto pumps. After filling up at the truck lanes, I go inside and let them know I fueled a motorhome and request a refund of the truck tax. Often times the clerk needs the managers help with the refund. If I recall correctly, the tax is around 8 cents a gallon.

Wow I did not know that about the truck tax. I just so happen to be in AZ with a planned fillup in the AM. I just left CA and was so delighted not to have had to buy fuel in that state. I lucked out trying to provide an answer to a question that I knew nothing about. Sure feel silly. Sorry LK23 for the the unneccesary dribble but thanks for the post and Thanks dp7 for the great tip and explanation:o:o

FLJOE 10-09-2019 05:08 AM

I haven't applied for the discount fuel card and set that up yet, so I'm still fueling at Pilot and Flying J truck lanes.

With the Pilot card and the Pilot app I can fuel and never go inside for the receipt. My card activates the pump for fuel and DEF. The receipt is on my app before I ever drive away from the pump. My discount is only .9 per gallon but I like fresh fuel plus being 73' long I certainly would never try to squeeze in fuel lanes meant for cars and pickups.

Tranquil Jim 10-09-2019 01:20 PM

We, too, use the PFJ RV Plus discount card and like the fact that I don't have to go in and have the pump activated and authorize a credit amount...and, then go back in to get a receipt. All that is done at the pump by just inserting the card in the reader.

TJ

BobGed 10-09-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLJOE (Post 4989542)
I haven't applied for the discount fuel card and set that up yet, so I'm still fueling at Pilot and Flying J truck lanes.

With the Pilot card and the Pilot app I can fuel and never go inside for the receipt. My card activates the pump for fuel and DEF. The receipt is on my app before I ever drive away from the pump. My discount is only .9 per gallon but I like fresh fuel plus being 73' long I certainly would never try to squeeze in fuel lanes meant for cars and pickups.

In AZ anytime you fuel at the truck pumps, regardless of the form of payment, you will be paying the additional 8Ę fuel tax. However you can go inside and have that portion refunded to you. I never bothered since it really didn't amount to much.

If you fuel at the RV pumps on the retail side of the store you are not charged the additional tax.

ficodek 10-09-2019 03:29 PM

I highly recommend signing up for the RV fuel purchase program offered by TSD Logistics. You can Google them and find it on their home page. You'll save up to 40-50 cents per gallon at Love's and other truck stops and you pay at the pump, no need to go inside. Thousands of us have joined already. On a recent 6500 mile trip I saved literally hundreds of dollars. Check it out!

georgeaz 10-09-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

There is extra tax for trucks. Just tell them you have an RV they will take some money off.

G

Kountry 2SUM 10-09-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ficodek (Post 4990200)
I highly recommend signing up for the RV fuel purchase program offered by TSD Logistics. You can Google them and find it on their home page. You'll save up to 40-50 cents per gallon at Love's and other truck stops and you pay at the pump, no need to go inside. Thousands of us have joined already. On a recent 6500 mile trip I saved literally hundreds of dollars. Check it out!

X2 on TSD! Saved as much as .70 per gallon over pump price in Vegas. Prices are good at all major truck stops. The EFS app has a price locator that makes it very easy to find the best price and plan your stops. You can pay at the pump and never go inside with this card as well. Its the best deal I’ve come across.

vsheetz 10-09-2019 11:42 PM

Sometimes there will be diesel pumps marked light diesel. That's without the additional tax.

crockdar 10-10-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobGed (Post 4990157)
In AZ anytime you fuel at the truck pumps, regardless of the form of payment, you will be paying the additional 8Ę fuel tax. However you can go inside and have that portion refunded to you. I never bothered since it really didn't amount to much.

If you fuel at the RV pumps on the retail side of the store you are not charged the additional tax.

Several of the Loveís Iíve used have a separate lane or two in the truck area that excludes the tax. You donít always have to pay it.

bigchick 10-10-2019 09:13 PM

it's already been mentioned but AZ taxes diesel at two different rates depending on whether it is for commercial or non-commercial usage. the rates are $.26/gal for commercial and $.18/gal for non-commercial. if you go to a major truck stop with truck lanes in the back and auto lanes in the front the pumps are set for the $.26 in the truck lanes and $.18 in the auto lanes. a smaller station may only have one tax rate for all pumps. look at the pump and there will be a silver tag on it from the state that describes the tax rate for that pump.

anybody can fill at a pump with the commercial tax rate. if you are not a commercial vehicle you can go to the attendant and request an $.08/gal cash refund and they are obligated to refund this amount. this is also described on the silver sticker for the pumps that have the commercial rate. if it is a non-commercial pump it is unlawful for a commercial vehicle to use the pump.

where it gets interesting is in the price the station advertises on their highway price display signs. you can have two stations near each other with one advertising the their commercial rate and the other their non-commercial rate. sometimes it is cheaper to go to the higher priced station and get the rebate. i have also seen stations that advertise both diesel rates. they are called heavy use (commercial) and light use (non-commercial).

bigchick 10-10-2019 09:18 PM

i should have added that the tax rebate has nothing to do with how you pay for the fuel or any discounts you receive from your credit card or fuel card used to buy the fuel. if the pump is taxed at the $.26/gal commercial rate and you are non-commercial you are entitled to a $.08/gal rebate FROM THE STATE, paid by the station at time of purchase.