iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class B Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f259/)
-   -   Recommendations for a Class B or B+ (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f259/recommendations-for-a-class-b-or-b-464666.html)

Our Dreams 10-09-2019 12:57 PM

Recommendations for a Class B or B+

Looking for Class B or B+ Camper Van Suggestions to fulfill my dream. :thumb:
I would like to purchase a Class B or B+ (preferably used) as I want to travel to/explore, and “stealth camp” in cities and towns, as well as, boondock in the country. Also, I would like the RV to be able to go “off the grid” and be “four seasons” ready as possible. One other additional concern would be that I must run an air conditioner for a few hours daily (minimum) using battery power vs. using a generator as I have three dogs that would stay in the RV while I explored or took care of chores in the city or town I was visiting.

For example, I have looked at the Winnebago Bolt which would fill my requirements, but I cannot afford the retail price of $206,944.00.

I am will add all the suggestions and websites that will be mentioned to my research list. I am deeply grateful for all your time and help. :bow:

okcnewbie 10-09-2019 01:32 PM

If you're not tied to a particular town because of obligations than you could forgo large solar array and four seasons requirements. That would save you a lot of money.
Stay out of the south during the warmer months.

Good luck on your dream. I'm chasing/planning on my own right now!

MWeiner 10-09-2019 05:10 PM

If you want to be "stealth"; go for a true Class B - not a B plus

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Our Dreams (Post 4990063)
I would like to purchase a Class B or B+ (preferably used) as I want to travel to/explore, and “stealth camp” in cities and towns, as well as, boondock in the country. Also, I would like the RV to be able to go “off the grid” and be “four seasons” ready as possible. One other additional concern would be that I must run an air conditioner for a few hours daily (minimum) using battery power vs. using a generator as I have three dogs that would stay in the RV while I explored or took care of chores in the city or town I was visiting.

For example, I have looked at the Winnebago Bolt which would fill my requirements, but I cannot afford the retail price of $206,944.00.

I am will add all the suggestions and websites that will be mentioned to my research list. I am deeply grateful for all your time and help. :bow:

Also, you don't have to purchase brand new. You can save a lot of money getting a nice used model, just look at them and make sure you are OK on the interior size...it's small, but, you can park it almost anywhere.

Here's a few pictures of my RV, it's pretty nice, I think....we paid about 50 percent of the new retail price.

One last thing, unless you are thinking of a Class A, forget four seasons.... Most of the Bs and B+ models are not four seasons....

RVThere 10-09-2019 05:37 PM

Good luck with running power hungry AC's with batteries. I don't even think the Bolt's lithiums will run a AC for 3 hours.

Why are you adverse to leaving the generator running to power the AC while you explore? The builtin generators are fuel efficient and reliable although a little noisy.

When we traveled with our dog we regularly left him in the cool comfort of the RV while we about our business.

My last R-Vision B+ had a little Onan generator that ran off the main gas tank. If I stopped overnight in a Rest Area, I found a spot away from everyone else, cranked the generator, turned on the AC, put in my ear plugs and slept soundly!

Winterbagoal 10-09-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Our Dreams (Post 4990063)

Some class B vans were set up to run A/C off of their batteries by using large amp hour configurations of lithium, because most class B vans are GVWR challenged, meaning they can't haul around 10 X 6V GC2 golf cart batteries, because of their weight. So adding a larger inverter, lots of LiFePO4 batteries, and a "soft start" A/C unit and you're off to the races.
The problem is finding one, used, in good shape, at a reasonable price.
Besides the Bolt, there's the Roadtrek E-Trek series (newer ones used lithium batteries), a smattering of Advanced RV models. Unfortunately, all are pricey.
There is another option a friend of mine tried and it worked. He added a window A/C unit that was much lower power consumption due to lower BTU cooling output, mounted it in one of the rear windows of his van, and ran it off a big inverter and battery bank supported by some engine idling alternator power. Because of the smaller physical living space in a B van, the 5000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool his van down sufficiently to make it comfortable, even in hot weather.
Many B vans and some small class Cs are 4 season capable, as manufacturers now seem to try to put the holding tanks inside the van body, or otherwise enclosed, to allow for heating via the propane furnace system.

magicbus 10-10-2019 07:59 AM

Of course where you are matters, but we find that we rarely need the AC when leaving the dogs, even in Florida. We crack the windows, put out the awning if it will provide needed shade, and use the roof fan to keep air moving constantly through the coach. When needed we just crank up the generator and give them AC, but it isn't often enough to go do an all electric setup.

I also agree that if you want to "stealth camp" go for a true B and not a B+.

Trekkar 10-10-2019 08:37 AM

As has already been discussed, you will have trade-offs. Four-season coaches with internalized water systems are relatively new and expensive. A/C w/o generator (solar) can also be very expensive. You did not indicate what you were willing to spend on a unit, so It's difficult to give specific options.

We have an older Roadtrek that we use all of the time. 2nd car, music festivals, city parking, boondocking, etc. we can go where we want when we want. We dry camp during freezing weather, and have not found this to be a hardship. Make sure that you find a unit that has a large enough bed. We've been in our unit for a while now, and this set up works well for us. We'll never go back to a class A. I hope you find the unit that's right for you.