iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Does anyone lock their baseplate pins? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/does-anyone-lock-their-baseplate-pins-464672.html)

maryinred 10-09-2019 01:25 PM

Does anyone lock their baseplate pins?

I have read that some sick people find pleasure in pushing the pins out of the baseplate and watching the coach take off with their toads dragging behind them. It can cause quite a bit of damage once you realize it and stop the coach causing the car to ram into the back of coach. I am not one of these people that has had this happened but I have read about this happening a couple of times, so far. I have approached this with my husband and he says that it takes a lot of force to have a pin come out and it would probably not happen. I guess it usually happens in a rest stops when people are not diligent in checking their towing equipment. He says that he doesn't want to add weight to our system and an added step to hooking up. I am always on the side of prevention. What do all of you say? Do you do this added step? I do put a padlock on my baseplate bar. Don't want someone walking away with the bar which stays on my car when we park. Thanks for your comments.

Waiter21 10-09-2019 01:32 PM

I have a lock on my tow bar so it doesn't disappear when the toad isn't connected.

I (we) always do a walkaround check before departing from any stop.

69Stang 10-09-2019 01:41 PM

On long trips or overnight trips I lock the pins. Short trips I don't lock them.

Oldmso54 10-09-2019 01:42 PM

I don't currently lock my pins, but... THAT is a seriously sick thing to do if true (removing someones lock pins). :angry:

I'm still trying to think of why someone would do that :confused::confused:

TriMoot 10-09-2019 01:49 PM

The PO had locks on the baseplate as well as the hitch so I just follow suit. Works great and gives us peace of mind.

dons2346 10-09-2019 03:00 PM

Heard the stories of pins being pulled but have never heard of someone with first hand knowledge of it happening to them. Seems the story is always from uncle Joe's second cousin's brother.

I don't lock the pins just in case there is a fire and I want separate the toad and coach in a hurry. I do have the tow bar locked to the coach

I always do a walk around before leaving a rest stop mostly checking tires.

TXiceman 10-09-2019 03:21 PM

If you do not lock the pins and stop for lunch or a potty break, aand leave the rV and dinghy unattended, do not trust anyone. There are some clowns that like to sneak around and pull folks pins. Same goes for pins on trailer hitches.

If you do not lock the pins, check them before you pull out.

Ken

SeeTheUSA 10-09-2019 03:24 PM

Always!

Renegade RV 10-09-2019 03:34 PM

I have locking pins on all connection points between my motorhome and the Jeep. It’s just peace of mind.

I also do a complete walk around each time we stop. I learned this discipline from close to 35 years towing a boat of sizes ranging from 18 to 30 ft.

Triple H 10-09-2019 04:32 PM

I use locks. Funny your hubby said he doesn’t want to add weight to the system. Hopefully you didn’t buy that, locks aren’t heavy.

Bikinjim 10-09-2019 05:23 PM

I use locks on all pins. I have had several people approach me in campgrounds and said that they were glad to see the locks on my pins as they had one tow bar arm come loose after someone pulled one of their locking pins at a stop.

Old-Biscuit 10-09-2019 06:20 PM

Not a fan of locks on equipment that needs to be routinely unpinned etc
FIRE......don't want to be fumbling with keys
Corroded locks.....difficult to get keys in and turn to unlock etc

Personally........make a 'equipment' check your ROUTINE
Check tires/brake drums-rotors/axle hubs/PINS in tow bars---Hitch handles/latches for TTs & FWs and WASTE DUMP Valves plus LIGHTS (turn/brake)

Only takes a couple extra minutes and then NO Surprises.

Solo_RV_Guy 10-09-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dons2346 (Post 4990176)
Heard the stories of pins being pulled but have never heard of someone with first hand knowledge of it happening to them. Seems the story is always from uncle Joe's second cousin's brother.

I don't lock the pins just in case there is a fire and I want separate the toad and coach in a hurry. I do have the tow bar locked to the coach

I always do a walk around before leaving a rest stop mostly checking tires.

^^^ THIS RIGHT HERE

I'm relatively new to RVing, only 7 years. I don't tow. I've yet to meet anyone this has happened to but hear about it nonetheless. Somebody's brothers cousins ex-wifes third husband had it happen, though!

I'd be interested if anyone knows of verifiable media reports - newspaper article, TV station report, etc - that can show this has happened more than a couple of times. I'm sure there are uncivilized folks who might find this funny but who actually did it... I suspect this is more urban legend than actual reality.

That said, I'd consider locks as theft deterrence, and my bet is the rate of theft of tow stuff left on the RV is about as minuscule as theft of in-line surge protectors - yeah, it's happened but not to you or anyone you know more than in passing.

It's good to be prudent but it's unhealthy to be paranoid.

USMCRET 10-09-2019 06:45 PM

Never.