iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Those with portable surge protector (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/those-with-portable-surge-protector-465222.html)

Jayco19 10-13-2019 08:35 PM

Those with portable surge protector

While plugged in at your home do you always use your surge protector?
I can see why to always use at campgrounds because of lots of things there. High demand on power causing low voltage- high voltage-bad wiring-etc etc. But at home those are not near as likely to happen. Just curious what other do.

Oldmso54 10-13-2019 08:41 PM

I do not surge protector at home - only at campgrounds. But all wiring, circuit breakers, box, plug, ect for the home power setup is only a year old.

bobmar 10-13-2019 09:35 PM

Donít use it at home. I know exactly how it was wired, with what materials and how old it is. Should be good to go!!

Newmar2856 10-13-2019 09:43 PM

I use a 30amp surge protector at home and a 50amp EMS unit at campgrounds.

Old-Biscuit 10-13-2019 10:39 PM

YEP......
Potable PI Unit
It is plugged in FIRST regardless...at CG, at Home, at friends etc

I have NO control over what the Power Company does
Got it and it would be silly NOT to use it

Poppy01 10-13-2019 10:41 PM

I use mine at home. Surges/brownouts happen too often. I see it like insurance. I never need it until something bad happens. Then, I'm glad I have it.

Snow66 10-14-2019 02:44 AM

Always use it, home and away. There are a lot of variables before the power even gets to my home.

vsheetz 10-14-2019 02:58 AM

Always.
Everywhere.
Stuff happens. Anywhere.

twinboat 10-14-2019 05:47 AM

If your not using it all of he time, why use it at all.
Even new wiring can develop a fault.

Your neighbor could cause a BIG voltage drop. Most houses share a transformer with a few others, just like a campground.

spdracr39 10-14-2019 06:14 AM

I just plug it in out of habit. It's free to use so why not.

EJW 10-14-2019 06:19 AM

I use mine at home out of habit and for cheap insurance.

nctox 10-14-2019 06:30 AM

Mine is hardwired so obviously I use it at home, but if I had chosen the portable type I would still use it at home.

Roger G 10-14-2019 09:23 AM

It's never plugged in unless the surge protection is used.

Dutch Star Don 10-14-2019 03:31 PM

I run two. My coach has a built in Progressive system that came with the coach. When camping I plug a $100 SurgeGuard portable into the shore power box. I figure if it takes a hit, it will save the built in system and I can stay up and running, then buy another.

Granite17 10-14-2019 05:31 PM

Always use it at home! you canít control power outages, spikes and brownouts. Why risk it? If you have a protector, use it!

mhs4771 10-14-2019 07:21 PM

Food for thought for all you using a portable surge protector/EMS: Did you ever give any thought to what would happen on a 50 Amp unit if you lost your neutral in the cable between your portable unit and the RV or at the RV's input??
There has been a few post on other Forums where that has happened, thankfully those folks were using a Hard Wired EMS and saved their units Electronics, other wise they would have toasted much of there Electronics.

Al Bundy 10-14-2019 07:31 PM

How would you just happen to lose your neutral?
I use my portable all the time
I use it when boondocking and on my portable generator too instead of using my 7k gen set
Found out i needed a neutral ground bonding plug and away we go

twinboat 10-14-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhs4771 (Post 4997121)
Food for thought for all you using a portable surge protector/EMS: Did you ever give any thought to what would happen on a 50 Amp unit if you lost your neutral in the cable between your portable unit and the RV or at the RV's input??
There has been a few post on other Forums where that has happened, thankfully those folks were using a Hard Wired EMS and saved their units Electronics, other wise they would have toasted much of there Electronics.

What if you lost the neutral after the the hard wired EMS ?

The neutral connection could fail at the neutral bus bar, right in the breaker panel. Then what ?

You can't protect from everything, everywhere.

2Yung2 Quit 10-14-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 4995941)
YEP......
Potable PI Unit
It is plugged in FIRST regardless...at CG, at Home, at friends etc

I have NO control over what the Power Company does
Got it and it would be silly NOT to use it

Me too. I already fried one computer in the house when the power company turned the power back on.

96 Wideglide 10-14-2019 07:48 PM

I use mine everytime I'm on shore power, including at home.

bobmar 10-14-2019 08:39 PM

Ok, ok, ok.......Iím wrong. $300 and sitting in a box donít help anything. Iíll use it always from now on!!! 40 yrs, same home location, no surges or anything, but.....ya never know.

?????Just throwiní this out there...Got to our campsite tonight and plugged in our Progressive Ind 50A EMS. Monitored parameters all good but when I plugged in the MH there was no power in the coach and the EMS still said all was ok. Removed the EMS and hooked straight to the coach and had power. EMS worked great on last use. Go figure.

Tip10 10-14-2019 09:33 PM

I always use a portable 30 amp EMS on the road.

Had a 35 year career with an electric utility.
Seen directly what happens down the line when drunks hit poles, lines start galloping in the wind, lightning blows a transformer off a pole, etc.

I always use a portable 30 amp EMS every time rig is plugged in ó on the road or at home.

Why not? Using it and not needing it costs nothing ó needing it and not using it........

96 Wideglide 10-14-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmar (Post 4997248)
Ok, ok, ok.......Iím wrong. $300 and sitting in a box donít help anything. Iíll use it always from now on!!! 40 yrs, same home location, no surges or anything, but.....ya never know.

?????Just throwiní this out there...Got to our campsite tonight and plugged in our Progressive Ind 50A EMS. Monitored parameters all good but when I plugged in the MH there was no power in the coach and the EMS still said all was ok. Removed the EMS and hooked straight to the coach and had power. EMS worked great on last use. Go figure.

Did you wait the 2.5 or 3 min for it to allow power to your coach?

Nudge 10-14-2019 09:45 PM

We have a surge protector built into the main breaker of our house. You’d be surprised what a close lighting strike could do to. Smart appliances are especially sensitive. Rather be safe than sorry.

bobmar 10-14-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide (Post 4997330)
Did you wait the 2.5 or 3 min for it to allow power to your coach?

Thought I did. Iíll try again in the morning. Never had to before but Iíll give it a better shot. Thanks!!!

schad 10-15-2019 07:41 AM

I don't use mine at the storage facility where I park my RV. I'm worried that it might grow legs and walk away.

If I could park my RV at my house, yes, I would use it there. Power surges are about as likely to happen at a house as at a CG. A few years ago, a lightning strike somewhere nearby fried my cable modem and a bunch of ports on my firewall. If I remember correctly, it also blew out half the incandescent light bulbs in the house.

Podivin 10-15-2019 07:52 AM

If the RV is plugged, the surge protector is plugged in. There's no reason to NOT use it, as far as I'm concerned.

GCSuper 10-15-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schad (Post 4997612)
I don't use mine at the storage facility where I park my RV. I'm worried that it might grow legs and walk away.

If I could park my RV at my house, yes, I would use it there. Power surges are about as likely to happen at a house as at a CG. A few years ago, a lightning strike somewhere nearby fried my cable modem and a bunch of ports on my firewall. If I remember correctly, it also blew out half the incandescent light bulbs in the house.

Why don't you just put it in your electrical storage compartment ? That's how we do ours in storage.

Peteyboy 10-16-2019 04:14 PM

I bought a surge protector because of a power surge at home that fried my transfer switch. If you think nothing can happen at home you are mistaken.

AbdRahim 10-16-2019 05:47 PM

Those with portable surge protector

Yes, I never plug in anywhere without my portable EMS. It found an open ground at home once. It shut off power to the rig. Without it, the rig had a hot skin. Good thing I don't walk barefoot and the ground was not wet.

Also, we get lots of power outages and brown outs, etc here. I feel it is best to be protected. If we stay here permanently, I will look into a whole house surge protector.

twinboat 10-16-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbdRahim (Post 4999631)
Yes, I never plug in anywhere without my portable EMS. It found an open ground at home once. It shut off power to the rig. Without it, the rig had a hot skin. Good thing I don't walk barefoot and the ground was not wet.

Also, we get lots of power outages and brown outs, etc here. I feel it is best to be protected. If we stay here permanently, I will look into a whole house surge protector.

Having a hot skin due to an open ground means you have a short from a current carrying wire to ground in the RV.

The ground is a safety wire and not meant to carry current unless something is wrong.

AbdRahim 10-16-2019 09:28 PM

It was in the wall of the house, on the same line as the RV was plugged into. I had to pull each outlet on the line out of the wall until I found it. Wire pulled out of the back of the plug, in the wall. Some day I need to wrap each wire around the screw in every outlet in the house. Others have also pull out on their own.

schad 10-17-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCSuper (Post 4998432)
Why don't you just put it in your electrical storage compartment ? That's how we do ours in storage.

Our cord is hardwired into our transfer switch, so the only place the EMS can go is outside the coach.

Although, since we only have 20A service there, I suppose we could just run a regular extension cord into the bay. Might be worth doing, although I would definitely want a heavier-duty extension cord than I currently have. My current ones all get burning hot just when I use them to run my little tire inflator.

Does the 50A Progressive EMS work properly on 15/20A service, or does it interpret the missing leg as a wiring fault? I would hope it works, but I've never tried.

brialin 10-17-2019 09:30 AM

Ours is hardwired but even if it wasn't I would still use it. We have had brown outs here and I would go and shut off the main breaker until the power company fixed things.

creativepart 10-17-2019 09:34 AM

Not at home, only at CGs for me.

bgholson 10-17-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmar (Post 4997248)

Same thing happened to me. Returned the unit as faulty and progressive replaced it

RI Expat 10-17-2019 04:40 PM

I use a portable protector that also cuts out for high and low voltage. Instead of going through the hassle of locking it to a pedestal, I cut the cord to the RV, put a male end on the shortened RV line, mounted the protector in the bay, put a female end on the former RV cable, mounted the remote display in the coach with the other control panels. Now, my protector is always connected, and can be easily replaced if it ever sacrifices itself for a big surge. And it is always secure in the locked bay. Less than $25 worth of plugs and electrical tape. Cheaper than a lock and chain and a lot less hassle and bulk.

bobmar 10-17-2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgholson (Post 5000384)
Same thing happened to me. Returned the unit as faulty and progressive replaced it

Well.......after ďfurtherĒ reading we found that it indeed has a time delay for self checking power supply circuits. Set a timer, sip a beer and, if unit says all is ok, watch/hear it click close and power up the coach in its allotted time frame. Pretty smart. Works great...at the CG and home.

mikena 10-20-2019 04:28 PM

I use the surge protector at home because a surge can still occur. Because itís less likely to happen doesnít mean it wonít happen.

762vram2043 10-20-2019 04:58 PM

We don't use surge protector at home. But of course not much is turned on, night light is only 120 Volt load routinely energized. Overhead lights are all 12V, are seldom on as we don't go into rig very often once we've unloaded if after a trip.

hencye 10-20-2019 04:58 PM

Always On

I'm an electrical engineer that chose to be involved in high end home automation, controls, etc for a living for almost 30 years. I've used surge protection on everything valuable to me for as long as I can remember. I have a surge protector directly wired to my home and a Surge Guard unit directly wired to my 5th wheel. They both are employed 100% of the time. I've seen some crazy stuff happen from out of nowhere. Nothing can stop direct hits of lighting, but these both do a good job at 99% of what hits. Don't forget though when it comes to lightning, that most of the time they come from cable, TV antennas, telephone, and internet wires, so protect them as well! I chose the Surge Guard that is kept locked up in my basement because I don't want it stolen! Works great!

Glensouth 10-20-2019 04:59 PM

I donít use mine at home. I know I have clean power there.

StageCoachDr 10-20-2019 05:45 PM

Using it at home will not damage or wear out the surge protector. Some 5er's and MH's have it built in so they use them all the time. Just use it.

bobwilcox 10-20-2019 05:47 PM

I'm confused...

You have already invested in the surge protector...Why would you NOT use it (everywhere)?

rhodesaz 10-20-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsheetz (Post 4996030)
Always.
Everywhere.
Stuff happens. Anywhere.

Steve 716 10-20-2019 06:49 PM

Keep your surge protector connected. Here's why:

Before I went full time i owned a house on Tybee Island, GA. The island borders the Atlantic Ocean so we had a "salty" environment. I built a pad beside my house for my RV and kept it plugged into a 120 volt outlet to keep my batteries charged. One day my lights started going from dim to super bright rapidly. After shutting down everything electrical in the house I called the power company. They came out and found a salt block the size of my fist on the incoming power lines that was causing large surges. I lost a TV and some appliances in the process but my RV was fine. When parked I always kept my RV surge protector connected. If I didn't would my RV have been damaged? Probably. Did leaving my surge protector connected prevented any damage. I believe it did. I ALWAYS keep it connected to my RV.

elliott-maine 10-20-2019 07:06 PM

Always.

GCSuper 10-20-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schad (Post 5000209)
Our cord is hardwired into our transfer switch, so the only place the EMS can go is outside the coach.

Although, since we only have 20A service there, I suppose we could just run a regular extension cord into the bay. Might be worth doing, although I would definitely want a heavier-duty extension cord than I currently have. My current ones all get burning hot just when I use them to run my little tire inflator.

Does the 50A Progressive EMS work properly on 15/20A service, or does it interpret the missing leg as a wiring fault? I would hope it works, but I've never tried.

Now you got me thinking. I haven't checked it in a while when it's in storage, but I think it just shows L1 @ 120 volts.

38Chevy454 10-20-2019 07:32 PM

It's a good question, not sure why I haven't been using mine at home. As several have said, can't know what might happen at home or away.

Mr.Disaster 10-20-2019 07:50 PM

Surge protector

I use my surge protector every time every place. Good habits need to be maintained or they will go bad.

kljtn 10-20-2019 08:44 PM

Prior to this past summer we did not. Our electrical got hit by lightning, taking out our transfer switch, the inverter, and the refrigerator. Yes, we now use it at home, as well as campgrounds.

Rossi6998 10-20-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobwilcox (Post 5004596)
I'm confused...

You have already invested in the surge protector...Why would you NOT use it (everywhere)?

That is what I was thinking. A little extra protection never hurts.

egwilly 10-20-2019 08:55 PM

I would use mine at home, but it would be visable from the sidewalk and street.

It would grow legs fast! Not willing to loose my $250 investment to some clown.

Remlap 10-20-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayco19 (Post 4995768)
I can see why to always use at campgrounds because of lots of things there. High demand on power causing low voltage- high voltage-bad wiring-etc etc. But at home those are not near as likely to happen. Just curious what other do.

Anytime I connect electric, I use surge protector, regardless of where I am.

Gordon Dewald 10-20-2019 09:15 PM

Yes.

jaysigel 10-20-2019 10:18 PM

Absolutely! Our home's electric supply is about as subject to power surges as anywhere else. Our RV's surge protector is hardwired, so it is always working, except when using the RV's generator, to which it is not connected.
We also had surge protectors installed on our house, although some say that they're not very effective. Prior to installing them, we had multiple appliance failures (microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, satellite receiver) and none since installing them, so they seem to be working as designed for us.

NeilV 10-20-2019 10:49 PM

I live in the Tampa Florida Area and like many other parts of the country the wiring in my home is not the deciding factor on whether to use a surge protector or not, its the local weather conditions, power surges coming in from the electrical grid and more importantly low power situations due to brownouts.

To me its even more important to have a voltage correction device along with surge protection to deal with rolling brownouts that occur constantly throughout the day.

When I put a UPS in to protect my PC and another on the entertainment center it really opened my eyes since I leave the audible alerts turned on so it was quite an education to hear how many times each day power levels would drop to where the UPS would kick in and provide a boost from battery backup.

I started monitoring my Autoformer in the RV when plugged in at home after that and yes it goes into boost mode many times during the day as voltage level drop unacceptably low from the power grid.

So yes I always use both surge protection and power correction even when at home. I am also considering getting a whole house voltage correction unit so I can enjoy the same level of reliability that comes from having proper voltage levels throughout the house instead of just at select outlets that have the Autoformer or a UPS on them.

Oldforester1 10-20-2019 10:49 PM

I usually do use the surge protector on the MH when plugged on the house system. We get unannounced power outages from time to time and often with a surge when ic comes back on. I also have surge protectors on all my appliances. Lost the washer once and don't want that to happen again.

bobfrommaine 10-20-2019 11:12 PM

It's on the end of my power cord. I got it, it won't wear out, it is cheap insurance. When I can, I'll replace my transfer switch with one which has surge protection built in.
Bob '14 Winnebago ADventurer 37F, Jeep Toad

TriMoot 10-21-2019 04:50 AM

Yup, always plugged in.

jeddpearl 10-21-2019 10:00 AM

surge protector

Wow!! I don't own one but you can bet I will by the next time I go camping. Just didn't realize how important they are and how many people use them.
I'm glad I read this thread:eek:
Thanks, everyone:)

Recalculatin 10-21-2019 10:44 AM

I agree and use it at home as well, even though I have a whole house surge protector installed at the meter.

AbdRahim 10-21-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hencye (Post 5004514)
Don't forget though when it comes to lightning, that most of the time they come from cable, TV antennas, telephone, and internet wires, so protect them as well! I chose the Surge Guard that is kept locked up in my basement because I don't want it stolen! Works great!

Been there done that. Heard the lightning hit the ground on the side of the house where the cable and phone wires come in. Took out one entire computer, phone modem on another, microwave, etc.

stew1 10-21-2019 12:06 PM

All the time

TriMoot 10-21-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddpearl (Post 5005544)
Wow!! I don't own one but you can bet I will by the next time I go camping. Just didn't realize how important they are and how many people use them.
I'm glad I read this thread:eek:
Thanks, everyone:)

Hey JeddPearl. Yeah, I didn't own one either...they're not cheap..they're also not too expensive. But this past summer I knew we'd be camping at various campgrounds with full hookups, which was a bit different for us. We prefer to boondock whenever possible, but this time I booked all the CG's a few months in advance, so I wanted to be safe.

Oh, and the other reason is we finally started towing a car so I knew we'd be leaving the RV plugged in all day while we were gallivanting all over the place with the toad. FREEDOM! Normally we'd take our bikes or RV for sightseeing. So having the Surge Protector was peace of mind while away. And yes, I would lock it to the pedestal...just in case.

TPS12 10-21-2019 12:36 PM

If you own it why not use it

I own it so I use it wherever I am.

Ken Thompson 10-21-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Itís wired in permanently. I live out in the country and power goes out at least once a year. Why would you risk a power spike or surge doing damage?

jedicole 10-21-2019 04:07 PM

I always use it ... even with my 50 amp home hook up. Easier than disconnecting it at home anyway!

Janjim 10-22-2019 04:58 AM

At home everywhere there are electronics there are surge protectors.

4dakids 10-22-2019 05:17 AM

We have a 30 amp outlet at home and I have a 50 amp PI portable power mgt/surge protector. I wasn't sure if it would work plugging into 50-30 pigtail?
It makes sense to protect it at home too.

Fletcher0077 11-05-2019 01:02 AM

I use a 50A portable Progressive EMS when on the road but haven't used it at home. Hadn't thought of it. Good idea. Only use 120V to keep batteries charged, all else is off.
BTW I purchased EMS in 2008. Plugged in to 30 foot, 30A TT 24/7 for 8 years. Worked great. This summer traveling in MH severe rain on east coast found it's way into the EMS through the outlet I believe and it stopped working. The older ones didn't have the plastic cover over the outlet. Replacement within a week under warranty and Progressive even paid the shipping. Can't say enough good about Progressive.

DurangoNick 11-06-2019 04:42 AM

Quote:

Absolutely. Only takes a couple of minutes to make sure. I own the thing to use.

Ret.LEO 11-10-2019 05:46 PM

I use a surge protector at home for all my important electronics so why wouldn't I?