iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Those with portable surge protector (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/those-with-portable-surge-protector-465222.html)

Granite17 10-14-2019 05:31 PM

Always use it at home! you canít control power outages, spikes and brownouts. Why risk it? If you have a protector, use it!

mhs4771 10-14-2019 07:21 PM

Food for thought for all you using a portable surge protector/EMS: Did you ever give any thought to what would happen on a 50 Amp unit if you lost your neutral in the cable between your portable unit and the RV or at the RV's input??
There has been a few post on other Forums where that has happened, thankfully those folks were using a Hard Wired EMS and saved their units Electronics, other wise they would have toasted much of there Electronics.

Al Bundy 10-14-2019 07:31 PM

How would you just happen to lose your neutral?
I use my portable all the time
I use it when boondocking and on my portable generator too instead of using my 7k gen set
Found out i needed a neutral ground bonding plug and away we go

twinboat 10-14-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhs4771 (Post 4997121)
Food for thought for all you using a portable surge protector/EMS: Did you ever give any thought to what would happen on a 50 Amp unit if you lost your neutral in the cable between your portable unit and the RV or at the RV's input??
There has been a few post on other Forums where that has happened, thankfully those folks were using a Hard Wired EMS and saved their units Electronics, other wise they would have toasted much of there Electronics.

What if you lost the neutral after the the hard wired EMS ?

The neutral connection could fail at the neutral bus bar, right in the breaker panel. Then what ?

You can't protect from everything, everywhere.

2Yung2 Quit 10-14-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 4995941)
YEP......
Potable PI Unit
It is plugged in FIRST regardless...at CG, at Home, at friends etc

I have NO control over what the Power Company does
Got it and it would be silly NOT to use it

Me too. I already fried one computer in the house when the power company turned the power back on.

96 Wideglide 10-14-2019 07:48 PM

I use mine everytime I'm on shore power, including at home.

bobmar 10-14-2019 08:39 PM

Ok, ok, ok.......Iím wrong. $300 and sitting in a box donít help anything. Iíll use it always from now on!!! 40 yrs, same home location, no surges or anything, but.....ya never know.

?????Just throwiní this out there...Got to our campsite tonight and plugged in our Progressive Ind 50A EMS. Monitored parameters all good but when I plugged in the MH there was no power in the coach and the EMS still said all was ok. Removed the EMS and hooked straight to the coach and had power. EMS worked great on last use. Go figure.

Tip10 10-14-2019 09:33 PM

I always use a portable 30 amp EMS on the road.

Had a 35 year career with an electric utility.
Seen directly what happens down the line when drunks hit poles, lines start galloping in the wind, lightning blows a transformer off a pole, etc.

I always use a portable 30 amp EMS every time rig is plugged in ó on the road or at home.

Why not? Using it and not needing it costs nothing ó needing it and not using it........

96 Wideglide 10-14-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmar (Post 4997248)
Ok, ok, ok.......Iím wrong. $300 and sitting in a box donít help anything. Iíll use it always from now on!!! 40 yrs, same home location, no surges or anything, but.....ya never know.

?????Just throwiní this out there...Got to our campsite tonight and plugged in our Progressive Ind 50A EMS. Monitored parameters all good but when I plugged in the MH there was no power in the coach and the EMS still said all was ok. Removed the EMS and hooked straight to the coach and had power. EMS worked great on last use. Go figure.

Did you wait the 2.5 or 3 min for it to allow power to your coach?

Nudge 10-14-2019 09:45 PM

We have a surge protector built into the main breaker of our house. You’d be surprised what a close lighting strike could do to. Smart appliances are especially sensitive. Rather be safe than sorry.

bobmar 10-14-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide (Post 4997330)
Did you wait the 2.5 or 3 min for it to allow power to your coach?

Thought I did. Iíll try again in the morning. Never had to before but Iíll give it a better shot. Thanks!!!

schad 10-15-2019 07:41 AM

I don't use mine at the storage facility where I park my RV. I'm worried that it might grow legs and walk away.

If I could park my RV at my house, yes, I would use it there. Power surges are about as likely to happen at a house as at a CG. A few years ago, a lightning strike somewhere nearby fried my cable modem and a bunch of ports on my firewall. If I remember correctly, it also blew out half the incandescent light bulbs in the house.

Podivin 10-15-2019 07:52 AM

If the RV is plugged, the surge protector is plugged in. There's no reason to NOT use it, as far as I'm concerned.

GCSuper 10-15-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schad (Post 4997612)
I don't use mine at the storage facility where I park my RV. I'm worried that it might grow legs and walk away.

If I could park my RV at my house, yes, I would use it there. Power surges are about as likely to happen at a house as at a CG. A few years ago, a lightning strike somewhere nearby fried my cable modem and a bunch of ports on my firewall. If I remember correctly, it also blew out half the incandescent light bulbs in the house.

Why don't you just put it in your electrical storage compartment ? That's how we do ours in storage.