iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Those with portable surge protector (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/those-with-portable-surge-protector-465222.html)

StageCoachDr 10-20-2019 05:45 PM

Using it at home will not damage or wear out the surge protector. Some 5er's and MH's have it built in so they use them all the time. Just use it.

bobwilcox 10-20-2019 05:47 PM

I'm confused...

You have already invested in the surge protector...Why would you NOT use it (everywhere)?

rhodesaz 10-20-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsheetz (Post 4996030)
Always.
Everywhere.
Stuff happens. Anywhere.

Steve 716 10-20-2019 06:49 PM

Keep your surge protector connected. Here's why:

Before I went full time i owned a house on Tybee Island, GA. The island borders the Atlantic Ocean so we had a "salty" environment. I built a pad beside my house for my RV and kept it plugged into a 120 volt outlet to keep my batteries charged. One day my lights started going from dim to super bright rapidly. After shutting down everything electrical in the house I called the power company. They came out and found a salt block the size of my fist on the incoming power lines that was causing large surges. I lost a TV and some appliances in the process but my RV was fine. When parked I always kept my RV surge protector connected. If I didn't would my RV have been damaged? Probably. Did leaving my surge protector connected prevented any damage. I believe it did. I ALWAYS keep it connected to my RV.

elliott-maine 10-20-2019 07:06 PM

Always.

GCSuper 10-20-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schad (Post 5000209)
Our cord is hardwired into our transfer switch, so the only place the EMS can go is outside the coach.

Although, since we only have 20A service there, I suppose we could just run a regular extension cord into the bay. Might be worth doing, although I would definitely want a heavier-duty extension cord than I currently have. My current ones all get burning hot just when I use them to run my little tire inflator.

Does the 50A Progressive EMS work properly on 15/20A service, or does it interpret the missing leg as a wiring fault? I would hope it works, but I've never tried.

Now you got me thinking. I haven't checked it in a while when it's in storage, but I think it just shows L1 @ 120 volts.

38Chevy454 10-20-2019 07:32 PM

It's a good question, not sure why I haven't been using mine at home. As several have said, can't know what might happen at home or away.

Mr.Disaster 10-20-2019 07:50 PM

Surge protector

I use my surge protector every time every place. Good habits need to be maintained or they will go bad.

kljtn 10-20-2019 08:44 PM

Prior to this past summer we did not. Our electrical got hit by lightning, taking out our transfer switch, the inverter, and the refrigerator. Yes, we now use it at home, as well as campgrounds.

Rossi6998 10-20-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobwilcox (Post 5004596)
I'm confused...

You have already invested in the surge protector...Why would you NOT use it (everywhere)?

That is what I was thinking. A little extra protection never hurts.

egwilly 10-20-2019 08:55 PM

I would use mine at home, but it would be visable from the sidewalk and street.

It would grow legs fast! Not willing to loose my $250 investment to some clown.

Remlap 10-20-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayco19 (Post 4995768)
While plugged in at your home do you always use your surge protector?
I can see why to always use at campgrounds because of lots of things there. High demand on power causing low voltage- high voltage-bad wiring-etc etc. But at home those are not near as likely to happen. Just curious what other do.

Anytime I connect electric, I use surge protector, regardless of where I am.

Gordon Dewald 10-20-2019 09:15 PM

Yes.

jaysigel 10-20-2019 10:18 PM

Absolutely! Our home's electric supply is about as subject to power surges as anywhere else. Our RV's surge protector is hardwired, so it is always working, except when using the RV's generator, to which it is not connected.
We also had surge protectors installed on our house, although some say that they're not very effective. Prior to installing them, we had multiple appliance failures (microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, satellite receiver) and none since installing them, so they seem to be working as designed for us.